Davemac

Default Router Table vs Router Table extension on Table Saw

Having a router table would be nice but it's another piece of
furniture in the woodshop. Attempting to save space I would like to
make a router extension on the table saw. My question is with the
narrow extension will I have more vibration because of the limited
area to work on?
RWM

"Davemac" wrote in message
om...
Having a router table would be nice but it's another piece of
furniture in the woodshop. Attempting to save space I would like to
make a router extension on the table saw. My question is with the
narrow extension will I have more vibration because of the limited
area to work on?

I know that this isn't a direct answer to your question but it might help.
I had the same problem and tried the router in the extension of my table
saw. I didn't like it, but it wasn't because of vibration. For me, it was
awkward positioning at the end of my saw. I switched to a router table with
folding legs. I leave the fence still attached, but fold the table up
against a wall when I am not using it. For me it was a much better
solution.

Bob McBreen

Toller

"Davemac" wrote in message
om...
Having a router table would be nice but it's another piece of
furniture in the woodshop. Attempting to save space I would like to
make a router extension on the table saw. My question is with the
narrow extension will I have more vibration because of the limited
area to work on?

The idea was very attractive to me for the same reason; but I decided
against it because it would be extra work changing between router table and
TS, the size was a bit small, and connecting to a DC would be more
difficult.

However, whenever my router table get in the way I wonder if it was the
right choice. Neither solution is perfect.

Never Enough Money

"RWM" wrote in message ...
"Davemac" wrote in message
om...
Having a router table would be nice but it's another piece of
furniture in the woodshop. Attempting to save space I would like to
make a router extension on the table saw. My question is with the
narrow extension will I have more vibration because of the limited
area to work on?

I know that this isn't a direct answer to your question but it might help.
I had the same problem and tried the router in the extension of my table
saw. I didn't like it, but it wasn't because of vibration. For me, it was
awkward positioning at the end of my saw. I switched to a router table with
folding legs. I leave the fence still attached, but fold the table up
against a wall when I am not using it. For me it was a much better
solution.

Bob McBreen

I have both. However, I like the router table because sometimes it's
just too much trouble to set up my vacuum to the table saw router
table. So I just lift my light router table outside and wear one of
those little air filter do-flitchies that fit on your head. I let the
dust fly out intot he community.

James D Kountz

One option is to make a router fence that slips over your table saw fence.
If you're crafty you can incorporate DC and adjustable fence halves and
other router goodies into this easily removable fence. Some inlaid steel
rules or something similar will help with setups too. I have both setups and
find myself using the saw mounted router more and more simply because I'm
already standing right there and its easy to just set the router fence on
the saw fence, slide it over and go to it.

Jim

"Dick Durbin" wrote in message
om...
(Davemac) wrote in message

. com...
Having a router table would be nice but it's another piece of
furniture in the woodshop. Attempting to save space I would like to
make a router extension on the table saw. My question is with the
narrow extension will I have more vibration because of the limited
area to work on?

A lttle over a year ago I bought a Rockler extension table for my Jet
contractor's saw. I never could get it mounted on the saw to my
satisfaction so I just built a cabinet using the Rockler router table.
It slides into the space where the right hand wing used to be on the
saw.

The only negative is that I have to remove the router fence to cut
anythin on the tablesaw that is more than a few inches wide. Other
than that, it was a good space saving move. I was able to consolidate
some of my dust collection by having the saw and router table in close
proximity.

Dick Durbin

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Davemac wrote:
Having a router table would be nice but it's another piece of
furniture in the woodshop. Attempting to save space I would like to
make a router extension on the table saw. My question is with the
narrow extension will I have more vibration because of the limited
area to work on?

I have one of the Bench Dog extensions mounted on the end of one of the cast
iron wings of my Ridgid 2424. The manufacturer suggested it replace the wing,
but I chose to just add it on. I also added a Master Lift at the same time.
Pretty sweet. I have not had any problems with vibration or sagging. I'm using
a PC 7518 router in it.

I've actually found the extension kind of handy, as I am able to use the router
fence as the table saw fence when I'm ripping overly wide boards. It gives me
significant extra capacity on the left side of my saw.

My shop is one bay of a two car garage, so space is at a premium. When I work,
I pull my car out of the other bay so I have walking around room, but the far
bay is the only one dedicated to woodworking (and reloading... but that's
another story).

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Brian Turner

I had a Craftsman router table. Recently I went into the Sears store
and noticed the same router table mounted to a Craftman 10" table saw.
I called Sears and ordered the parts to mount my router table to my
saw. Personally, I like it. Not only does it save room in my shop,
it is the right height and I can use the back of my fence to route
dados in lager pieces of wood than I could with the fence that came
with the router table. Dust collection is an issue but I like the
other post that suggests making a router fence to mount to my table
saw fence. The fence that came with the Craftsman router table has a
lot to be desired anyway.

(Davemac) wrote in message . com...
Having a router table would be nice but it's another piece of
furniture in the woodshop. Attempting to save space I would like to
make a router extension on the table saw. My question is with the
narrow extension will I have more vibration because of the limited
area to work on?

daryl1138

Just a thought...

I am in the process (on hold till warmer temps return) of building a
horizontal table illustrated in FWW a couple of years back. I am
siply mounting two runners to the bottom side that will fit my table
saw miter gauge tracks. These will extend out beyond the table with
flat head bolt on the underside and hand knob top side. Tightening
these should lock the router table to to the table saw fairly
securely. It also gets it up to what I consider a good working
height.

Like I say, can't attest to it working yet or not but it is another
option.
Daryl