Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

In article ,
LID says...

Arny Krueger doesn't give a date for his experiences of UK
electrical installations, it *is* quite possible that he
experienced all he suggests, it has only been since the
late/early '80s that pins have been shrouded, like-wise plugs
having finger stops whilst un-switched sockets are actually very
common than Mr Plowman suggests, especially in 'to a price' built
housing, such as local authority, starter and MOD stock or were
the idea is to discourage disconnection of the appliances, such
as fridges, freezers or VCRs etc.

My personal preference is for unswitched sockets but I'm obviously in a
minority as, when I wanted some 13A twin outlets last year, ass of the
unswitched one were (considerably) more expensive than the switched
variety. This seems to suggest that 'built to a price' installations
include switches ...

So far from being "impossible", even more so considering the
number of older and thus 'unprotected' plugs that must still be
in existence and use.

I wonder how many are still in use, though? I do have quite a stock of
plugs with unsleeved pins that have been recovered from old equipment (I
also have a 'new' (well, they were when I got them many moons ago) stock
of the sleeved variety.

As all new stuff comes with sleeved plugs pre-fitted, how often does the
average user fit a 13A plug these days?

Without checking every appliance to be sure, I can't think of a single
item in this house that might have an unsleeved plug ...

--

Terry