Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Tracey Tracey is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

"Jonathan Grobe" wrote in message
We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

When there is a storm coming that makes me think we may lose power for a
while, I fill the bathtub with water (so that I have water to put in a
bucket and pour down the toilet -- no electricity means no well pump), I
have bottled water for drinking (again, the well pump), we have a regular
stock of foods that don't need to be cooked. We also have candles and
flashlights, a charged/battery backup weather radio, an alternate heat
source (a propane fired fireplace that requires no electricity), a 'normal'
wallphone that does not require electricity, a full tank of gas in the car.
And if the power goes out, noone is to open the fridge.