igor

Default How to get a 198 lb bandsaw off the truck?

My Grizzly 14" bandsaw is on its way. Unfortunately, the "local" truck
depot is about 75 minutes away (at best), so I'd like to have Grizzly's
trucking company deliver to my home shop, since I paid for the mileage. I
did ask Grizzly and they said that the saw in the box can safely be placed
on its side, and 198 pounds is not much to lower from the truck. (I do
have a hand truck to take it from the side of the truck to the shop.)
Unfortunately, I cannot be sure I can get mid-day help to do this. I'm
thinking some $$ inducement might inspire the driver -- it would be less
than 60 seconds of help to slide it down the back of the truck to the
ground. It's not as if I'm getting an 8" jointer. (Not yet.)

Any other ideas for doing this? Anyone know if the truck typically used
for this has a slot in which I might hook a ramp -- like U-haul trucks
have? Any homemade ramp designs? I figure that for anything 250 pounds a
ramp would be an OK solution - even a steep ramp just for sliding the box.
-- Igor
J. Clarke

igor wrote:

[...]

The truck that delivers it will probably have a lift. Make sure that
Grizzly is aware that it's a residential delivery without a dock. If they
won't send a truck with a lift, you might want to drive around until you
see a dock nearby and then see if you can sweet talk the manager into
letting you take a delivery there. There are insurance issues and so on
that he has to deal with so it's a big deal for him and he'd be doing you a
big favor, so be nice.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Dave W

Hi Igor,
I have done this with a Delta 14 inch bandsaw. Slide it out with you
and the driver helping. Once on the ground, a handcart with a piece of wood
across the bottom should do it. Make sure to tie the goods to the handcart!
Good luck.
Dave

"igor" wrote in message
[...]

Kenneth

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 00:36:35 GMT, igor
wrote:

[...]

First, the bad news:

As I understand this situation, the trucker is obligated
only to get the goods to the rear lip of the truck.

Now, the good news:

I receive a fair amount of trucked goods, some much heavier
than yours.

Never have I had any trucker hesitate to provide assistance,
and when they have assisted, it has often been far beyond
anything I might have expected.

All that said, you have the be prepared to lower the thing
on your own just in case...

In the grand scheme of things, your package is rather light.
With a friend, you could easily lower it to the ground with
no equipment whatever.

Were I in your shoes, I would invite a friend over, or, if
that were not possible, I'd have a pair of 2 x 10s handy for
a makeshift ramp.

Whatever you do, have fun with it!

All the best,

--
Kenneth

skeezics

[...]

i unloaded my 18" delta steel frame B/S myself. its not a big deal.
lay it back into the truck. use your legs to slide it out the back
untill its almost balanced. then get on the ground and tilt it down
till it touches the ground or your 4 wheel cart. [thats what i used ]
once it is stood up you can wheel it in on the cart or if you dont
have one borrow a hand truck. im 47 years old and only wheigh 175 lb.
if the truck is higher than half the hieght of the crate put down some
forn of platform to get at least that high. leverage is key here.
otherwise you can hurt yourself. my 115 lb wife and i unloaded a 400
pound dual drum sander the same way and she has a bad back. i didnt
use the cart for this one. after we got it down i tilted it and she
put a pipe under the front then i pushed it a little and tilted it
back again and sliped another pipe under it a third pipe makes it much
better as you roll it you put 1 pipe in front of the other as needed.
enjoy the new saw.

skeez

Igor,

I just got mine a couple of days ago and had the same situation. The
trucking company said the driver would help, but I'd call to confirm in
your case. My brother showed up for the holidays and he and I lifted
it from the floor of a semi to the ground on a hand truck (dolly). The
trucking company can reschedule a delivery to you for when you have
help on hand (they did for me) if that helps.

Joe

igor wrote:
[...]

Ollie

I share the same experience as Kenneth. I have received a 600 lb table saw,
600 lb planer, 450 lb, jointer. and several lighter items even without being
at home when the deliveries were done. In some cases, I got the service
even without paying the additional lift gate fee ($75 - $125). At the end,
I have been happy with the services received from the shipping companies.
On other hand, it has been unnecessary difficult to arrange the delivery
with Grizzly. The other companies (Wilkes) have been more flexible in the
shipping arrangements.

Although the bandsaw is reasonable light (200 lb), you should be careful
not to damage it during the transportation. Most bandsaws are preassembled
and should be delivered in standing position - not laying flat on the floor.

Cheers, Ollie

"Kenneth" wrote in message
[...]

Guess who

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 00:36:35 GMT, igor wrote:

My Grizzly 14" bandsaw is on its way. Unfortunately, the "local" truck
depot is about 75 minutes away (at best), so I'd like to have Grizzly's
trucking company deliver to my home shop, since I paid for the mileage. I
did ask Grizzly and they said that the saw in the box can safely be placed
on its side, and 198 pounds is not much to lower from the truck. (I do
have a hand truck to take it from the side of the truck to the shop.)
Unfortunately, I cannot be sure I can get mid-day help to do this. I'm
thinking some $$ inducement might inspire the driver -- it would be less
than 60 seconds of help to slide it down the back of the truck to the
ground. It's not as if I'm getting an 8" jointer. (Not yet.)

Any other ideas for doing this?

I'd recommend one of those one-person dollys used to move pianos. I
moved my own large upright piano by myself using one: across the
living room, down the steps, up a reinforced ply ramp and into the
truck, and I'm no weight lifter. It has wheels and tracks down the
side.

Norman D. Crow

"Ollie" wrote in message
[...]

If he's getting the G0555, it's well packed, and on it's side is fine. IIRC,
when I got mine in Williamsport, it was already laying on it's side when I
backed into the warehouse to get it. They picked it up w/fork lift, we slid
it off the forks into my P/U and it traveled 250+mi. on it's side, no
problem.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Joe

CLIP
when I got mine in Williamsport,

CLIP

Is that Williamsport, PA? If so, tell me about the area... Thinking of
relocating to near Lewisburg/Shamokin. All I've learned so far is to avoid
the area near the river.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

Silvan

igor wrote:

Any other ideas for doing this? Anyone know if the truck typically used
for this has a slot in which I might hook a ramp -- like U-haul trucks
have? Any homemade ramp designs? I figure that for anything 250 pounds
a ramp would be an OK solution - even a steep ramp just for sliding the
box. -- Igor

It's not the weight. 198 pounds is really rather trivial as stuff that
ships on trucks goes. (I'm a truck driver. I shove things off the ass end
of my truck all day long.)

The problem getting 198 pounds to the ground without a lift gate is with the
length of the box. If you have a box about 6' long that weighs 400 pounds,
it's not too difficult a matter to shove it off the truck and lever it down
to the ground, using the edge of the trailer itself as the fulcrum to take
up most of the weight (being careful not to snag it on door hooks and
whatnot). If the box is only 3' long, then it gets bitchy. There's not
much for it but to put somebody (or a pair of somebodys) on the ground to
more or less try to hold it up and lower it slowly, rather than letting it
plummet with a big clunk.

I would guess the bandsaw box is probably at the bitchy end of the spectrum,
but 198 pounds isn't too much for two people to handle. The driver should
help hold it up from his end while you lower it. Once you get it on the
ground, it should be no problem to hand truck it around.

Or maybe he has a liftgate. I guess that will become apparent when he gets
there.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Kenneth wrote:

First, the bad news:

As I understand this situation, the trucker is obligated
only to get the goods to the rear lip of the truck.

Yup. "Tailgating" the freight.

Never have I had any trucker hesitate to provide assistance,
and when they have assisted, it has often been far beyond
anything I might have expected.

Especially if you, or someone in your employ, is, um, easy on the eyes.

Were I in your shoes, I would invite a friend over, or, if
that were not possible, I'd have a pair of 2 x 10s handy for
a makeshift ramp.

I would *not* bother with a ramp. We used to have ramps made out of
waterbed frames. Just about the same as two 2x10s, SYP. They were
completely worthless. Too springy, not slippery enough; worse than
nothing.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Phisherman

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 00:36:35 GMT, igor wrote:

My Grizzly 14" bandsaw is on its way. Unfortunately, the "local" truck

snip

ramp would be an OK solution - even a steep ramp just for sliding the box.
-- Igor

I had one piece of equipment (my bandsaw) held at the trucking company
for pickup. Then I asked a friend who owns a truck to arrange for
pickup. I got another beefy friend to go with us and the three of use
got it off the truck with little hassle and into my shop. Another
time I rented a truck with a lift. It helps to own a 1000-lb hand
truck and dolly.

Ba r r y

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 00:36:35 GMT, igor wrote:

Any other ideas for doing this?

If the driver won't help and you have a pickup, do the following:

Back the pickup up to the rear of the big rig. Slide the saw from the
rig into the pickup bed. Drive the pickup back into the driveway.
Slide the saw off the pickup bed onto the ground.

FWIW, 198 pounds isn't that heavy. (2) 2x6x12's would let you slide
the saw easily from the rig deck to the ground quite easily. You can
drive nails though the boards into the pavement or ground to keep the
boards in place. Most drivers would help you stabilize the package as
it slides down the ramp. The two of you would be standing on the
ground.

I got my 265 pound bandsaw package out of my trailer and into the shop
alone, but I'm 220-230 lbs. G

Have fun with the new tool!

Barry
Guess who

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 02:00:39 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

igor wrote:

[...]

"Give me a lever long enough and I can move the earth."

Try a plywood ramp and a pulley system. Been there too. Ease it down
at your own pace, using one hand if the system has several pulleys.

C C

My Grizzly GO555 was just delivered couple weeks ago. The tractor trailor
pulled up in front of the house and we were waiting on it. The driver
wheeled it to the back of the trailor, and before I could get the hand truck
out of the shop and to the truck, my friend and the driver had it on the
ground. They just tilted it and slid it off the bed and lowered it to the
ground. It was no problem at all. We tilted it over and slid the base of the
hand truck under it, and wheeled it into the shop. The driver did not have
to, but he helped get it off the back of the truck and into the shop, off
the hand truck and laid over onto the floor. There was a small tear in the
cardboard of the container and he wanted us to open it to make sure there
was no problem with the contents. It all arrived in perfect condition, The
styrofoam had protected to saw from any damage. Was a lot easier to get off
than I had expected. I was also worried about getting it off the truck and
into the shop. There was no problem at all. Very easy to do. The drivers are
good at helping get the trucks unloaded. You will need help getting it all
assembled. Base is built first, then the saw is lifted up and attached to
the base. I also got the riser block and took the saw apart before putting
on the base, then assembled the riser then put the saw back together. Again,
you will need help here too. If you are getting a roll-around base, it is
easier to assemble that and put on base before the rest of the assembly,
though mine arrived after I put the saw together. I put the saw onto the
base by myself by levering the saw up onto 2 2X4's and tilting the sawand
sliding the base under it, then sliding the saw the rest of the way onto the
base. Be careful, it is a little tipsy like that, but was easy to do.
CC

"igor" wrote in message
[...]

Silvan

C C wrote:

The
drivers are good at helping get the trucks unloaded.

That's because we want to go HOME.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Scott Wilson

Never have I had any trucker hesitate to provide assistance,
and when they have assisted, it has often been far beyond
anything I might have expected.

All that said, you have the be prepared to lower the thing
on your own just in case...

I've had similar experiences... It seems like the more prepared you
appear the more willing the driver is to help.

If its just a G555 though it won't be any problem. I picked one up at
Grizzly, and my wife and I unloaded it off of our pickup without
problem. Worst case, be ready to open it and take out as pieces...
Scott

Lee Gordon

Barry ...

FWIW, 198 pounds isn't that heavy. (2) 2x6x12's would let you slide
the saw easily from the rig deck to the ground quite easily. You can
drive nails though the boards into the pavement or ground to keep the
boards in place. Most drivers would help you stabilize the package as
it slides down the ramp. The two of you would be standing on the
ground.

I got my 265 pound bandsaw package out of my trailer and into the shop
alone, but I'm 220-230 lbs. G

It must depend on how that 220-230 lbs is distributed. g That's about
how much I weigh too but, while it took just the two of us to load my
(formerly your) jointer (about 265 lbs worth, I'm guessing) onto my van, I
needed to trick .. er, recruit ... two warm bodies to help me unload it.

Lee

Rumpty

The truck driver
placed an old tire below the back of his truck and gently guided the package
down (I was watching from my garage).

Now you know how to get 50 gallon drums of oil off of the truck and onto the
ground. Tire on the ground, drop the drum onto it's side, roll off the truck
onto the tire, which is placed off center to the drum and the drum pops up
off of the tire onto the ground and you roll into your shop.....

--

Rumpty

"WD" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 00:36:35 GMT, igor wrote:

My Grizzle 14" came without lift gate or any lifting device. The truck

driver
placed an old tire below the back of his truck and gently guided the

package
down (I was watching from my garage). After which we lifted the package

onto my
homemade 3'X4" moveable steel platform and helped me push it into the

garage. It
was like a piece of cake. He must have done it over a thousand times.

[...]

Larry Jaques

"igor" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Griz used Oak Harbor Freight for my G1012 (18" bandsaur) and he
unloaded it with his liftgate without being asked. I didn't arrange
for a liftgate but they provided one. Your trucking company might
also. Otherwise, wax up a tubaten and you + the trucker can easily
slide 'er down to the ground.

OR pop the crate open, remove the sub-100 lb pieces (motor, frame)
individually, then drop the lighter crate off the truck. It only
takes a couple minutes. Hand-truck 'em inside as he drives off.

I used a milk crate for leverage to get my heavy casting up onto the
stand so I could assemble the entire bandsaw by myself that afternoon.
It took about an hour as there was very little cosmolene to remove.

* * Humorous T-shirts Online
* Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design
* * http://www.diversify.com

Ba r r y

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:24:28 -0500, "Lee Gordon"
wrote:

It must depend on how that 220-230 lbs is distributed. g That's about
how much I weigh too but, while it took just the two of us to load my
(formerly your) jointer (about 265 lbs worth, I'm guessing) onto my van, I
needed to trick .. er, recruit ... two warm bodies to help me unload it.

Lee

Your van's door and the fact that we didn't want to pick it up by the
tables did make things interesting!

The band saw was boxed and about the side of a dorm fridge.

The more tools you get, the more friends will get caller ID, trust me.

Barry
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:22:00 GMT, Phisherman calmly
ranted:

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 00:36:35 GMT, igor wrote:

My Grizzly 14" bandsaw is on its way. Unfortunately, the "local" truck

snip

ramp would be an OK solution - even a steep ramp just for sliding the box.
-- Igor

I had one piece of equipment (my bandsaw) held at the trucking company
for pickup. Then I asked a friend who owns a truck to arrange for
pickup. I got another beefy friend to go with us and the three of use
got it off the truck with little hassle and into my shop. Another
time I rented a truck with a lift. It helps to own a 1000-lb hand
truck and dolly.

HF has their liftgate on sale for half price right now. Drive the
pickup up to the back of the freight trailer, lower it down, then
use the $199 HF liftgate to get it the other two feet down.

* * Humorous T-shirts Online
* Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design
* * http://www.diversify.com

Roger Shoaf

You also might consider a little something nice for the driver like a little
package of the Mrs.' cookies or a nice cup of coffee or something like that.

When I was driving a truck I delivered a load of 30 sacks (150#) of coffee
beans to an independent coffee roaster and he filled my thermos with some
fresh brewed java. This made a real nice gesture and I didn't feel so bad
about lugging those heavy sacks.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.
"Silvan" wrote in message
igor wrote:

[...]

Norman D. Crow

"Joe" wrote in message
CLIP
when I got mine in Williamsport,

CLIP

Is that Williamsport, PA? If so, tell me about the area... Thinking of
relocating to near Lewisburg/Shamokin. All I've learned so far is to

avoid
the area near the river.
--

Yes, it's the one in PA. The showroom is actually in the Muncy Mall, about
10-15mi East of Williamsport. I can't really help you too much on the area,

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

DamnYankeeBastard

"Joe" wrote in message
CLIP
when I got mine in Williamsport,

CLIP

Is that Williamsport, PA? If so, tell me about the area... Thinking of
relocating to near Lewisburg/Shamokin. All I've learned so far is to

avoid
the area near the river.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

Joe,

I live about 1.5 hours North of Lewisburg. One of our sister companies is
in Lewisburg so I've spent a fair amount of time there. Email me at
with your questions and I'll be glad to answer what
I can. If I can't answer them, I'll direct you to some of the people that
actually live down there.

Bryan

igor

wrote:

It's not the weight. 198 pounds is really rather trivial as stuff that
ships on trucks goes. (I'm a truck driver. I shove things off the ass end
of my truck all day long.)

[snip]

Since you are a truck driver, could you tell me if the truck typically used
for this would have a slot at the back edge into which I might hook a ramp
-- like U-haul trucks have? Maybe not for this delivery, but if I get any
heavier stuff coming and I do rig up a ramp.

Also, I noticed that no one in this thread suggested a tip -- dollars, that
is. Coffee, cookies, but no cash. Maybe it's because I live in a large
metro area.

TIA. -- Igor
igor

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:46:41 -0500, "Rumpty" wrote:

The truck driver

placed an old tire below the back of his truck and gently guided the package
down (I was watching from my garage).

Now you know how to get 50 gallon drums of oil off of the truck and onto the
ground. Tire on the ground, drop the drum onto it's side, roll off the truck
onto the tire, which is placed off center to the drum and the drum pops up
off of the tire onto the ground and you roll into your shop.....

That IS impressive. Wonder if it would work for a jointer?
igor

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 21:49:53 -0500, "Ollie"
wrote:

I share the same experience as Kenneth. I have received a 600 lb table saw,
600 lb planer, 450 lb, jointer. and several lighter items even without being
at home when the deliveries were done. In some cases, I got the service
even without paying the additional lift gate fee ($75 - $125). At the end,
I have been happy with the services received from the shipping companies.
On other hand, it has been unnecessary difficult to arrange the delivery
with Grizzly. The other companies (Wilkes) have been more flexible in the
shipping arrangements.

From which companies did you make the purchases where the trucking
companies were good? And, what part of the country are you in? (I'm near
DC.) TIA. -- Igor
igor

This is a lot more replies than I had expected -- one never knows. All
very helpful. Thanks everyone.

A couple of comments. I did call Grizzly and they said that it is OK to
lay the box on its side. As a couple of people noted, it apparently even
ships on its side. I live in a rowhouse in a metro area, so its not quite
suburban and certainly not country. (For example, Fedex and UPS have
standing orders from me (which they sometimes forget) to leave nothing at
the door if no one is here.) OTOH, many of the suggestions made me think
back to the suburban house I grew up in, with my Dad's garage workshop
right at driveway level -- drive up and drop.

I am hopeful that the driver will provide at least some basic help, and as
noted by many, 198# is rather manageable. But I always like to be prepared
in case, for whatever reason, he is content to do nothing. My experience,
to date, even with companies that say "curb-side only" is that the drivers
do help. I got one delivery that was about 3K pounds in 70 pound packages
and unexpectedly the driver took one for about everyone I took - including
6 steps up to the front porch. Tools go up just two steps from the
sidewalk and then down 7 to the basement. Having a hand truck with large
air-filled tires - versus the small hard wheels - helps a lot both up and
down.

Again, thanks for all of the observations and anecdotes. And for those of
you who wrestled the tools with your wife's help, I am especially
impressed. -- Igor

Gerald Ross

igor wrote:
My Grizzly 14" bandsaw is on its way. Unfortunately, the "local" truck

Any other ideas for doing this? Anyone know if the truck typically used
for this has a slot in which I might hook a ramp -- like U-haul trucks
have? Any homemade ramp designs? I figure that for anything 250 pounds a
ramp would be an OK solution - even a steep ramp just for sliding the box.
-- Igor

Mine came by FedEx, the little lady driver loaded it onto
her handcart and rolled it into the shop. Real nice about
it, too. Refused any help.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I am a mental tourist. My mind wanders.

Silvan

igor wrote:

Since you are a truck driver, could you tell me if the truck typically
used for this would have a slot at the back edge into which I might hook a
ramp
-- like U-haul trucks have? Maybe not for this delivery, but if I get
any heavier stuff coming and I do rig up a ramp.

No. The only trucks that typically have something like that are household
goods trailers and some reefers. Some trucks used for local P&D stuff
(pickup and delivery) have lift gates. Some do not. YMMV.

Also, I noticed that no one in this thread suggested a tip -- dollars,
that
is. Coffee, cookies, but no cash. Maybe it's because I live in a large
metro area.

Cash is cool. I used to have a regular stop where the guy would do seven
kinds of dicking me around before finally getting the truck unloaded. He
would slip me $25, and I would smile and go on my merry way behind schedule
but somehow in a good mood anyway.

Having shapely women loitering around is a bonus too.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Kevin Craig

In article , Ba r r y
wrote:

I got my 265 pound bandsaw package out of my trailer and into the shop
alone, but I'm 220-230 lbs. G

When I was about 185 (15 years and 50 pounds ago), I moved a spinet
piano, refrigerator, and washer and dryer by myself. Just me and my
little '89 Nissan Hardbody pickup, a few milk crates, and some creative
thinking. :-)

We gave that same piano to some friends for Christmas last year. It
took four of us to move it out of the pickup, down the sidewalk, and up
the (narrow!) stairs to their second floor apartment.

Kevin
Silvan

Kevin Craig wrote:

In article , Ba r r y
wrote:

I got my 265 pound bandsaw package out of my trailer and into the shop
alone, but I'm 220-230 lbs. G

When I was about 185 (15 years and 50 pounds ago), I moved a spinet
piano, refrigerator, and washer and dryer by myself. Just me and my
little '89 Nissan Hardbody pickup, a few milk crates, and some creative
thinking. :-)

That brings back memories! It wasn't a Nissan, but an Isuzu of similar
vintage.

me: "Don't you think we ought to tie this down somehow?"

friend: "Nah, it will be OK. I don't have any rope."

WHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUNNGK!!!!!

Piano parts everywhere. It dented up his truck too. Helping a friend move
a piano. We made it all the way across town with the stupid thing, and
then he cut a corner too close and ran over a 2" curb. That was all she
wrote for the poor pie-anner.

It was hard not to laugh. It was one of the funniest things I had ever
seen, on one level, though a tragedy on another. Like so many cartoons
brought to life. The sound effect they use in cartoons just doesn't really
capture it.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Charlie Self

Silvan responds:

[...]

Oof. I don't understand why people with pick-ups, who actually use them once in
a while as pick-ups, don't go to Northern or a similar place and grab a couple,
three, four of the 2" wide straps. I've got 4, adjustable but not ratcheting (I
don't like the ratcheting). If you hook something with those, then pull them
tight, and they turn over, the truck is also going to be on its top.

Of course, I've got a piano eating space in the dining room--eating eating
space?--that was going to a local high school. But the local high school gave
the piano's space to the athletic department.

There's some sense of local priorities in that tale, except that this school
has had 27 losing years in a row in every sport I can recall...

Charlie Self
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder
respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

Fred Bassett

This has been most interesting thread to watch....
Let us know what happened when it was delivered!

When is it due in any case?

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 03:06:22 GMT, igor wrote:

[...]

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 03:01:04 GMT, igor calmly
ranted:

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:46:41 -0500, "Rumpty" wrote:

The truck driver

placed an old tire below the back of his truck and gently guided the package
down (I was watching from my garage).

Now you know how to get 50 gallon drums of oil off of the truck and onto the
ground. Tire on the ground, drop the drum onto it's side, roll off the truck
onto the tire, which is placed off center to the drum and the drum pops up
off of the tire onto the ground and you roll into your shop.....

That IS impressive. Wonder if it would work for a jointer?

Jointer crates are a teensy bit less round, Igor.

And I consider cast iron to be a bit more brittle than oil
on most days, anyway.

- Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design
- nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:51:42 -0500, Silvan
calmly ranted:

Cash is cool. I used to have a regular stop where the guy would do seven
kinds of dicking me around before finally getting the truck unloaded. He
would slip me $25, and I would smile and go on my merry way behind schedule
but somehow in a good mood anyway.

Cash is always cool.

Having shapely women loitering around is a bonus too.

Yabbut it's extremely dangerous to be rigging AFTER all the blood has
left your upper head.

- Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design
- nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com

Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

Of course, I've got a piano eating space in the dining room--eating eating
space?--that was going to a local high school. But the local high school
gave the piano's space to the athletic department.

There's some sense of local priorities in that tale, except that this
school has had 27 losing years in a row in every sport I can recall...

Sounds like maybe they should give up sports and teach more kids how to play
the pie-anner.

This guy's dad was with him too. His dad is pretty inept. He almost killed
me with a chainsaw once. One of those guys who made a good living and
lived in a froofy, exclusive neighborhood, and had a bunch of exotic,
high-dollar toys around, but he thought being someone who made a good
living and living in a froofy, exclusive neighborhood, and having a bunch
of exotic, high-dollar toys around somehow granted him the ability to use
the things without bothering to learn anything about them. You know the
type. Full 2,000-piece set of Snap-On tools in the shop, honking
compressor with air system, but he has to pay someone to change his oil
because he can't quite figure out how to do it.

The fact that those two lost a piano off the back of a truck really didn't
come as that much of a surprise to me.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Duane Bozarth

Silvan wrote:

Charlie Self wrote:

Of course, I've got a piano eating space in the dining room--eating eating
space?--that was going to a local high school. But the local high school
gave the piano's space to the athletic department.

There's some sense of local priorities in that tale, except that this
school has had 27 losing years in a row in every sport I can recall...

Sounds like maybe they should give up sports and teach more kids how to play
the pie-anner.

I don't know, maybe the extra room will be just the motivation they
need?