Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Radiators: Interior Walls or Exterior Walls?

I'm planning to get a new central heating system.

I propose to get a proper measurement of my rooms and check the build
of the walls to determine exactly what size radiators are required for
each room.

My other thought is to where I will position the radiators.

So I have a question, and I am guessing there are pros and cons with
both, but I would like to get a general consensus.

Is it better to position radiators on the exterior wall or an interior
wall. And if interior, should it be the wall facing opposite to the
exterior wall?

I'm thinking an interior wall will not lose heat as much as if it was
placed on an exterior wall, but would it be best to heat the exterior
wall?

Which method is most likely going to keep the rooms warmer?
Which method is most likely going to cost more money to run?

My rooms each have an exterior wall 3m in length with 3m Double Glazed
windows.
The walls are concrete sheets with cladding on the exterior.
The rooms are (approx):
6m2
10m2
12m2

Your thoughts are welcome and appreciated!

Ricky

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anybody?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
Anybody?

I'm far from an expert but I put all mine on internal walls.
They sort of warm the 'core' of the house.

I imagine that putting them on outside walls then covering them with
curtains is a waste of time.

Plus who wants to warm next door?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT NT is offline

R D S wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Anybody?

I'm far from an expert but I put all mine on internal walls.
They sort of warm the 'core' of the house.

I imagine that putting them on outside walls then covering them with
curtains is a waste of time.

Plus who wants to warm next door?

I've always placed them on the exterior walls, under the windows.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 12:05:42 -0700, rentaturkishvilla wrote:

Is it better to position radiators on the exterior wall or an interior
wall. And if interior, should it be the wall facing opposite to the
exterior wall?

I'm thinking an interior wall will not lose heat as much as if it was
placed on an exterior wall, but would it be best to heat the exterior
wall?

Which method is most likely going to keep the rooms warmer?

what do you mean by warmer - warm near the rad or warm everywhere in the
room?

rads on external walls will minimise the temperature gradient across
the room so it'll be more comfortable

Which method is most likely going to cost more money to run?

the cheapest to run is no central heating :-)

next cheapest is rads on internal walls and huddle round them when it's
cold

rads on ext walls will cost more to run but is the only way to heat the
_whole_ room comfortably. If you've got high heat losses causing high
running expenses then the way to reduce that is to improve
draughtproofing and insulation.

(Underfloor heating also costs less to run for a given comfort level, but
is usually more expensive and disruptive to fit to an existing house.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:36:42 +0100, "R D S" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
| Anybody?
|

|I'm far from an expert but I put all mine on internal walls.
|They sort of warm the 'core' of the house.
|
|I imagine that putting them on outside walls then covering them with
|curtains is a waste of time.

Mine are conventionally on outside walls under windows, but with Aluminium
paint on the back, to reduce radiation from radiator to wall.