Charlie Self

Silvan responds:

When I was about 185 (15 years and 50 pounds ago), I moved a spinet
piano, refrigerator, and washer and dryer by myself. Just me and my
little '89 Nissan Hardbody pickup, a few milk crates, and some creative
thinking. :-)

That brings back memories! It wasn't a Nissan, but an Isuzu of similar
vintage.

me: "Don't you think we ought to tie this down somehow?"

friend: "Nah, it will be OK. I don't have any rope."

WHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUNNGK!!!!!

Piano parts everywhere. It dented up his truck too. Helping a friend move
a piano. We made it all the way across town with the stupid thing, and
then he cut a corner too close and ran over a 2" curb. That was all she
wrote for the poor pie-anner.

It was hard not to laugh. It was one of the funniest things I had ever
seen, on one level, though a tragedy on another. Like so many cartoons
brought to life. The sound effect they use in cartoons just doesn't really
capture it.

Oof. I don't understand why people with pick-ups, who actually use them once in
a while as pick-ups, don't go to Northern or a similar place and grab a couple,
three, four of the 2" wide straps. I've got 4, adjustable but not ratcheting (I
don't like the ratcheting). If you hook something with those, then pull them
tight, and they turn over, the truck is also going to be on its top.

Of course, I've got a piano eating space in the dining room--eating eating
space?--that was going to a local high school. But the local high school gave
the piano's space to the athletic department.

There's some sense of local priorities in that tale, except that this school
has had 27 losing years in a row in every sport I can recall...

Charlie Self
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder
respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell