Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.rural,misc.survivalism

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 19:22:09 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've heard that Coleman fuel stoves pump out carbon monoxide, and
should not be used indoors. Propane is a concern, but less so.

Someone must not have told Coleman about that. My little single
burner coleman fuel stoves (one each, motorhome and truck) run just
fine indoors without tickling the CO detector. I do light them
outside to avoid the fumes and soot but once going, they burn as clean
as any other stove and certainly cleaner than the MH's built-in stove.

John
---
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
Don't let your schooling interfere with your education-Mark Twain
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.rural,misc.survivalism

How are you doing internet access? Jonathan Grobe Books

*** We have a landline telephone. We are probably 3 people from the
'end of the line'. We have dialup.. which is slower than regular
dialup. It can take 10 minutes to download an email. I am currently
lusting over wireless. We have point of sight from our mountain to the
next mountain and it is possible to get wireless.

tenzicut
http://www.downtotherootsmagazine.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.rural,misc.survivalism

I mean during the power outage. A laptop connected to the phone line?

*** Sorry, yes.. until the battery runs out.. and I laugh with glee as
I get a break from the computer !!!!!!!!

tenzicut
http://www.downtotherootsmagazine.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
ups.com:

I mean during the power outage. A laptop connected to the phone line?

*** Sorry, yes.. until the battery runs out.. and I laugh with glee as
I get a break from the computer !!!!!!!!

tenzicut
http://www.downtotherootsmagazine.com

If you are so remote,then why wouldn't it be prudent to have a generator
for -some- power,if not whole-house capability?

And can't you get broadband from a satellite in Canada,at least for
downloads?

BTW,a car battery and an inverter would power your laptop,or a TV &
DVDplayer,maybe a fluorescent light or two.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Neon John wrote:
If you need to light up the whole end of the state, look at this:

http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=872

This is one of the brightest handheld lights on the market. I love
mine. It uses the same miniature High Intensity Discharge arc lamp as
is used on high end cars such as Benz and Lexus.

Looks like a 3W LED headband light to me.

--
Martians drive SUVs! http://oregonmag.com/MarsWarm307.html
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Don Don is offline

"clifto" wrote
Neon John wrote:
If you need to light up the whole end of the state, look at this:

http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=872

This is one of the brightest handheld lights on the market. I love
mine. It uses the same miniature High Intensity Discharge arc lamp as
is used on high end cars such as Benz and Lexus.

Looks like a 3W LED headband light to me.

He may have meant this one, down on the bottom of the same page.
http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=1156

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Don wrote:
"clifto" wrote
Looks like a 3W LED headband light to me.

He may have meant this one, down on the bottom of the same page.
http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=1156

Thanks, don't know how I missed it.

--
Martians drive SUVs! http://oregonmag.com/MarsWarm307.html
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Just a coda on the power outage prep thread:

I stopped by the Goodwill Last Chance store yesterday, and bought a
whole shopping bag full of candles for $1. If you are not familiar with
Goodwill, they have outlet stores where they keep things for 24 hours
before they are trashed or recycled. It's stuff that didn't sell in the
regular store, so it's pretty much "make an offer."

Anyway, I bought about 35 lbs of candles for $1. About half the weight
was pillar candles, and about half was tapers. Thanks to this little
foray, I now have about 80 or 90 tapers on hand. I guess now I need to
keep my eyes open for a candelabra.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Larry Caldwell wrote:
Anyway, I bought about 35 lbs of candles for $1. About half the weight
was pillar candles, and about half was tapers. Thanks to this little
foray, I now have about 80 or 90 tapers on hand. I guess now I need to
keep my eyes open for a candelabra.

I've got a couple of packs of "emergency" candles in my kit somewhere
but to be honest, they'll be the last things I light up in an emergency.
Good flashlights are not very expensive, won't set the drapes on fire
and they don't set off smoke alarms or leave soot on the ceiling.

Anthony
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

In article , anthonym40
@nothing.like.socal.rr.com (Anthony Matonak) says...

I've got a couple of packs of "emergency" candles in my kit somewhere
but to be honest, they'll be the last things I light up in an emergency.
Good flashlights are not very expensive, won't set the drapes on fire
and they don't set off smoke alarms or leave soot on the ceiling.

Everybody to their own, I guess. I find flashlights to be garish and
unpleasant, good for getting down a muddy path at night, but hardly the
sort of thing I want to use in my house. I haven't set the drapes on
fire or put soot on anything yet, and I have never seen a candle set off
a smoke detector.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

You know what's interesting light source. Propane fueled Coleman
lantern. I loaned one to a friend, when his power was off a
couple weeks ago. Puts out both heat and light. Both useful when
it's near zero F outdoors, and blowing cold. However, flash
lights are better for hurricanes in Florida when it's already
hot.

I'm envious. I'd love to have a big pile of candles.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Anthony Matonak" wrote in
message ...
: ...
:
: I've got a couple of packs of "emergency" candles in my kit
somewhere
: but to be honest, they'll be the last things I light up in an
emergency.
: Good flashlights are not very expensive, won't set the drapes
on fire
: and they don't set off smoke alarms or leave soot on the
ceiling.
:
: Anthony

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
You know what's interesting light source. Propane fueled Coleman
lantern. I loaned one to a friend, when his power was off a
couple weeks ago. Puts out both heat and light. Both useful when
it's near zero F outdoors, and blowing cold. However, flash
lights are better for hurricanes in Florida when it's already
hot.

I'm envious. I'd love to have a big pile of candles.

--

Personally I stock up on those glow sticks that kids use at Haloween - best
portable source of light I know of. You can take them in the shower with

"Anthony Matonak" wrote in
message ...
: Larry Caldwell wrote:
: ...
: Anyway, I bought about 35 lbs of candles for $1. About half
the weight
: was pillar candles, and about half was tapers. Thanks to
this little
: foray, I now have about 80 or 90 tapers on hand. I guess now
I need to
: keep my eyes open for a candelabra.
:
: I've got a couple of packs of "emergency" candles in my kit
somewhere
: but to be honest, they'll be the last things I light up in an
emergency.
: Good flashlights are not very expensive, won't set the drapes
on fire
: and they don't set off smoke alarms or leave soot on the
ceiling.
:
: Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
You know what's interesting light source. Propane fueled Coleman
lantern. I loaned one to a friend, when his power was off a
couple weeks ago. Puts out both heat and light. Both useful when
it's near zero F outdoors, and blowing cold. However, flash
lights are better for hurricanes in Florida when it's already
hot.

I'm envious. I'd love to have a big pile of candles.

--

Personally I stock up on those glow sticks that kids use at Haloween -
best portable source of light I know of. You can take them in the
shower with you, leave them on the floor to guide you, and hold them
to walk with. They last forever too - much longer than a flashlight

Not the newer LED flashlights,or the battery-powered fluorescent lights.
My FL. camp light runs 20 hrs on two tubes,40 on one,using 4 D cells.
Then I have a single tube battery FL light[8 AA cells] with an adapter
cable to clip onto any 12V source.They kept me well lighted after Hurricane
Charlie and 7 days without line power.You can even buy LED camping lanterns
now.
And they all are WHITE light,not green.

Those glow sticks get a lot dimmer after a couple of hrs.
IMO,their only plus is that they store without degrading.

But alkaline cells are now good stored for 3 yrs or more.
(except Duracells;they leak.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Stormin Mormon wrote:
You know what's interesting light source. Propane fueled Coleman
lantern. I loaned one to a friend, when his power was off a
couple weeks ago. Puts out both heat and light. Both useful when
it's near zero F outdoors, and blowing cold. However, flash
lights are better for hurricanes in Florida when it's already
hot.

I'm envious. I'd love to have a big pile of candles.

another occasion when flash lights are better is during/after
earthquakes. You don't want the canlde falling over when the next
aftershock hits.

Maren
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
"Eigenvector" wrote:
Personally I stock up on those glow sticks that kids use at Haloween -
best portable source of light I know of. You can take them in the
shower with you, leave them on the floor to guide you, and hold them
to walk with. They last forever too - much longer than a flashlight

Not the newer LED flashlights,or the battery-powered fluorescent lights.
My FL. camp light runs 20 hrs on two tubes,40 on one,using 4 D cells.
Then I have a single tube battery FL light[8 AA cells] with an adapter
cable to clip onto any 12V source.They kept me well lighted after Hurricane
Charlie and 7 days without line power.You can even buy LED camping lanterns
now.

I have one of the lanterns. 12 LEDs, 4 D batteries. Variable brightness.
We use it on low brightness as a night light; it's been on every night
for no less than 6 hours, typically 8, since about last July with no
visible change in brightness, on the first set of batteries.

--
Martians drive SUVs! http://oregonmag.com/MarsWarm307.html
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Larry Caldwell" wrote in message
.. .
| Just a coda on the power outage prep thread:
|
| I stopped by the Goodwill Last Chance store yesterday, and bought a
| whole shopping bag full of candles for $1. If you are not familiar with
| Goodwill, they have outlet stores where they keep things for 24 hours
| before they are trashed or recycled. It's stuff that didn't sell in the
| regular store, so it's pretty much "make an offer."
|
| Anyway, I bought about 35 lbs of candles for $1. About half the weight
| was pillar candles, and about half was tapers. Thanks to this little
| foray, I now have about 80 or 90 tapers on hand. I guess now I need to
| keep my eyes open for a candelabra.

Or a grand piano and some gold lame

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural

| In a local town this year the power went out, old woman lit a candle then
fell
| and dropped the candle, house caught on fire and she could not find the
phone in
| the dark. Her house burned down. Very sad but true story.

The house was buring with a dark flame?