Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message
In article , Logan Shaw

wrote:

When I lived in California (the Bay Area, specifically), we had a
power outage that lasted well over 48 hours because of a "storm".
In this "storm", the winds got up to a whopping 20 miles/hour, and
we received maybe 2 inches of rain in a 24-hour period.

I experienced the same thing -- probably not the same storm
though! In any case, living without power for 48 hours
is really quite miserable.

Oh, the first 48 hours is almost (and, in some respects, literally) a
picnic.

It's the second and the start of the THIRD 48 hours when it beings to get
"old."

That's what happened to us in the "Northern Neck" of VA when Isabel hit the
fan.

We get 4-6 hour outages every time there are high winds or significant snow.
Ice storms can put out "off the grid" for a day.

Unfortunately, our generator is just about impossible to start when it's
below 32F.

And yes, we need electricity for our water and heat. We have "back up" LPG
heaters. Next on the "wish list" is a kerosene heater that will also
provide some light.

AND we found out that hard way that LPG comes in a "winter mix" and a
"summer mix." The difference is that the "summer mix" only provides
enough gas pressure to make the regulator work when the tank is over 70F.

NB: LPG isn't necessarily pure propane. It's often a mixture of propane
and butane and "whatever."