Alexander Galkin

Default Router table

I am in the market for router table and raised panel bit set. I am going to
do a lot of raised panels so I want to buy quality table and bits but I have
a budget. I never owned or used router table before. Any recommendations
would be appreciated. I thought of buying a router table top with fence and
building base myself from MDF. Another question: do I absolutely need a
router lift or I can do without it? I have Makita RF1101 fix/plunge router
combo.

Mark Jerde

Alexander Galkin wrote:
I am in the market for router table and raised panel bit set. I am
going to do a lot of raised panels so I want to buy quality table and
bits but I have a budget. I never owned or used router table before.
Any recommendations would be appreciated. I thought of buying a
router table top with fence and building base myself from MDF.
Another question: do I absolutely need a router lift or I can do
without it? I have Makita RF1101 fix/plunge router combo.

A good starting point for routers:
http://www.patwarner.com/

-- Mark

Phisherman

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:11:10 -0500, "Alexander Galkin"
wrote:

I am in the market for router table and raised panel bit set. I am going to
do a lot of raised panels so I want to buy quality table and bits but I have
a budget. I never owned or used router table before. Any recommendations
would be appreciated. I thought of buying a router table top with fence and
building base myself from MDF. Another question: do I absolutely need a
router lift or I can do without it? I have Makita RF1101 fix/plunge router
combo.

I built the router table using Norm's plan. It works well but I made
a few changes to the plan--nigher drawers for the bits, thicker front
door, side dust collection port, etc. It has handcut dovetailed
drawers and white ok trim. I cost me about $200 to make and I could
not buy a quality table for that price. A router lift would be really
nice to have, but I could not find one at a reasonable cost so I do
without one and remove the router (a PC 3HP heavy router) after each
use. Maybe someday I'll make a router lift from an old scissor auto
jack.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Alexander Galkin" wrote in message
I am in the market for router table and raised panel bit set. I am going

do a lot of raised panels so I want to buy quality table and bits but I

have
a budget. I never owned or used router table before. Any recommendations
would be appreciated. I thought of buying a router table top with fence

and
building base myself from MDF. Another question: do I absolutely need a
router lift or I can do without it? I have Makita RF1101 fix/plunge router
combo.

How big is your budget? A Benchdog table with cabinet, top, fence is about
$400. Add wheels, drawers, featherboards, lifts, well, if you have the
money, it can be spent on it.

Their fence and top are a good setup if you want to make your own cabinet or
clamp it down on a couple of horses, etc.

While a lift is not essential at all, it does make bit changing faster and
setups easier. Their Pro model is $300+, but is well made. They have a
smaller lift, but for routers up to 2 1/4 HP. Swinging the big bits you'll
be using a 3 hp and need the bigger lift.

I have the Benchdog, but their are other good brands also.
Ed