Roger Shoaf

You also might consider a little something nice for the driver like a little
package of the Mrs.' cookies or a nice cup of coffee or something like that.

When I was driving a truck I delivered a load of 30 sacks (150#) of coffee
beans to an independent coffee roaster and he filled my thermos with some
fresh brewed java. This made a real nice gesture and I didn't feel so bad
about lugging those heavy sacks.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.
"Silvan" wrote in message
igor wrote:

Any other ideas for doing this? Anyone know if the truck typically used
for this has a slot in which I might hook a ramp -- like U-haul trucks
have? Any homemade ramp designs? I figure that for anything 250

pounds
a ramp would be an OK solution - even a steep ramp just for sliding the
box. -- Igor

It's not the weight. 198 pounds is really rather trivial as stuff that
ships on trucks goes. (I'm a truck driver. I shove things off the ass

end
of my truck all day long.)

The problem getting 198 pounds to the ground without a lift gate is with

the
length of the box. If you have a box about 6' long that weighs 400

pounds,
it's not too difficult a matter to shove it off the truck and lever it

down
to the ground, using the edge of the trailer itself as the fulcrum to take
up most of the weight (being careful not to snag it on door hooks and
whatnot). If the box is only 3' long, then it gets bitchy. There's not
much for it but to put somebody (or a pair of somebodys) on the ground to
more or less try to hold it up and lower it slowly, rather than letting it
plummet with a big clunk.

I would guess the bandsaw box is probably at the bitchy end of the

spectrum,
but 198 pounds isn't too much for two people to handle. The driver should
help hold it up from his end while you lower it. Once you get it on the
ground, it should be no problem to hand truck it around.

Or maybe he has a liftgate. I guess that will become apparent when he

gets
there.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan