Ernie Leimkuhler

Default Bay Area Truck hunt --Update - SUCCESS!!!!

So I found a truck.
A very nice truck, and a very rare truck.
It is a 1986 Toyota Extra-cab, Longbed.

Yep, I said Extra-cab, Longbed.
I had no idea they even made such a beast, but it is mine now.
It is a good 12 inches longer than my 1985 1-ton Longbed.

132,000 miles, carbureted, power steering+brakes, tow package,
All new brakes, all new exhaust, a little bed rust, no body damage or
major rust spots, cloth interior.

All in all a really nice truck.
And here is the punchline......

..........the truck has Washington plates.

Turns out he guy was hunting for this specific truck a few months back
and found this truck in Redmond, Washington.
He flew up, bought it, and drove it down 2 months ago.
When he got it down to San Mateo he had a bunch of work done on it.
Then his dad got sick and could no longer drive his huge customized
1982 Ford Longbed truck.
This guy and his brother decided to keep the Ford and sell the Toyota.
He had never gotten around to registering it in California, so it
still has Washington state plates and the tabs are good till next
March.

Now I will be driving it back to Seattle in a few days.

Kind of funny don't ya think.

Anyway I got the truck today and immediately replaced, Cap+Rotor,
plugs, wires, thermostat, air filter, and belts.
Shot some carb cleaner in, and a bunch of engine cleaner.
Now it purrs, and climbs the Berkeley hills to my Parent's house like
a mountain goat.

BTW I paid $3500 for it.
The guy who sold it paid $4500 for it 2 months ago.

All in all, a successfull trip.
I can transfer the bedliner and truck rack from my 1-ton right onto
this truck and then start work on my 1-ton to convert it to a flatbed.
As to the engine in my dead 1-ton, I think I will stick with the Fuel
Injected 22R for now, and just rebuild it.
I might see if there are any Toyota truck rollovers in the junkyards
to get a pulled engine.
All the ones I found so far in the seattle area were carbureted.
Gotta be at least one fuel injected model somewhere.

Good to have hobbies.
Now if I could just find a spare couple of months.....
Sunworshiper

On 16 Sep 2003 01:23:17 -0700, (Ernie Leimkuhler)
wrote:

[...]

I bought my '86 22R carb. long bed new for $7,500. The thing won't
die , I've had the timing chain tensioners wore and gone and the chain
ate a hole into the back of the water pump and the crab. rebuilt
twice. 230,000 miles and starts with a touch of the key. It also
likes the highway and turns like a limo. Oh, the timing chain cover
for a FI is 1/8" higher than the carbed and you have to have a spacer
on a wire to hold the tensioners back to assemble it.

At a junkyard for parts the guy said why don't I buy the '85 (just
like yours Ernie) for $400 with water in the oil for parts. So I did
and figured it just might be that same problem and they turned it off
before it got too hot. Then I was thinking to switch trucks cause the
loud music doesn't work in the small cab and before I knew it I was
blasted by everyone. The neighbors and wife where all get rid of that
thing from the first day and what the hell are you doing. Day after
day , I told them to get off , and then this guy stops by everyday and
asks me to sell it and I tell him no. This went of for a good two
weeks and I gave up and sold it to the guy for like $900. I could
have had 2 , maybe.

That is a weird story BTW.
JR North

Congrats. That's one sweetheart deal.

[...]