Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
mm mm is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 20:44:10 +0000 (UTC), Jonathan Grobe
wrote:

We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Making more friends.

Despite the stories, my food keeps cold for at least 3 days without
electricity. Thawing freezer food may hurt the taste when it
refreezes, but it won't hurt you. But certain freezer food I make a
point to eat when I have no electricity (ice cream) and shortly
thereafter.

Sour milk is hard to drink, but poses no risk. My mother would make
sour milk pancakes when she somehow had some. (This doesn't work, I
think, when the curds and whey have separated.) I just add a lot
chocolate syrup, and I can drink a quart in the time it takes from a
bit sour to too sour to drink at all.

Thanks.