Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Harry Harry is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:59:05 -0800, wrote:

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:59:09 -1000, in misc.consumers.frugal-living Maren Purves
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
You know what's interesting light source. Propane fueled Coleman
lantern. I loaned one to a friend, when his power was off a
couple weeks ago. Puts out both heat and light. Both useful when
it's near zero F outdoors, and blowing cold. However, flash
lights are better for hurricanes in Florida when it's already
hot.

I'm envious. I'd love to have a big pile of candles.

another occasion when flash lights are better is during/after
earthquakes. You don't want the canlde falling over when the next
aftershock hits.

Maren

In a local town this year the power went out, old woman lit a candle then fell
and dropped the candle, house caught on fire and she could not find the phone in
the dark. Her house burned down. Very sad but true story.

Fires are normally considerate :-) They try to give you enough light,
that you can see to fine the phone and dial.