Default Home Depot at home services, any good reports?

hearing an reading so many bad things about the companies homedepot
sends. Has anyone been pleased?

toller

They use independent contractors, so your service is a crapshoot.
That said, I have been happy with them twice on carpet installation.

Roger

wrote in message
ps.com...
hearing an reading so many bad things about the companies homedepot
sends. Has anyone been pleased?

Had them install countertops. Got it wrong (tilted) but insisted it was ok.
Finally had them fix it, but some of their contractors cannot seem to find
work on their own, and the reason is beginning to be clear to me. Might
work out if you are technically oriented , and are there the whole time the
work is being done.

DaveG

wrote in message
ps.com...
hearing an reading so many bad things about the companies homedepot
sends. Has anyone been pleased?

They replaced my carpet 5 years ago, and the installers did an excellent
job.
We are scheduling again with HD for carpet in our newly finished basement.
Around here, HD uses independent installers, they are not employees.
The way I figure, no matter where or who you contract for installation
services, the quality of the crew is a crap shoot.

Edward Grant

In article P5sHd.15063$eT5.625@attbi_s51,
"DaveG" wrote:

wrote in message
ps.com...
hearing an reading so many bad things about the companies homedepot
sends. Has anyone been pleased?

They replaced my carpet 5 years ago, and the installers did an excellent
job.
We are scheduling again with HD for carpet in our newly finished basement.
Around here, HD uses independent installers, they are not employees.
The way I figure, no matter where or who you contract for installation
services, the quality of the crew is a crap shoot.

They installed countertops for me a couple months ago and did a great
job.

Noozer

snip

Given the odds, which do you think will come out better most often?

All depends on if you can actually find someone to come and do the work in
the first place!

effi

excellent post, robert, you hit the proverbial nail on the head

"Robert Allison" wrote in message

wrote:
hearing an reading so many bad things about the companies homedepot
sends. Has anyone been pleased?

Here is a slightly different take on this and one that may help you to
understand the process.

About 5 years ago, business was a bit slow, so I looked into having my
company do installations for HD. I talked to the fellow in charge and he
wanted me to fill out the application, credit history, etc. before he
would talk to me about the work.

I went through all the 9 pages of info and finally was able to talk about
pricing, policies, etc. Come to find out that what they offered me (the
contractor) to do the work was less than 50% of what I normally would
charge. As an example, I usually charge 200.00 to remove an entry door
and install a new one (door, jamb, casing, hardware). They were offering
79.00. There is no way I can do it for that much.

What this does is force the subs to be the lowest on the totem pole in
terms of pay, so the job must be done as fast as possible. No time to pay
much attention to detail, as they must do three of these installations to
make as much as I do on one.

HD charges about what I do to install the door (about 200.00), so the
choice is pay HD where they get the lions share and the actual installer
gets a pittance, or just pay a contractor directly.

Given the odds, which do you think will come out better most often?

--
Robert Allison Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

wrote in message
ps.com...
hearing an reading so many bad things about the companies homedepot
sends. Has anyone been pleased?

*shrug* They're a moderately big warehouse with a lot stuff
of randomly distributed quality, conveniently located and only
slightly overpriced. If you're after something unusual, or
high quality, or your after expertise, they're not for you.
If you're after a canned solution to a generic homeowner problem,
they're fine.