Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Logan Shaw Logan Shaw is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

Gil Faver wrote:
"Jonathan Grobe" wrote in message
We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

I prepared for this by living in California.

When I lived in California (the Bay Area, specifically), we had a
power outage that lasted well over 48 hours because of a "storm".
In this "storm", the winds got up to a whopping 20 miles/hour, and
we received maybe 2 inches of rain in a 24-hour period. It turns
out PG&E had just cut a bunch of jobs in order to save money a few
months earlier, and the jobs they cut were the people who were
responsible for maintaining the lines (making sure trees were
trimmed and so on) and repairing them. So a bunch of tree limbs
fell on the lines and cut out power, and it took forever to
repair them, so we were without power for days even though nothing
big had really happened.

Luckily we had a natural gas water heater which did not need
electricity to start, and it was January so it was not too cold
outside, and we did fine without heat. But it was still stupid.

- Logan