Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
TH TH is offline

Default Home Depot return policy w/out receipt

On Mar 3, 4:17 pm, "Walter Cohen" wrote:
Anyone know what HD's return policy is if you do not have a receipt? I know
they take your drivers license number but is there a cap as to how much
stuff ($) you can return without a receipt before they disallow it?
I know Walmart puts you on a 'black' list and after a while (not sure how
you define 'a while') they disallow you returning items.

Anyway, I purchased a small $ item last year ($13.96 door closer) and didn't
need it. I looked far and wide for the receipt and couldn't locate it so I
took the item back to HD and got a gift card (which is ok because I'm always
in their store).
Wouldn't you know it the next day I was cleaning off my desk and came across
the receipt!
Of course the receipt was 9 months old(!) and the receipt states they would
take the receipt items back for 90 days so it is doubtful if I could have
used the receipt to return the item. Too bad I can't go back (or call HQ)
and give them the receipt and have them take me off their 'list'.

Walter

I can't count the number of times I have returned stuff to HD without
a receipt. I always buy more than I think I'll need, and return the
unused stuff after I'm done. I even found a bag of some items over a
year old, told them it was that old, and they still took it back. As
long as it shows up on their scanner, they'll take it back. They're
not going to put you on any list, unless maybe they catch you trying
to scam them. They will give you the lowest price that it has sold
for. Last time I took things back without a receipt, the Gal was able
to look it up on the computer because I used my Debit card.