Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
mm mm is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 20:44:10 +0000 (UTC), Jonathan Grobe
wrote:

We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Thanks.

BTW, it's times like this that you'll look back on and remember.
Everyday life is normally so uneventful that it is remembered as one
big blur. I don't think I'm the only one to feel this way.

Last night I heard a story by a man I know who was guarding the food
supply of his town in Siberia in 1944 with minus 40 degree F. weather.
He was feeling bad at night, fever, so he got on his small sleigh and
told the horse to go back to town, a mile or two. But he passed out
and fell off the sleigh. Woke up and had no idea where he was. All
there was was snow and stars. After a while, he saw the horse in the
distance. The horse stopped when it noticed that my friend wasn't on
the sleigh. So he caught up to the horse and iirc tied himself to the
sleigh this time, or at least held on. He passed out again, and later
found out that he made it to town, and then they took him to the next
town a couple miles further, where there was a hospital.

It's been 63 years and of course he still remembers this story. It's
makes the piddling winters we have in Baltimore (even with 2 or 3
weeks of 20-30 degree weather, and our 3rd snow storm all day today)
seem even more piddling. I'm sure they don't bother him, at age 80 or
so.