Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

"Toller" wrote in message

"Jonathan Grobe" wrote in message
We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

The first thing to do is to decide what you need to have (light, heat,
refrigerator, television, airconditioning...) and what you are prepared to
pay for it.

22 hours is a little baby outage; you can get by perfectly well without
doing anything special. (unless it is below zero, or something odd like
that)

I'm not entirely sure how I'd do an extended outage. The one I had in
Seattle this year was tiny compared to my co-workers many of whom were out
for 5+ days. There were lots of people sleeping at work, taking showers at
the workplace and sending the wife and kids to go see grandma. If I
remember right the entire town of Issaquah was out for 3 or 4 days and that
town has about 30,000 people.

I've got warm coats, a fireplace, gas heat. So while the furnace might not
work as advertised, I'd still have hot water, a source of warmth, and if I
needed to keep something cool I'd just put it outside (in the winter of
course).