Dave W

Hi Igor,
I have done this with a Delta 14 inch bandsaw. Slide it out with you
and the driver helping. Once on the ground, a handcart with a piece of wood
across the bottom should do it. Make sure to tie the goods to the handcart!
Good luck.
Dave

"igor" wrote in message
My Grizzly 14" bandsaw is on its way. Unfortunately, the "local" truck
depot is about 75 minutes away (at best), so I'd like to have Grizzly's
trucking company deliver to my home shop, since I paid for the mileage. I
did ask Grizzly and they said that the saw in the box can safely be placed
on its side, and 198 pounds is not much to lower from the truck. (I do
have a hand truck to take it from the side of the truck to the shop.)
Unfortunately, I cannot be sure I can get mid-day help to do this. I'm
thinking some $$ inducement might inspire the driver -- it would be less
than 60 seconds of help to slide it down the back of the truck to the
ground. It's not as if I'm getting an 8" jointer. (Not yet.)

Any other ideas for doing this? Anyone know if the truck typically used
for this has a slot in which I might hook a ramp -- like U-haul trucks
have? Any homemade ramp designs? I figure that for anything 250 pounds
ramp would be an OK solution - even a steep ramp just for sliding the box.
-- Igor