Morris Dovey

Default Panel Saw seen beating crap out of Table Saw

Randy wrote:

Rockler has plans and a kit for one constructed from 80/20
rectangular t-slot tubing. Their kit is about $300, and about
another $150 for the wood etc required.

I've been accumulating bits and peices on ebay for about a
year now, and should be able to put one together this fall.
All told I think, I'll have about $300 in it when I'm done,
including a dedicated saw to use on it.

I'm guessing nobody else has made one, but if anyone has, do
you like it?

Randy...

Please keep us posted on your progress! I've been doing the same
and think (hope) I'm on about the same schedule. Those
off-the-shelf units that approach "affordable" seem to be
universally too short; and those that're long enough are too pricey.

I'm cutting a fair number of plywood sheets for solar heating
panels using the Lee Valley saw guide, which works well; but
isn't really well-suited to production use.

The Rockler plans/reprint look like a good starting point for a
new design; but I think I'll build with chrome-molly steel,
Delrin, UHMWPE, and stainless fasteners - and yes, I'm planning
to like it fairly well (-:

I built a sled for my TS (under influence of the wRECk) and have
been pondering incorporation of a lockable "panel sled" moving on
linear bearings into my design. It might make the darned thing a
lot easier to use...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA