Rich

Default Panel Saw seen beating crap out of Table Saw

I was comparing it to the average table saw. FWIW are you talking just
panels? What are the lumber capabilities of a panel saw? I've only cut
panels on one.

Rich

"Chris Melanson" wrote in message
I am curious as to what you mean by "limited in it function"?
I have two in the shop one is unable to use dado blades and the other one

is
dado capable. Other than this fact what is limited about these saws? As
compared to any decent cabinetmaking saw???
I find them to be far more useful and productive than a regular table
saw.

Chris

"Rich" wrote in message
om...

Why doesn't everyone just get a panel saw for cutting large sheet
goods? Seems like a much better option than even a sliding table saw.

JP

Because not everyone has the money. hehe.

Also the panel saw is awesome but it is limited in its function so not
everyone has the need of a specialty tool.

Never used a sliding table saw so dont know if its better or not. I

would
love to have the sliding table saw to try it out.

Rich

Chip Olson

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:52:38 +0000, Mike Marlow wrote:

Oh bull! Everyone knows a fire extinguisher is not a single task device.
Hell - it can be used as an excellent rolling pin, [...]

Indeed, I used my fire extinguisher as a rolling pin this very evening
(my actual rolling pin is packed in a box because I'm moving). Wrapped it
in aluminum foil first, though.

That ought to put me into the Misuse Of Tools Hall Of Fame (if I hadn't
already made it there by using Vice-Grips to stir paint once when I was
9). Worked OK, but was a pain to use because the handle and nozzle
protrude out past the radius of the body.

--
-Chip Olson. | ceo2 at thsi dot org | remove the 2 to reply

Old Nick

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 02:54:20 GMT, "Mark Wells"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I'm also wondering about all the "no money, no space" justifications. I
have a 9x19 shop with no table saw. The bandsaw is my primary saw. I was
considering building a panel saw and mounting it on the wall. It seems me
that would be relatively inexpensive and wouldn't take up that much room
mounted on the wall. Am I missing something?

PMFJI
Glad you mentioned this. I was wo0ndering about these and how good
they are.

Anyone built/used one and have any opinions? Cutting panels seems to
be the biggest bug these days for saws generally.

I actually think that the panel saws being referred to are the large
horizontal machines, niot these wall ones. They are very expensive and
take up huge space.
It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it
rammed down our throats.

Old Nick

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:34:00 GMT, "U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles" "Charles
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

dedicated pocket hole machine

......which describes _every_ wood working tool doesn't it? G
It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it
rammed down our throats.
Lobby Dosser

Old Nick wrote in
:

[...]

Here's a plan: http://store.yahoo.com/plansnow/panelcutguide.html

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 00:15:00 GMT, Old Nick
wrote:

[...]

both types are large and expensive for what they do. they do it well,
and if they fit your needs are great machines. I don't have space or
funds for either kind.
Upscale

Default Panel Saw seen beating crap out of Table Saw - Except for Mitres and Diagonals?

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
Here's a plan: http://store.yahoo.com/plansnow/panelcutguide.html

For all the benefits a panel saw might supply, I have yet to see an
affordable one or a build-your-own model that can cut diagonals. Same for
mitres? There must other cuts that a panel saw can't do that a table saw
can. I suppose one could work around it by clamping sheet goods on an angle,
but it would be a pain to readjust for incremental cuts to sneak up on a
cutting line and pretty well impossible for cutting a 90° slice off the
middle of a 4'x8' sheet.

And yes, you can add a chop saw or something similar to do things like
mitres, but doesn't that defeat some of the biggest proponents for a panel
saw, the saving of space and money?

Old Nick

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 00:36:24 GMT, Lobby Dosser
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

OK. Thanks. It was that sort I was referring to. Has anyone actually
built and used one of these sort? I realise they are going to be as
good as they're built and set up, and probably as good as the saw
used. But they seemed like a good idea for eh occasional user, given
the price of a commercial panel saw.

Anyone built/used one and have any opinions? Cutting panels seems to
be the biggest bug these days for saws generally.

I actually think that the panel saws being referred to are the large
horizontal machines, niot these wall ones. They are very expensive and
take up huge space.
It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it
rammed down our throats.

Here's a plan: http://store.yahoo.com/plansnow/panelcutguide.html

It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it
rammed down our throats.
Lobby Dosser

"Upscale" wrote in
s.com:

Here's a plan: http://store.yahoo.com/plansnow/panelcutguide.html

For all the benefits a panel saw might supply, I have yet to see an
affordable one or a build-your-own model that can cut diagonals. Same
for mitres? There must other cuts that a panel saw can't do that a
table saw can. I suppose one could work around it by clamping sheet
goods on an angle, but it would be a pain to readjust for incremental
cuts to sneak up on a cutting line and pretty well impossible for
cutting a 90° slice off the middle of a 4'x8' sheet.

Running a 4'x8' sheet of plywood through a table saw at a 45 degree angle
sounds pretty dangerous. But then, running it through straight calls for
serious concentration.

And yes, you can add a chop saw or something similar to do things like
mitres, but doesn't that defeat some of the biggest proponents for a
panel saw, the saving of space and money?

Upscale

Running a 4'x8' sheet of plywood through a table saw at a 45 degree angle
sounds pretty dangerous. But then, running it through straight calls for
serious concentration.

Not at all if it's done properly. A simple angle guide and proper placement
of an outfeed table makes it very simple. But, forget about the 4x8 sheet.
What about simple mitres on smaller stock? As far as I've seen, a panel saw
is not capable of such cuts.

Lobby Dosser

"Upscale" wrote in
t.cable.rogers.com:

Running a 4'x8' sheet of plywood through a table saw at a 45 degree
angle sounds pretty dangerous. But then, running it through straight
calls for serious concentration.

Not at all if it's done properly. A simple angle guide and proper
placement of an outfeed table makes it very simple. But, forget about
the 4x8 sheet. What about simple mitres on smaller stock? As far as
I've seen, a panel saw is not capable of such cuts.

Don't know why not. Just calls for a different design than the norm. You'd
have to clamp the stock to a variable angle tray.
Charlie Self

Running a 4'x8' sheet of plywood through a table saw at a 45 degree
angle sounds pretty dangerous. But then, running it through straight
calls for serious concentration.

Not at all if it's done properly. A simple angle guide and proper
placement of an outfeed table makes it very simple. But, forget about
the 4x8 sheet. What about simple mitres on smaller stock? As far as
I've seen, a panel saw is not capable of such cuts.

Don't know why not. Just calls for a different design than the norm. You'd
have to clamp the stock to a variable angle tray.

Point being, you cannot do it NOW on a panel saw, and not on any I've ever
seen. It requies a modified outfeed table on a table saw, that can still be
used for other things, but adding a variable angle tray to a panel saw, and
making it removable, might be quite interesting. But it still won't beat the
crap out of a table saw.

Charlie Self
"I think the most un-American thing you can say is, 'You can't say that.'"
Garrison Keillor
Renata

Now, wait a minute. There are options aside from buying a planer and
jointer that will allow you to build something bigger than a breadbox.
Find yourself a decent lumber supplier, one who will surface the wood
for ya. Try woodfinder.com. Or even the phone book.

I've bought wood locally and mail order and haven't had any trouble
having the places doing the selling plane and joint the wood for but a
small extra charge.

Renata

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:05:45 -0700, Tim Douglass
wrote:

That's always my problem. Don't have jointer or planer at this time,
so I try to work with s4s, which means I can't afford to make anything
bigger than a breadbox. If I could afford the planer and jointer I
could buy cheaper rough lumber, but after buying the tools I wouldn't
have the dough to buy even rough-sawn. I could always go neander and
buy rough and surface it with a hand plane, but with the amount of
shop time I usually get that would mean I can only finish one project
a decade instead of my current one every 5 years....

Life is hard.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Renata

I'll have to see what kinda bit I can use in that there kitchen router
to make it "artisitic".

Speaking of...
This weekend I used my handy Milwaukee cordless sawzall to cut thru a
roll of (basement) carpet (12' wide, but only for a length of ~4';
then the other 14'+ needed to only be ~8' wide). Worked like a charm,
though we went back with scissors to trim the few random "strings"!

Renata

On 23 Jul 2004 12:20:09 -0700, (WoodChuck34)
wrote:

Renata wrote in message . ..
Don't you mean "highly comensated professional..."?

And, thanx for reminding me I have a couple avocados waiting to be
converted to guacamole.

Renata

You can use a Kitchen Router for that. It also makes nice flutings
for watermelon boats.

patrick conroy

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message

That's always my problem. Don't have jointer or planer at this time,
so I try to work with s4s, which means I can't afford to make anything

The lil' local hardwood supplier in a small town north of here will turn S2S
and S3S into S4s for me for a small additional charge. Pretty sure most HW
suppliers would do the same. Don't know your frame-of-reference, but's its
still much cheaper that S4S from the BORG

Life is hard.

Yes, yes it is quite challenging at times.

Randy

Rockler has plans and a kit for one constructed from 80/20 rectangular
t-slot tubing. Their kit is about $300, and about another $150 for the
wood etc required.

I've been accumulating bits and peices on ebay for about a year now, and
should be able to put one together this fall. All told I think, I'll
have about $300 in it when I'm done, including a dedicated saw to use on
it.

I'm guessing nobody else has made one, but if anyone has, do you like it?

Old Nick wrote:

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:16:48 -0700, vaguely
proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

The alternative is one such as the plans suggested by Lobby Dosser.
Littlel room, reasonable cost.

I actually think that the panel saws being referred to are the large
horizontal machines, niot these wall ones. They are very expensive and
take up huge space.

both types are large and expensive for what they do. they do it well,
and if they fit your needs are great machines. I don't have space or
funds for either kind.

It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it
rammed down our throats.

Morris Dovey

Randy wrote:

Rockler has plans and a kit for one constructed from 80/20
rectangular t-slot tubing. Their kit is about $300, and about
another $150 for the wood etc required.

I've been accumulating bits and peices on ebay for about a
year now, and should be able to put one together this fall.
All told I think, I'll have about $300 in it when I'm done,
including a dedicated saw to use on it.

I'm guessing nobody else has made one, but if anyone has, do
you like it?

Randy...

Please keep us posted on your progress! I've been doing the same
and think (hope) I'm on about the same schedule. Those
off-the-shelf units that approach "affordable" seem to be
universally too short; and those that're long enough are too pricey.

I'm cutting a fair number of plywood sheets for solar heating
panels using the Lee Valley saw guide, which works well; but
isn't really well-suited to production use.

The Rockler plans/reprint look like a good starting point for a
new design; but I think I'll build with chrome-molly steel,
Delrin, UHMWPE, and stainless fasteners - and yes, I'm planning
to like it fairly well (-:

I built a sled for my TS (under influence of the wRECk) and have
been pondering incorporation of a lockable "panel sled" moving on
linear bearings into my design. It might make the darned thing a
lot easier to use...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Old Nick

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 03:50:17 GMT, Randy vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

This is what worries me. Nobody is replying. There are areas where I
am willing to pioneer, and even reinvent the wheel, but not here. This
is a "wanna" project, and is banned unless proven by TPTB

I'm guessing nobody else has made one, but if anyone has, do you like it?

It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it
rammed down our throats.
Bart

I have a Full sized DeWalt panel saw that was missing the saw when I
got it. I installed a circular saw in it & it works great. I paid $100
for it. I have a full shop including 10" CS,6" Jointer, 12" portable
planer 12" RAS & 12" CMS RA drill press both 12" & 14" Band saw,
Mortiser, Spindle sande & 9"/48" combo sander & a 50 gal air
compressor, welder & 3'x5' workbench/out-feed table & a 2 HP DC. All
in a 13'5" x 24'5" shop.

Ya its crowded. But I have built a 8' long black melamine computer
desk it this shop so it can't be to bad.

The panel saw is what makes a small shop workable. Just put the sheet
goods through the PS first & it makes it a whole lot easier to handle
in a small shop.

I only have 1 36" door into the shop & straight ahead is the PS & I
store full sized sheet goods behind the PS.

Another thing it is a real back saver. Remember you only have one
back, so protect it.
patrick conroy

"J T" wrote in message

I get them sliced where I buy.

Me too usually. Gott'a be careful with MDF. Seven out'a ten times the cutter
forgets about the extra inch.

NoOne N Particular

If you have them cut to size where you buy, do one of two things. Either
provide oversized dimensions, or measure before you leave.

I just had some plywood cut for me at my local Big B. The shop hand cut if
for me on their fancy schmancy panel saw and loaded it into my pickemup
truck. Got home and they were all 1/4 short. Fortunately for me, the
dimensions I gave were all a little oversized and I was still able to trim
everything down to correct size.

Wayne

"J T" wrote in message
Tue, Jul 27, 2004, 10:19pm (EDT-3) (Bart) claims:
snip The panel saw is what makes a small shop workable. snip

That's sorta correct. My shop's way too small for a panel saw. I
get them sliced where I buy. First 3 cuts free, the rest $.25 each.
But, they usually don't charge.

IF I still could handle full sheets, I'd just cut them down on the
back of my truck, with a straightedge, and circular saw. But, I can't,
so I don't.

JOAT
Expensive tennis shoes won't cure a sore toe.
- Bazooka Joe
JERUSALEM RIDGE
http://www.banjer.com/midi/jerridge.mid

Unisaw A100

patrick conroy wrote:
Me too usually. Gott'a be careful with MDF. Seven out'a ten times the cutter
forgets about the extra inch.

That's why I always (OK most of the time) carry a tape and a
pencil.

UA100, who doesn't wrestle 4X8's down the stairs...

CW

You actualy find them that can measure?