Dave Ballard

Default Crank Handle to Raise & Lower Router in Table?

Okay, so I had to make the drive to Williamsburg to find a Lowes that
still had the Hitachi M12V. (I got one of the last two in case anyone
wants to go grab that last one.)

Now I'm looking at the various ways to raise & lower this monster
while it's mounted in the router table. (It will stay mounted in the
table; I have my PC690 for handheld operations.) Most of the
commercial solutions (Router Raizer, Rout-R-Lift, etc.) are out since
they cost almost as much as (or more than) I paid for the router.
Fiddling with the plunge lever looks too clumsy, and the
fine-adjustment knob would be way too slow. I seem to recall reading
of a home/shop-built arrangement consisting of a cable attached to the
router's plunge mechanism on one end and a crank wheel mounted to the
router table cabinet on the other. Does this sound familiar to
anyone? Any instructions/directions online?

TIA for the replies,

Dave
Tomeshew

Yes, it was just that, a speedo cable with a nut driver welded to the end, that
turned a like size bolt used on the router. Sorry, but the details and where I
saw it elude me. Maybe my neighbor had the plans. Stay tuned. Tom

Dave wrote: I seem to recall reading
of a home/shop-built arrangement consisting of a cable attached to the
router's plunge mechanism on one end and a crank wheel mounted to the
router table cabinet on the other. Does this sound familiar to
anyone? Any instructions/directions online?

Dave Wetmore

Something that worked well for me:

I bought a handle with a crank. I took the crank off the handle. I took a
1/4 socket of a diameter just a little larger than the inside of the handle.
I turned down the socket wall so the socket just fit in the handle. I brazed
the socket in the handle, square hole up. Now I've got a crank which is, in
essence, a 1/4 socket. Add a cheap driver handle, and you have a very
convenient (ratcheting) handle on the router.

Dave Wetmore