Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Preparing walls for painting

Hi,

I am trying to prepare my hallways walls for painting. After removing
the old wallpaper, I have found that
underneath the walls are a patchwork of bare plaster and a layer of
paint. There is a slight ridge where the paint and plaster meet, and I
am worried that this will show through after painting.

Two options I am considering are.. Paint the plaster patchs to bring up
the level, and then sand the areas until smooth. Or use this Polycell
"BaseCoat", Does anyone have any experience of this product, would it
suit this purpose ?

Any other ideas will be gratefully considered ;-)

Paul..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wordy wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to prepare my hallways walls for painting. After removing
the old wallpaper, I have found that
underneath the walls are a patchwork of bare plaster and a layer of
paint. There is a slight ridge where the paint and plaster meet, and I
am worried that this will show through after painting.

Two options I am considering are.. Paint the plaster patchs to bring up
the level, and then sand the areas until smooth. Or use this Polycell
"BaseCoat", Does anyone have any experience of this product, would it
suit this purpose ?

Any other ideas will be gratefully considered ;-)

Paul..

If the paint is sound, I'd just feather in the edges with polyfilla and
a plasterers trowel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Wordy wrote:

If the paint is sound, I'd just feather in the edges with polyfilla and
a plasterers trowel

and if the paint isn't sound then I would use lining paper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi,

I have done the exact same job as you, and I used the polycell
basecoat, it did the job well, i wouldnt say the walls were perfect,
you coudl still see soem changes in levels, but only in dorect light,
it was definately the easiest solution, I used 2 or 3 coats, which
seemed to make the edges alot softer and less noticable.

Tom