Rich

Default Building an extension table.

I picked up a deal on a older delta table saw a week ago without a fence. I
bought a mule accusquare for it.

Looking at setting it up and I am trying to figure out what to do about the
extension table. The question now is do I build my own or do I buy one.
Mule has one that will support a router for $129 including a router plate.
since I have really a small shop I plan to have this table do double duty.

My original plan was to build my own out of a sheet of mdf. But I have some
concerns.

My concerns were do I need additional bracing and how do I attach the mdf to
the table and does it make sense just to buy a table?

For attaching the mdf to the table... current there are two stamped metal
extensions bolted to the case iron table. This is easy to attach because
the extensions are hollow underneath. If I used mdf how would I attach the
mdf to the cast iron table and allow there to be some play to allow it to be
leveled? Do I need to fram it out with some kind of u shaped steel that
would allow me to screw the mdf to the steel and then to the table and allow
me to adjust it? If so where could I get something like this? This is my
biggest concern. I assume bolting the mdf to the fence only is not
suffecient and it should be attached to the cast iron?

Also is the regular laminate that they sell in sheets at HD ok to put on the
top to give it a smooth surface?

For the bracing.... I bougt a fence that is 10 inches to left of blade and
40 to the right. The delta table itself is real small, it came with two
extensions but they are not cast iron and looked kinda beat up. If I can I
would like to not even use them, I would rather just make the whole right of
blade section of of mdf. I guess it is about 30 inches. I would rather not
use extension legs at I have to roll the saw up a little hill in my basement
to put it where I will store it. Does a fence of this size need support?

Ths moble base cant not be easily converted to support extension table legs
plus even if it did I think this would be a problem with the un level floor
in my shop. IF I need bracing I was planing on going up from the side of
the mobile base to the edge of the extention table on a 45 degree angle with
some tube steel. I think this will be fine with the exception that it only
supports the table it does not keep the whole saw from tipping. To cover
that I would probable add some legs that fold up that I could put down just
when I was working to keep it from tipping. Is this a bad idea?

For the price.... does anyone have a extension table cheaper then $90 or one
with a router plate for less then $129?
Rich

Scott Brownell

Rich wrote:

[...]

$129 isn't a bad price for what you're getting, and consider that the
company that made your new fence is also the maker of the table..gotta
fit I would think. Sounds like you have the stamped steel wings on the
saw now, you can possibly switch those out for cast iron wings. I don't
own the Delta but if you'll post the model# some of the others in the
group might be of more help.

Scott
up later, the damage remains.
brian lanning

"Rich" wrote in message ...
Mule has one that will support a router for $129 including a router plate.
since I have really a small shop I plan to have this table do double duty.

You can make your own if you have the time. You'll save a little
money. I plan to create a much larger cabinet with drawers and an
integrated router and dust collection system, fold out extension
tables in the front and back, all on casters. That should allow me to
get away from the metal legs on the CS.

My original plan was to build my own out of a sheet of mdf. But I have some
concerns.
My concerns were do I need additional bracing and how do I attach the mdf to
the table and does it make sense just to buy a table?

The table that came with my delta CS was particle board with a formica
like veneer on both sides. not the greatest quality and certainly
something you could make. The main thing is that you don't want the
table to flex. it should remain flat. Some designes i've seen
laminate the table with multiple 3/4" sheets. You could just brace it
with something though.

snip about how to attach the table

You could drill the cast iron. For my TS project, the router top will
be part of a larger cabinet so I'm likely to have a leveling mechanism
for the table saw and not connect them. The rails for your fence may
have holes in them for the table. For mine, I think there's a back
rail so that the table is attached front to back, not left to right.

Also is the regular laminate that they sell in sheets at HD ok to put on the
top to give it a smooth surface?

That works but laminate both sides. I've never done it, but i hear
that it will warp if you only do one side. I'm using melamine.

Does a fence of this size need support?

Think about a large sheet of plywood and the center of gravity with
the fence all the way to the right. Maybe it's ok, maybe not. I
would support it. You could just stick a 2x4 under it when you need
the support.

Is this a bad idea?

I think you can get a new mobile base for not very much money. Or you
can do what i'm going to do so you don't need any of that.

For the price.... does anyone have a extension table cheaper then $90 or one
with a router plate for less then $129?

You can get a melamine 4x8 sheet from the borg for $40, maybe less and
an aluminum router plate from rockler for i think $30.

brian