Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
You know what's interesting light source. Propane fueled Coleman
lantern. I loaned one to a friend, when his power was off a
couple weeks ago. Puts out both heat and light. Both useful when
it's near zero F outdoors, and blowing cold. However, flash
lights are better for hurricanes in Florida when it's already
hot.

I'm envious. I'd love to have a big pile of candles.

--

Personally I stock up on those glow sticks that kids use at Haloween -
best portable source of light I know of. You can take them in the

Not the newer LED flashlights,or the battery-powered fluorescent lights.
My FL. camp light runs 20 hrs on two tubes,40 on one,using 4 D cells.
Then I have a single tube battery FL light[8 AA cells] with an adapter
cable to clip onto any 12V source.They kept me well lighted after Hurricane
Charlie and 7 days without line power.You can even buy LED camping lanterns
now.
And they all are WHITE light,not green.

Those glow sticks get a lot dimmer after a couple of hrs.
IMO,their only plus is that they store without degrading.

But alkaline cells are now good stored for 3 yrs or more.
(except Duracells;they leak.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik