Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Thanks.

--
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at:

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

We usually fill the bath tub with cold water. Nearby for flushing. Handy for
cooking if you have a gas stove. I have one kerosene lamp. Flashlights and
batteries for a small portable radio.
I ususally light the oven and place a pot of water on top.. Stay out of the
freezer if possible. Know what you need from the fridge before opening the
door. Five years in AK will teach you all these things.

--
"Anybody can have more birthdays, but it takes balls to get old!"

BetsyB

"Jonathan Grobe" wrote in message
We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Thanks.

--
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at:
http://www.grobebooks.com

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Jonathan Grobe wrote:

We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Thanks.

I have two deep cycle batteries with small inverters that will run the
TV and computer for several hours. I also have a 4 KW generator that
will take care of the heat, refrigerator, and freezer; as well as the
neighbors.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Jonathan Grobe" wrote in message
We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

I prepared for this by living in California.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Jonathan Grobe" wrote in message
We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

I keep some candles, flashlights, kerosene lamps around, I keep the propane
bottles filled so we can grill if we want, but since we have a gas range,
only the oven is affected. City water is not a problem either. If I lived
in a very rural area I'd have a generator. In my entire life, only after
Hurricane Gloria were we without power for about 30 hours. Longest time
otherwise is maybe an hour. Give that 60 year history I can't justify
spending a lot of money for equipment.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Jonathan Grobe" wrote in message
We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Thanks.

--
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at:
http://www.grobebooks.com

My house has a well and sump pump which are critical. First thing I did
when I bought the house 18 months ago was to buy a 6 kW gasoline powered
generator, and had an electrician install a 10 breaker panel in my basement
and an external outlet to connect the generator to the panel. I selected
the 10 most critical circuits to run on the generator, including the well
pump, the sump pump, the fridge, and my oil furnace. I also keep 10 gallons
of gas in the garage. Haven't had an outage yet, but I can sleep at night.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Gil Faver wrote:
"Jonathan Grobe" wrote in message
We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

I prepared for this by living in California.

Right, because California is the least likely state to have a natural
disaster.

Karen, who lived in the Bay area for 13 years

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Jonathan Grobe wrote:

We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours.
I was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Nothing, because we never get power outages that long.

I just read stuff on the laptop, currently Slick's memoirs, when the power is out.

I have considered getting a cheap generator, but whenever I do,
I decide that we dont get long enough power outages to justify it.
Likely I will get one anyway, they're so cheap.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

I have a drawer full of high powered flashlights and batteries
including two that plug into outlets go on when the power stops.
Also two battery powered radios, one a headset, the other with speakers.
As for food, plenty of canned food,water and dehydrated stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jonathan Grobe wrote in
:

We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Thanks.

I have a couple of battery-powered fluorescent lights,more LED
flashlights,a charcoal grill for cooking.

If you have a home,you could get a generator,couple of KW at least,and keep
some gasoline on hand to run it.That will keep your fridge cold and food
unspoiled,run a TV/radio,fans in hot weather.You need a big generator to
run AC or heating,and then a power transfer box is best and safest to
couple the gen to your home wiring.

I live in an apartment,so there are some things I can't do.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Jonathan Grobe wrote:
We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Nothing -- it's 66F outside. ;-)

Seriously, though, I usually prepare by making sure I have all my sets
of rechargeable batteries charged up so I can use them in a flashlight,
making sure I have some food I can eat without having to cook it,
and making sure I have some clean water just in case.

The biggest challenge is keeping frozen and refrigerated items good.
One approach for a short power outage is to just put some containers
(like old plastic milk bottles, or 2 liters from soft drinks) in the
freezer and let them freeze solid. One or two of the resulting
blocks of ice can be moved from the freezer to the fridge, and the
ones that stay in the freezer keep the thermal mass higher, which
means the temperature rises more slowly as the heat leaks in from
outside. It also helps to leave the fridge and freezer door shut
and never open them.

Of course, if it's already really cold, you can just move the food
outside, although in certain environments animals might steal it.

- Logan
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 20:44:10 +0000 (UTC), Jonathan Grobe
wrote:

We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Making more friends.

Despite the stories, my food keeps cold for at least 3 days without
electricity. Thawing freezer food may hurt the taste when it
refreezes, but it won't hurt you. But certain freezer food I make a
point to eat when I have no electricity (ice cream) and shortly
thereafter.

Sour milk is hard to drink, but poses no risk. My mother would make
sour milk pancakes when she somehow had some. (This doesn't work, I
think, when the curds and whey have separated.) I just add a lot
chocolate syrup, and I can drink a quart in the time it takes from a
bit sour to too sour to drink at all.

Thanks.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Gil Faver wrote:
"Jonathan Grobe" wrote in message
We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

I prepared for this by living in California.

When I lived in California (the Bay Area, specifically), we had a
power outage that lasted well over 48 hours because of a "storm".
In this "storm", the winds got up to a whopping 20 miles/hour, and
we received maybe 2 inches of rain in a 24-hour period. It turns
out PG&E had just cut a bunch of jobs in order to save money a few
months earlier, and the jobs they cut were the people who were
responsible for maintaining the lines (making sure trees were
trimmed and so on) and repairing them. So a bunch of tree limbs
fell on the lines and cut out power, and it took forever to
repair them, so we were without power for days even though nothing
big had really happened.

Luckily we had a natural gas water heater which did not need
electricity to start, and it was January so it was not too cold
outside, and we did fine without heat. But it was still stupid.

- Logan
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

wrote:

We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Thanks.

Generator and 2 week's worth of fuel in drums. Probably another week's
worth in the diesel truck. Plenty of firewood for the fireplace
stove. I always have enough food on hand to eat for a month so that's
not an issue. The generator runs the well pump so no issue with
water.

If all else fails there is my motorhome sitting in the driveway,
always fueled and watered and ready to go. I can "dry camp" for a
couple of weeks with the on-board stores if I'm careful.

I rather enjoy power outages of up to perhaps a week. Then feedin'
the generator gets a bit tedious. I don't believe in curtailing my
lifestyle during an outage so I have a 10kw homemade diesel generator
and an 8kw commercially made gas unit as backup. Never had to use the
backup except during tests.

John
---
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
Don't let your schooling interfere with your education-Mark Twain
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

wrote:

We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Thanks.

BTW, it's times like this that you'll look back on and remember.
Everyday life is normally so uneventful that it is remembered as one
big blur. I don't think I'm the only one to feel this way.

Last night I heard a story by a man I know who was guarding the food
supply of his town in Siberia in 1944 with minus 40 degree F. weather.
He was feeling bad at night, fever, so he got on his small sleigh and
told the horse to go back to town, a mile or two. But he passed out
and fell off the sleigh. Woke up and had no idea where he was. All
there was was snow and stars. After a while, he saw the horse in the
distance. The horse stopped when it noticed that my friend wasn't on
the sleigh. So he caught up to the horse and iirc tied himself to the
sleigh this time, or at least held on. He passed out again, and later
found out that he made it to town, and then they took him to the next
town a couple miles further, where there was a hospital.

It's been 63 years and of course he still remembers this story. It's
makes the piddling winters we have in Baltimore (even with 2 or 3
weeks of 20-30 degree weather, and our 3rd snow storm all day today)
seem even more piddling. I'm sure they don't bother him, at age 80 or
so.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Jonathan Grobe wrote:
We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Stock up on ammunition.

With enough ammunition, all other things are obtainable.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Why fill the bathtub? Does a power failure cause your water to quit?

If he's using a deep well pump he's relying on the electricity to operate
the pump unlike gavity feed for municipal (public) systems.

--
Steve Barker

"betsyb" wrote in message
We usually fill the bath tub with cold water. Nearby for flushing. Handy
for cooking if you have a gas stove. I have one kerosene lamp.
Flashlights and batteries for a small portable radio.
I ususally light the oven and place a pot of water on top.. Stay out of
the freezer if possible. Know what you need from the fridge before
opening the door. Five years in AK will teach you all these things.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Steve Barker" ) writes:
Why fill the bathtub? Does a power failure cause your water to quit?

The pumps at the filtration plant stop working if the outage is bad
enough. At the very lest, it results in contaminated water.

Michael

--
Steve Barker

"betsyb" wrote in message
We usually fill the bath tub with cold water. Nearby for flushing. Handy
for cooking if you have a gas stove. I have one kerosene lamp. Flashlights
and batteries for a small portable radio.
I ususally light the oven and place a pot of water on top.. Stay out of
the freezer if possible. Know what you need from the fridge before opening
the door. Five years in AK will teach you all these things.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

In article , Logan Shaw wrote:

When I lived in California (the Bay Area, specifically), we had a
power outage that lasted well over 48 hours because of a "storm".
In this "storm", the winds got up to a whopping 20 miles/hour, and
we received maybe 2 inches of rain in a 24-hour period.

I experienced the same thing -- probably not the same storm
though! In any case, living without power for 48 hours
is really quite miserable.

I just got up early, went to the office and shaved and
showered there. Worked late, ate out and went home to
sleep.

Home really was nothing more than a place to sleep.

Now that I work at home and have three kids, it would
suck very much indeed!

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Jonathan Grobe" wrote in message
We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Thanks.

There's a wealth of info on this site and other 'preparedness' and
'survival' sites (the later being a bit hardcore but having some useful
tips). Check www.ready.gov for some tips too. If you have any LDS (aka
Mormon) neighbors, they have literature on preparedness at little or no
cost.

I like the suggestions about flashlights and would add one more along that
vein. Keep one under your bed at easy reach. We started keeping camping
lanterns (use the big 1.5v battery) under every bed in the house. The kids
liked the security and we didn't mind that they played with them
occassionally. That's the best time to learn that the battery is getting
weak. If your water comes from a well it's not an inconvenience to keep
water in used juice jugs and 2 liter bottles in the crawl space or under the
beds. Use an eyedropper-full of water per gallon of water to maintain
purity. Avoid plastic milk jugs. I have had several split on the seam and
drain into the crawl space. Imagine if that happened under your bed. Buy a
little more of your usually consumed canned foods than you need each week,
date them on top and rotate them - oldest to the front are the first used.
That way you at least have 'something' to eat if the roads become impassable
for a while. Read up on the proper way to install a generator and a Gen-Set
(I think that's one of the names) so that you don't accidentally electrocute
a lineman with backfeed amperage. OK, I'll shut up. Sorry 'bout all that -
got a bit carried away.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Firewood for heat. Also have a "Big Buddy" propane heater.
Generator to keep the fridge cold, a light or two, and tv or radio
Bottled water for drinking
Lake water for flushing toilet.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
BR BR is offline

Jonathan Grobe wrote:
We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Thanks.

Where I live, we have 4 hour outages nearly every year. Not long enough
to lose food in the freezer, but long enough to be annoying, so I
installed a 15 KVA diesel generator, complete with automatic transfer
switch, which runs off the same #2 fuel oil that the "conventional"
heating system runs on. The longest that I had to be on backup power
was 24 hours. In theory, I could run off the generator for a month
before needing more fuel delivered.

Before I had the generator, I would use the old "spring box" which was
the water supply for the place before the deep well was installed for a
water backup. You have to boil the spring box water before drinking,
but it's OK as it is for flushing toilets and the like.
--
Remove the TOS star ship captain to reply.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

In article ,
Jonathan Grobe wrote:

We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Another than having a flashlight, nothing. If I lost power for that
long, I would simply read by flashlight if I was stuck at home, or if I
could go out, I would just go to my parents' house, my office at work,
or visit with friends. Heating where I live is by oil, so I don't need
power to have my heat, and even if I did, I would just go sleep at my
parents' house in their guest room.

Of course, everyone's situation is different.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Shawn Hirn wrote in news:srhi-C85B3E.18333625022007
@newsgroups.comcast.net:

In article ,
Jonathan Grobe wrote:

We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Another than having a flashlight, nothing. If I lost power for that
long, I would simply read by flashlight if I was stuck at home, or if I
could go out, I would just go to my parents' house, my office at work,
or visit with friends. Heating where I live is by oil, so I don't need
power to have my heat, and even if I did, I would just go sleep at my
parents' house in their guest room.

How does the heat get out of the furnace, an oil powered fan?

--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Jonathan Grobe" wrote in message
We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

The first thing to do is to decide what you need to have (light, heat,
refrigerator, television, airconditioning...) and what you are prepared to
pay for it.

22 hours is a little baby outage; you can get by perfectly well without
doing anything special. (unless it is below zero, or something odd like
that)

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Feb 25, 4:20 pm, "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis"
wrote:
[...]

I did same. Generator and panel have been in place one year and used
3 times with longest outage 20 hours. It is my opinion that the power
infrastructure has been deteriorating over the years. We live in a
treed area and power company has been saving money on tree cutting.
Just about whole neighborhood has generators.

Frank

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message
In article , Logan Shaw

wrote:

When I lived in California (the Bay Area, specifically), we had a
power outage that lasted well over 48 hours because of a "storm".
In this "storm", the winds got up to a whopping 20 miles/hour, and
we received maybe 2 inches of rain in a 24-hour period.

I experienced the same thing -- probably not the same storm
though! In any case, living without power for 48 hours
is really quite miserable.

Oh, the first 48 hours is almost (and, in some respects, literally) a
picnic.

It's the second and the start of the THIRD 48 hours when it beings to get
"old."

That's what happened to us in the "Northern Neck" of VA when Isabel hit the
fan.

We get 4-6 hour outages every time there are high winds or significant snow.
Ice storms can put out "off the grid" for a day.

Unfortunately, our generator is just about impossible to start when it's
below 32F.

And yes, we need electricity for our water and heat. We have "back up" LPG
heaters. Next on the "wish list" is a kerosene heater that will also
provide some light.

AND we found out that hard way that LPG comes in a "winter mix" and a
"summer mix." The difference is that the "summer mix" only provides
enough gas pressure to make the regulator work when the tank is over 70F.

NB: LPG isn't necessarily pure propane. It's often a mixture of propane
and butane and "whatever."

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message

Heating where I live is by oil, so I don't need
power to have my heat,

What type of heater that does not need power?

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Toller" wrote in message

"Jonathan Grobe" wrote in message
We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

The first thing to do is to decide what you need to have (light, heat,
refrigerator, television, airconditioning...) and what you are prepared to
pay for it.

22 hours is a little baby outage; you can get by perfectly well without
doing anything special. (unless it is below zero, or something odd like
that)

I'm not entirely sure how I'd do an extended outage. The one I had in
Seattle this year was tiny compared to my co-workers many of whom were out
for 5+ days. There were lots of people sleeping at work, taking showers at
the workplace and sending the wife and kids to go see grandma. If I
remember right the entire town of Issaquah was out for 3 or 4 days and that
town has about 30,000 people.

I've got warm coats, a fireplace, gas heat. So while the furnace might not
work as advertised, I'd still have hot water, a source of warmth, and if I
needed to keep something cool I'd just put it outside (in the winter of
course).

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 18:33:36 -0500, Shawn Hirn
wrote:

In article ,
Jonathan Grobe wrote:

We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Another than having a flashlight, nothing. If I lost power for that
long, I would simply read by flashlight if I was stuck at home, or if I
could go out, I would just go to my parents' house, my office at work,
or visit with friends. Heating where I live is by oil, so I don't need
power to have my heat, and even if I did, I would just go sleep at my
parents' house in their guest room.

Of course, everyone's situation is different.

I'm willing to sleep at your parents' house. What are the odds you
and I will have power failures on the same day?

BTW, my parents too kept a flash light and a spare set of batteries.
Good for blown fuses and looking in corners that don't get any light,
or outside at night.

I keep plenty of canned (and frozen) food in the house because I like
to have a variety available at meal time.

For 20 years I kept powdered condensed milk for emergencies, but
there's never been a time I couldn't get to the store within 2 days,
which is often as I go anyhow. So I tried the milk and it was
terrible, and I don't think it was because it was 20 years old.
Canned condensed milke might be better. My mother used that for
custards or something.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

wrote:

We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

The last one we had that long here was when it was really cold (icy
out). I was glad to have a gas water heater.

BTW, a corded phone helped too (that was not out).

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Thanks.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Jonathan Grobe" wrote in message
We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

When there is a storm coming that makes me think we may lose power for a
while, I fill the bathtub with water (so that I have water to put in a
bucket and pour down the toilet -- no electricity means no well pump), I
have bottled water for drinking (again, the well pump), we have a regular
stock of foods that don't need to be cooked. We also have candles and
flashlights, a charged/battery backup weather radio, an alternate heat
source (a propane fired fireplace that requires no electricity), a 'normal'
wallphone that does not require electricity, a full tank of gas in the car.
And if the power goes out, noone is to open the fridge.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message

Heating where I live is by oil, so I don't need
power to have my heat,

What type of heater that does not need power?

My parents had a Siegler stove in the living room of their old
farmhouse. It burned kerosene. No fan. I think one just threw a bit
of wadded up newspaper in the bottom to light it.
I had a natural gas floor furnace in one house. No fan. The
thermostat ran off a thermocoupler type device, I think. It looked
like this: http://tinyurl.com/2zeweo

Dean