Electronics Repair (sci.electronics.repair) Discussion of repairing electronic equipment. Topics include requests for assistance, where to obtain servicing information and parts, techniques for diagnosis and repair, and annecdotes about success, failures and problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21   Report Post  
Old December 31st 11, 08:18 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 769
Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

recursor wrote:
On 12/31/2011 06:41 PM, John Robertson wrote:
Peter Larsen wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:

Of course it has, the stickers make it much more accurate...Sheesh,
don't you know anything?

** I imagined it might be Julian Hirsch's aura and sweaty finger
prints that made the difference.

There quite possibly is some extra market value because of it. However

Bit like a Strat that had once belonged to Jimi Hendrix.

For audiophile grade measurements use them with this:

http://www.russandrews.com/product.a...NULQPHBZIBBHUY



mains cable. Many banks ask you to pay for having money stored in
their system and this mains cable will remedy that problem and thus
really be a saving.

O;-)

.... Phil

Kind regards

Peter Larsen




How do they deal with the mains conductors back to the community
step-down transformer?

I suspect there is money to be mined in fixing the power input to the
high-end fools that buy these power cords.

"What if I canít remove my mains lead? Cut off the mains cable about 3
inches (7.5cm) from where it enters your equipment and wire on a male
IEC plug as shown. " ROTFLMAO!

For further amusement read the Burn-In extra (only £15) feature because
otherwise you may have to wait over 500 hours to hear any difference
with your new power cord or silver RCA cords!

Fuses 13A made to BS-1362 standards (required by law in the UK for mains
fuses)...reading the notes about these £15.75 (pack of five) fuses that
everyone else sells for £1.25 (pack of four).

---------------------(quote)------------------------
You may notice that we cover the screw on some of our mains cables with
a 'Warranty - Void if Removed' sticker. This is to discourage people
from tampering with the cable in the plug. It's very difficult to work
with and we had a number of instances where people had tried to
de-solder their cables from the plug, ended up with a terrible mess and
sent it back to us to sort out. If you need to reterminate your cables,
we only charge a nominal retermination fee and you keep your warranty.

We appreciate, however that you need to destroy this label when you
replace the fuse with our new Russ Andrews fuses. You will not void your
warranty if you simply replace the fuse. Russ Andrews fuses are supplied
with 'Fitted with Russ Andrews Fuse' stickers to fit over the existing
warranty label. If you replace the fuse and then stick the new label
over the old warranty label, we'll know that you've simply replaced the
fuse if you return the cable for upgrade or repair in the future. It's
also a useful way for you to know which cables you've upgraded with a
better fuse!
------------------------(end quote)---------------

(shaking head sadly)

I'm obviously in the wrong end of things - I offer tech tips to save
people money and to try and teach them how to maintain their toys.


That's why you live in a hovel and Russ Andrews lives in a mansion.


I can't believe the stuff he puts on his site...

"Upgrade your NAD or Marantz amplifier links

If your integrated amp has separate pre- and power sections connected by
brass or gold plated links between the RCA sockets (eg. NAD and Marantz
amplifiers), improve its performance by upgrading the links.

Our Amp Jumpers made with KIMBER Timbre interconnect are perfect!"

So Marantz doesn't know that silver is a better conductor than gold
jumpers? What is wrong with their engineers? They obviously need to
talkto Russ about improving their amps, get rid of those lousy gold
plated jacks and replace them with silver...now and then you can pull
out the silver polish to deal with the minor nuisance of oxidization
(which, oddly enough, doesn't happen with gold connectors). I couldn't
find the special silver polish though on the site. Must be there
somewhere @ £astronomical. After all non-audiofool silver polish
wouldn't be good enough for these plugs!

Well, time to get to the real world...now where did I put it?

John :-#)#

--
(Please post followups or tech enquiries to the newsgroup)
John's Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
Call (604)872-5757 or Fax 872-2010 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
"Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."

  #22   Report Post  
Old December 31st 11, 08:24 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2011
Posts: 7
Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

On 12/31/2011 08:18 PM, John Robertson wrote:
recursor wrote:
On 12/31/2011 06:41 PM, John Robertson wrote:
Peter Larsen wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:

Of course it has, the stickers make it much more accurate...Sheesh,
don't you know anything?

** I imagined it might be Julian Hirsch's aura and sweaty finger
prints that made the difference.

There quite possibly is some extra market value because of it. However

Bit like a Strat that had once belonged to Jimi Hendrix.

For audiophile grade measurements use them with this:

http://www.russandrews.com/product.a...NULQPHBZIBBHUY



mains cable. Many banks ask you to pay for having money stored in
their system and this mains cable will remedy that problem and thus
really be a saving.

O;-)

.... Phil

Kind regards

Peter Larsen




How do they deal with the mains conductors back to the community
step-down transformer?

I suspect there is money to be mined in fixing the power input to the
high-end fools that buy these power cords.

"What if I canít remove my mains lead? Cut off the mains cable about 3
inches (7.5cm) from where it enters your equipment and wire on a male
IEC plug as shown. " ROTFLMAO!

For further amusement read the Burn-In extra (only £15) feature because
otherwise you may have to wait over 500 hours to hear any difference
with your new power cord or silver RCA cords!

Fuses 13A made to BS-1362 standards (required by law in the UK for mains
fuses)...reading the notes about these £15.75 (pack of five) fuses that
everyone else sells for £1.25 (pack of four).

---------------------(quote)------------------------
You may notice that we cover the screw on some of our mains cables with
a 'Warranty - Void if Removed' sticker. This is to discourage people
from tampering with the cable in the plug. It's very difficult to work
with and we had a number of instances where people had tried to
de-solder their cables from the plug, ended up with a terrible mess and
sent it back to us to sort out. If you need to reterminate your cables,
we only charge a nominal retermination fee and you keep your warranty.

We appreciate, however that you need to destroy this label when you
replace the fuse with our new Russ Andrews fuses. You will not void your
warranty if you simply replace the fuse. Russ Andrews fuses are supplied
with 'Fitted with Russ Andrews Fuse' stickers to fit over the existing
warranty label. If you replace the fuse and then stick the new label
over the old warranty label, we'll know that you've simply replaced the
fuse if you return the cable for upgrade or repair in the future. It's
also a useful way for you to know which cables you've upgraded with a
better fuse!
------------------------(end quote)---------------

(shaking head sadly)

I'm obviously in the wrong end of things - I offer tech tips to save
people money and to try and teach them how to maintain their toys.


That's why you live in a hovel and Russ Andrews lives in a mansion.


I can't believe the stuff he puts on his site...

"Upgrade your NAD or Marantz amplifier links

If your integrated amp has separate pre- and power sections connected by
brass or gold plated links between the RCA sockets (eg. NAD and Marantz
amplifiers), improve its performance by upgrading the links.

Our Amp Jumpers made with KIMBER Timbre interconnect are perfect!"

So Marantz doesn't know that silver is a better conductor than gold
jumpers? What is wrong with their engineers? They obviously need to
talkto Russ about improving their amps, get rid of those lousy gold
plated jacks and replace them with silver...now and then you can pull
out the silver polish to deal with the minor nuisance of oxidization
(which, oddly enough, doesn't happen with gold connectors). I couldn't
find the special silver polish though on the site. Must be there
somewhere @ £astronomical. After all non-audiofool silver polish
wouldn't be good enough for these plugs!

Well, time to get to the real world...now where did I put it?

It probably slipped down the back of the sofa. Still if nothing else
Russ has disproved the idea that all the rich are somehow *clever* and
*deserve* their wealth.
  #23   Report Post  
Old January 1st 12, 04:45 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,930
Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems


William Sommerwerck wrote:

I bought an HDMI cable in Tottenham Court Road a couple of
months ago. The bloke wanted 19.95, and I said I wouldn't pay
that much. He asked what I would give, and I held out a fiver.
He was perfectly happy with the trade. I should have offered a quid.


My Pioneer Elite Kuro sits some distance from the player. I needed a 20'
HDMI cable. I bought MCM's house-brand cable for about $15. It works
perfectly, as far as I can tell.



I bought a 10' HDMI cable for $3.49 US on Ebay, delivered to move the
Sat receiver in my dad & step mom's bedroom. He was afraid that he or
my step mom would knock it, or the TV off of the chest of drawers. He
was skeptical because the local stores wanted $45 but when I stopped by
to install it, it worked perfectly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270822459001


--
You can't have a sense of humor, if you have no sense.
  #24   Report Post  
Old January 1st 12, 04:45 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,930
Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems


Alan wrote:

In message , recursor
wrote

http://www.russandrews.com/product.a...currency=GBP&p
f_id=2137&customer_id=PAA3122123611657HNNULQPHBZI BBHUY


Check out the Deep Cryo Treatment link on that page



Another 'Snow Job'?


--
You can't have a sense of humor, if you have no sense.
  #25   Report Post  
Old January 1st 12, 10:30 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2008
Posts: 97
Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
...
I bought an HDMI cable in Tottenham Court Road a couple of
months ago. The bloke wanted 19.95, and I said I wouldn't pay
that much. He asked what I would give, and I held out a fiver.
He was perfectly happy with the trade. I should have offered a quid.


My Pioneer Elite Kuro sits some distance from the player. I needed a 20'
HDMI cable. I bought MCM's house-brand cable for about $15. It works
perfectly, as far as I can tell.



I needed to run an HDMI connection from one room to another, so I bought a
couple of passive HDMI wallplates that simply break-out the HDMI pins to a
couple of IDC blocks which are then interconnected with two runs of Cat5
cable. With a run a about 15m between the wallplates this works flawlessly
with 1080p video.

David.




  #26   Report Post  
Old January 2nd 12, 05:53 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2011
Posts: 80
Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems


"Phil Allison" wrote in message
...

"Arny Krueger"

I'm part of group that is readying two Audio Precision System One Dual
Domain measurement systems for market.

The units have exceptional provenance. They were owned by Stereo Review
Magazine and were the personal tools of Julian Hirsch. They still have
Hachette Publications property stickers on them.



** Has this unit got more value because of its provenance ?

Anyhow - here's a pic of one:

http://www.nessales.com/ebay/13318/A... Pic%20(0).JPG


That looks very much like one of the two units I have been working with. It
is the later model with optical digital I/O. The earlier version is
coax-based and used RCA jacks.


  #27   Report Post  
Old January 3rd 12, 12:50 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2012
Posts: 16
Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

The British electrical standards are the dumbest on planet, or at
least the dumbest I have ever run into. Except for the Japanese, who
are combine the worst possible voltage standard with two different
frequencies.

In the US, we have two voltages in (all but really really old)
houses: 120 and 240, although most outlets are 120, the ranges,
clothes dryers and air conditioners are 240. And that 240 is balanced.
If we were SERIOUS audiophiles, we'd have 240 volt four pin dryer
outlets put in our listening rooms and run our power amps on 240.
  #28   Report Post  
Old January 3rd 12, 12:53 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 222
Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

In article ,
wrote:

If we were SERIOUS audiophiles, we'd have 240 volt four pin dryer
outlets put in our listening rooms and run our power amps on 240.


If you were a serious audiophile, you would not allow mains
electricity within a mile of your listening room. You would run your
amplifier on lead-acid batteries and your turntable would be a uranium
flywheel.

-- Richard
  #29   Report Post  
Old January 3rd 12, 01:12 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,718
Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems




In the US, we have two voltages in (all but really really old)
houses: 120 and 240, although most outlets are 120, the ranges,
clothes dryers and air conditioners are 240. And that 240 is balanced.
If we were SERIOUS audiophiles, we'd have 240 volt four pin dryer
outlets put in our listening rooms and run our power amps on 240.



** Only if we were serious AUDIOPHOOLs - that is.

Home hi-fi installations can suffer from earth loop hum and transformer
radiated hum fields - neither of which is fixed by using "balanced power".



.... Phil



  #30   Report Post  
Old January 3rd 12, 07:28 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

On 03/01/2012 00:50, wrote:
The British electrical standards are the dumbest on planet, or at
least the dumbest I have ever run into.


From what I've seen, they are the best and safest standards of any country.
Just ask any toddler who has tried to poke a screwdriver into an outlet.

What's your problem with it? And how many of your American plugs are
hanging out of the socket with exposed pins and intermittent connections?

--
Eiron.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dual-gang audio rotary pot with switch? Adrian Brentnall UK diy 46 March 15th 11 09:37 AM
Need LA6517M dual audio amp IC Neil Preston Electronics Repair 2 February 24th 08 05:37 PM
Yamaha dual audio CD recorder and player N Cook Electronics Repair 9 December 3rd 07 03:49 AM
Looking for Linear Systems LS843 Dual J Ftes Gary Electronics 0 October 11th 05 04:22 PM
WANTED Linear Systems LS840/843 Dual Fets Gary Electronics 0 September 29th 05 09:26 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2019 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017