skeezics

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 00:36:35 GMT, igor wrote:

My Grizzly 14" bandsaw is on its way. Unfortunately, the "local" truck
depot is about 75 minutes away (at best), so I'd like to have Grizzly's
trucking company deliver to my home shop, since I paid for the mileage. I
did ask Grizzly and they said that the saw in the box can safely be placed
on its side, and 198 pounds is not much to lower from the truck. (I do
have a hand truck to take it from the side of the truck to the shop.)
Unfortunately, I cannot be sure I can get mid-day help to do this. I'm
thinking some $$ inducement might inspire the driver -- it would be less
than 60 seconds of help to slide it down the back of the truck to the
ground. It's not as if I'm getting an 8" jointer. (Not yet.)

Any other ideas for doing this? Anyone know if the truck typically used
for this has a slot in which I might hook a ramp -- like U-haul trucks
have? Any homemade ramp designs? I figure that for anything 250 pounds a
ramp would be an OK solution - even a steep ramp just for sliding the box.
-- Igor

i unloaded my 18" delta steel frame B/S myself. its not a big deal.
lay it back into the truck. use your legs to slide it out the back
untill its almost balanced. then get on the ground and tilt it down
till it touches the ground or your 4 wheel cart. [thats what i used ]
once it is stood up you can wheel it in on the cart or if you dont
have one borrow a hand truck. im 47 years old and only wheigh 175 lb.
if the truck is higher than half the hieght of the crate put down some
forn of platform to get at least that high. leverage is key here.
otherwise you can hurt yourself. my 115 lb wife and i unloaded a 400
pound dual drum sander the same way and she has a bad back. i didnt
use the cart for this one. after we got it down i tilted it and she
put a pipe under the front then i pushed it a little and tilted it
back again and sliped another pipe under it a third pipe makes it much
better as you roll it you put 1 pipe in front of the other as needed.
enjoy the new saw.

skeez