C C

My Grizzly GO555 was just delivered couple weeks ago. The tractor trailor
pulled up in front of the house and we were waiting on it. The driver
wheeled it to the back of the trailor, and before I could get the hand truck
out of the shop and to the truck, my friend and the driver had it on the
ground. They just tilted it and slid it off the bed and lowered it to the
ground. It was no problem at all. We tilted it over and slid the base of the
hand truck under it, and wheeled it into the shop. The driver did not have
to, but he helped get it off the back of the truck and into the shop, off
the hand truck and laid over onto the floor. There was a small tear in the
cardboard of the container and he wanted us to open it to make sure there
was no problem with the contents. It all arrived in perfect condition, The
styrofoam had protected to saw from any damage. Was a lot easier to get off
than I had expected. I was also worried about getting it off the truck and
into the shop. There was no problem at all. Very easy to do. The drivers are
good at helping get the trucks unloaded. You will need help getting it all
assembled. Base is built first, then the saw is lifted up and attached to
the base. I also got the riser block and took the saw apart before putting
on the base, then assembled the riser then put the saw back together. Again,
you will need help here too. If you are getting a roll-around base, it is
easier to assemble that and put on base before the rest of the assembly,
though mine arrived after I put the saw together. I put the saw onto the
base by myself by levering the saw up onto 2 2X4's and tilting the sawand
sliding the base under it, then sliding the saw the rest of the way onto the
base. Be careful, it is a little tipsy like that, but was easy to do.
CC

"igor" wrote in message
My Grizzly 14" bandsaw is on its way. Unfortunately, the "local" truck
depot is about 75 minutes away (at best), so I'd like to have Grizzly's
trucking company deliver to my home shop, since I paid for the mileage. I
did ask Grizzly and they said that the saw in the box can safely be placed
on its side, and 198 pounds is not much to lower from the truck. (I do
have a hand truck to take it from the side of the truck to the shop.)
Unfortunately, I cannot be sure I can get mid-day help to do this. I'm
thinking some $$ inducement might inspire the driver -- it would be less
than 60 seconds of help to slide it down the back of the truck to the
ground. It's not as if I'm getting an 8" jointer. (Not yet.)

Any other ideas for doing this? Anyone know if the truck typically used
for this has a slot in which I might hook a ramp -- like U-haul trucks
have? Any homemade ramp designs? I figure that for anything 250 pounds
ramp would be an OK solution - even a steep ramp just for sliding the box.
-- Igor