Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Neon John Neon John is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 20:44:10 +0000 (UTC), Jonathan Grobe
wrote:

We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Thanks.

Generator and 2 week's worth of fuel in drums. Probably another week's
worth in the diesel truck. Plenty of firewood for the fireplace
stove. I always have enough food on hand to eat for a month so that's
not an issue. The generator runs the well pump so no issue with
water.

If all else fails there is my motorhome sitting in the driveway,
always fueled and watered and ready to go. I can "dry camp" for a
couple of weeks with the on-board stores if I'm careful.

I rather enjoy power outages of up to perhaps a week. Then feedin'
the generator gets a bit tedious. I don't believe in curtailing my
lifestyle during an outage so I have a 10kw homemade diesel generator
and an 8kw commercially made gas unit as backup. Never had to use the
backup except during tests.

John
---
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
Don't let your schooling interfere with your education-Mark Twain