Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Frank Frank is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

On Feb 25, 4:20 pm, "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis"
wrote:
"Jonathan Grobe" wrote in message

... We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Thanks.

--
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at:

My house has a well and sump pump which are critical. First thing I did
when I bought the house 18 months ago was to buy a 6 kW gasoline powered
generator, and had an electrician install a 10 breaker panel in my basement
and an external outlet to connect the generator to the panel. I selected
the 10 most critical circuits to run on the generator, including the well
pump, the sump pump, the fridge, and my oil furnace. I also keep 10 gallons
of gas in the garage. Haven't had an outage yet, but I can sleep at night.

I did same. Generator and panel have been in place one year and used
3 times with longest outage 20 hours. It is my opinion that the power
infrastructure has been deteriorating over the years. We live in a
treed area and power company has been saving money on tree cutting.
Just about whole neighborhood has generators.

Frank