George M. Kazaka

Default Is Usnet Dying?

HUH!!! Went right over my head
"Silvan" wrote in message
George M. Kazaka wrote:

When I came on here i actually joined a woodwork listserv, I was getting
all the e-mails from this group but when i posted no one got them, I

never
found out where they went
I still do not understand how this newsgroup goes to the listserv but it
is based in Indianna.

You were getting *posts* from this group. Slight difference.

It's pretty common for it to run the other way. There's a linux kernel
newsgroup that echoes the contents of the mailing list, but posts to the
newsgroup do not go to the list. What you're seeing is the same thing in
reverse. They doubtless set it up that way on purpose, and nothing is
broken.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

McQualude

Tom Watson said:

Why this attitude by the ISP's?

Usenet is used by only a small percentage of total internet users.
The binary groups consume a majority of an ISP's bandwidth, hence
they begrudgingly support them.
--
McQualude
tom

It depends on the ISP's implementation of the usenet/newsgroup
protocols. If the ISP is trying to run news servers the update and
transmission can be a major problem, Some of the Midsized and smaller
ISP's use a passthru service. Supernews is both a usenet repository,and
a ISP passthru provider. I believe Google also provides the service but
is not as fast on posts. It takes less technical knowledge to provide
passthru service, Just a couple of entries in the DNS. To figure out if
your ISP is providing passthru or local news service do a "Ping" on the
newsserver name. It will show if the server is inhouse or a passthru.
in Tom's case it seems they are trying to run it in house.

Tom

Tom Watson wrote:
I read someone's comment the other day about how their ISP claimed
that "no one uses newsgroups anymore."

My own ISP has made the same comment to me when I've called to
complain about inadequate Newsgroup service. They seem to feel that
their customer base uses Usenet in only a marginal fashion. They act
as though they couldn't be bothered.

This newsgroup, in particular, seems to be vibrant and well
subscribed. The chess newgroups that I lurk on seem to be in the same
condition.

When I look at the Netscan statistics, I see signs that there are many
active groups.

Why this attitude by the ISP's?

I use two newsgroup providers, TeraNews being my backup, because my
ISP's provider is often out of whack. TeraNews is fine for a backup
but is often down.

However, I've had complaints from some that they don't see my posts
when they come through my ISP's provider (Voicenet, I believe) because
their system does not pick up the posts.

I've tried reading the group through Google but it seems to have a lot
of lag time between the time that posts are made and when they show up
on Google.

What is going on with this Usenet thing? Are the ISP's right in
claiming that Usenet is dying? And, given that the ISP's don't care,
what is the most reliable way to read and post on Usenet?

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson

Keith Carlson

"Swingman" wrote in message
news.com...
The format of UseNet is what is so attractive to me ... I just like using

my
e-mail client to participate and never cared a tinker's damn for web based
forums.

However, I participated in an e-book forum for a number of years using a
list server and it was almost like being on UseNet, as the _comfort_ of

your
e-mail client was preserved.

I would not be adverse to trying it again.

I wonder how many don't care for web forums? One big advantage would be to
have a moderated forum. Be able to block random posters by requiring
registration, and being able to step in when a thread gets out of hand.

Usenet still has its place. IIRC, the original reason for Usenet was to give
a forum for open expression, especially for politics and other controversial
subjects.

Hard to see how a woodworking group needs that freedom of expression,
though.

Silvan

Larry Jaques wrote:

Switch ISPs, then stick with a good one.

I'll agree to that last point in particular. I've seen'em come, and I've
seen'em go. Dad changes ISPs more often than I change shoes, always trying
to find the best deal. I've had the same ISP for 10 years.

One reason I haven't taken the plunge into cable is because I'd not only be
paying way more than seems reasonable, but I'd also be trading my dead
reliable local provider for a big name conglomerate that isn't even sure if
it will ever emerge from bankruptcy.

Hell, I do banking the same way. My bank doesn't do ATMs or debit cards or
any of that other fancy ****, but I've been dealing with the same bank for
15 years. Just about every other bank in town has been bought by some
national conglomerate in that time.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Keith Carlson wrote:

I wonder how many don't care for web forums? One big advantage would be to

I hate web forums. For one thing, you have to either type in an editor and
then copy/paste onto the form, or else use the crappy editor built into the
form. That's probably my #1 reason for hating all such things web-based.

have a moderated forum. Be able to block random posters by requiring
registration, and being able to step in when a thread gets out of hand.

Hard to see how a woodworking group needs that freedom of expression,
though.

I'm sure there's probably a moderated woodworking forum out there somewhere
if you really want one.

Personally, I hate moderation. I wouldn't live in a gated community, or one
where there was a homeowner's association either. One of my neighbors lets
his grass grow so high he has to bush hog it every second year, but so the
hell what? I don't get to tell him to mow it, and he doesn't get to tell
me what color I can paint my shed, or how large my mailbox is allowed to
be. Suits me just fine.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

CW wrote:

You got lucky with the bank. I've been with one for 23 years. They've
changed names 4 times.

I guess they're not big enough to be attractive to any of the mega corps.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Mark

Keith Carlson wrote:

I wonder how many don't care for web forums? One big advantage would be to
have a moderated forum. Be able to block random posters by requiring
registration, and being able to step in when a thread gets out of hand.

I'm on a very active Web forum. StangNet.com

For me the most attractive part of the forum system use to be the
ability to edit a post.

I started when the EDU account would only run mail and usenet. A browser
could be made to work with a bit of effort. Wasn't worth it on a 286.
Had a Compuserve account when it meant something.

Got a better computer, found a mail list I'm still a member of. Other
lists came and went. Found some forums. Only go to 2 or 3.

And I'm back on Usenet. Something about plane text and links that's elegant.

No Dancing Cars rims and tires. Though mail programs have these
damned things in them.

I think news groups can be easier to read. Definitely easier to archive.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

George

Spoken like an urban type. For some, there is a single choice. Or pay
distance charges.

The answer, as I see it, is the demographic with the money to spend, and the
place where you can put advertising are the winners, a bunch of old BBS and
FidoFolks are soon to be losers. The trend favors the Napster-type format
or the forums like Woodcentral, where the ads flow freely.

You think any of the kids understand the Windows modem icon? I remember my
300 had the top molded to mate comfortably with a standard desk set, as
pictured. None of the kids I asked had any idea that telephones used to
connect in line with modems, or that there were handset types with receiver
cups. Probably antiques for sale on e-bay.

Come to think of it, I think I may still have that UDS 300 downstairs....

"Silvan" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:

Switch ISPs, then stick with a good one.

I'll agree to that last point in particular. I've seen'em come, and I've
seen'em go. Dad changes ISPs more often than I change shoes, always

trying
to find the best deal. I've had the same ISP for 10 years.

One reason I haven't taken the plunge into cable is because I'd not only

be
paying way more than seems reasonable, but I'd also be trading my dead
reliable local provider for a big name conglomerate that isn't even sure

if
it will ever emerge from bankruptcy.

George Gibeau

Tom,

I teach in the Networking Technologies department at the local community
college - this semester I am teaching 3 sections of an Intro to Networking
Basics course - just last week I was teaching a section on TCP/IP and its
related sub-protocols - and as part of that lecture I was talking about
NNTP - in all 3 classes I asked who knew what NNTP was - I got 50+ blank
stares over the course of the day. Having explained what NNTP is, I then
asked who used Newsgroups - and again got the blank 1000 yard stare. Man
did I feel old - especially when I explained to them that you used to get
your news by telnetting into a mainframe and just typing News ;-). I then
took about 15 minutes and gave them a brief demo of at least reading news
with Google as well as setting up Outlook Express (and talking about
dedicated newsreaders). Not sure how many converts I made, but I was
shocked to see no one was using this great resource. (But then again, most
of these kids don't even know how to get around in DOS ;-))

-George-

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

David Babcock wrote:
Unfortunately the first response is pretty valid. Having been in the IT
field for over 25 years and having worked for a few ISP's, I can say most
ISP's don't want to expend the capital to support a small client base. The
younger people, and a lot of uniformed people use chat rooms for similar
information sharing (among other uses) Guess we're just dinosaurs........and
I remember dialing into a BBS (bulletin board service) ........so there
won't be any guessing what BBS means!

My first computer/modem was a Monroe 220 with a 110 coupler doing a
timeshare with Great Lakes Naval. Or an old Morrow if you want to talk
PCs that were store bought not homebrew. As for BBSs I ran RBBS and
Wildcat, the others were too clunky to be fun. And now my wife
complains when her T-1 is slow. How times change.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Tom Watson

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 03:51:48 GMT, Larry Jaques
wrote:

That's absolutely false. Hell, you _alone_ have responded to
at least 50 trolls on this group this month. Your 1/2 dozen
troll-responding buddies did the same. glare

Why would anyone ask for a moderated forum when we have you, Larry?

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
Swingman

There goes that old "perspective" again. There was something very satisfying
in one of the old text based Adventure games, where the graphics were in
_your_ mind and imagination, instead of the incessant on-screen flash, whiz,
bang, of the ADD generation(s).

Of course, a prerequisite to enjoyment was a mind richly prepared by reading
and education, a commodity currently in short supply.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"George" wrote in message

The answer, as I see it, is the demographic with the money to spend, and

the
place where you can put advertising are the winners, a bunch of old BBS

and
FidoFolks are soon to be losers. The trend favors the Napster-type format
or the forums like Woodcentral, where the ads flow freely.

You think any of the kids understand the Windows modem icon? I remember

my
300 had the top molded to mate comfortably with a standard desk set, as
pictured. None of the kids I asked had any idea that telephones used to
connect in line with modems, or that there were handset types with

receiver
cups. Probably antiques for sale on e-bay.

Come to think of it, I think I may still have that UDS 300 downstairs....

Silvan

George wrote:

Spoken like an urban type. For some, there is a single choice. Or pay
distance charges.

An urban type... That's sort of funny.

I guess comparatively speaking, maybe, but I wouldn't characterize this as
an urban area.

I think the main factor here is that we got into technology early.
Supposedly the Blacksburg Electronic Village project was the very first one
to open the doors of the internet to the general public. After a couple
years of state-sponsored $6 internet, they talked a pair of companies into
starting ISPs, and kicked all the non-university types off the BEV.

We had ISPs back in 1993, and I don't think very many places did back then.
Definitely not many (or not any) places as rural in nature as this one.
(I'm still with the same ISP I signed up with after getting kicked off the
BEV, incidentally. My first provider was Radford University, then the BEV,
and then these guys for the past 10 or so years.)

You think any of the kids understand the Windows modem icon? I remember
my 300 had the top molded to mate comfortably with a standard desk set, as

Sounds like you'd lump me in with the "kids." So yes, I do. We had one of
those things when I was a wee lad, but I never used it for much. When I
got into BBSing in about middle school, it was via a PC with an internal
1200 baud modem. Dad used the 300 baud acoustic coupler deal for work,
from a Heathkit dumb terminal.

He might still have it. Should I try to sell it on eBay?

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Lee Gordon

George ...

Not sure how many converts I made, but I was
shocked to see no one was using this great resource. (But then again, most
of these kids don't even know how to get around in DOS ;-))

It won't be too long before you'll be getting rooms full of kids who've
never heard of DOS. g

Lee

Silvan

George Gibeau wrote:

shocked to see no one was using this great resource. (But then again, most
of these kids don't even know how to get around in DOS ;-))

Good riddance to DOS anyway. I used to love DOS, but then I discovered
Linux. Bash kicks ass! I can't stand to be at a DOS prompt anymore.

(Of course, I'm not one of those people who's helpless without the pointy
clickie thingie working. I've just graduated to a *real* command line
interface.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Swingman

Or 'Pirates', on the TI ... before the PC came along.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"solarman" wrote in message
Like Tradewars? I spent way too many hours playing that one...

Charlie Self

Silvan writes:

Spoken like an urban type. For some, there is a single choice. Or pay
distance charges.

An urban type... That's sort of funny.

I guess comparatively speaking, maybe, but I wouldn't characterize this as
an urban area.

Oh, I dunno. Except I did get a good whiff of the barns as I ran the bypass
this morning.

Compared to my area of Bedford, you're urban. Compared to Bedford service,
you're urban. It's going to cost me $99 a month for a damned satellite hook-up,
which essentially means I'm staying with a phone modem for the foreseeable
future unless I hit the lottery.

He might still have it. Should I try to sell it on eBay?

Hey, especially if you've got the box. All kidding aside, but it on with NR,
but a 10 buck starting bid and see what happens.

Charlie Self

"I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself. "
Ronald Reagan

edfan

Tom Watson wrote in message ws.com...
I read someone's comment the other day about how their ISP claimed
that "no one uses newsgroups anymore."

My own ISP has made the same comment to me when I've called to
complain about inadequate Newsgroup service. They seem to feel that
their customer base uses Usenet in only a marginal fashion. They act
as though they couldn't be bothered.

I think so many newsgroups have been taken over by spammers and
hatemongers, it's tough to waste so much time wading through the muck.
This newsgroup has been better than average but there are dozens of
others that have succumbed. Everywhere you go, it's porn, spam, get
rich quick schemes, JUNK. It's not hard to understand why users have
been leaving in droves.

There are serious implications if this continues in the trend
direction. Not one newsgroup in my memory has ever recovered once it
was thoroughly spammed for more than a month or two. Some newsgroups
have been taken over by the folks who spammed it to death. Maybe
that's cheaper than starting up a new group.
George

No, I mean kids. The high-schoolers who, according to popular notions have
to teach their elders how to use technology, but in reality know only GUIs,
and in some cases don't even realize that the toolbars are common across
many programs, but instead keep bashing about, locking up machines.

As to e-bay, wait until I try to peddle Motorola's former pride(300/1200),
and I'll let you know....

"Silvan" wrote in message
George wrote:

You think any of the kids understand the Windows modem icon? I remember
my 300 had the top molded to mate comfortably with a standard desk set,

as

Sounds like you'd lump me in with the "kids." So yes, I do. We had one

of
those things when I was a wee lad, but I never used it for much. When I
got into BBSing in about middle school, it was via a PC with an internal
1200 baud modem. Dad used the 300 baud acoustic coupler deal for work,
from a Heathkit dumb terminal.

He might still have it. Should I try to sell it on eBay?

Swingman

The first Adventure game I saw was even before the TI-994A, on a mainframe
in college, so the TI 99/4a added fuel to a fire that was already burning:

"You are on a beach as the sun rises to light the day. To your North, along
the water's edge as the morning tide recedes, is what appears to be the
mouth of a cave . At your feet is a bag of flares, an axe, a map, and a
knife. You can only carry three of these items. Grab axe ... "Can't 'grab'".
Take axe. To the South is a ......."

I sold my 99/4a for $250 at a garage sale in the late 80's, including the GE
Cassette "hard drive". It was fully functional. May regret doing that one of
these days. Learned the intricacies of assembly language, and Introduced my
first daughter to the computing world with the kid's OS, "Turtle".

.... how time flies. Time to start using a calendar instead of a watch.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:49:10 GMT, wrote:

Or 'Pirates', on the TI ... before the PC came along.

I still have my original TI-99/4a and almost every piece of software ever
issued for it, EXCEPT the Milton Bradley EU that allowed voice controlled
games.
Yep voice controlled games over 20 years ago.

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:29:29 GMT, Nova
wrote:

My next door neighbor works "network tech support" (internal to the
company) for Adelphia Cable. Prior to me showing him what "UseNet" was,
he didn't even know it existed. I suspect it is the same with many of the
"kids" working for various ISP's.

I'd agree with that.

I was an admin for a large, phone company owned, ISP from 1996-2000.
Back then, I was one of the few employees that actually used Usenet.

Our official policy was that it was not an advertised or premium
service. Very little money and effort was put forth on Usenet, and
our help desk probably didn't know what it was.

Barry

Scott Lurndal

"solarman" writes:
UGlwICYgc3RhdCB3ZXJlIHRoZSB3b3JkcyBvZiB0aGUgZGF5I HRoZW4uLi4uIEJpbGwgR2F0ZXMg
d2FzIHN0aWxsIHdldCBiZWhpbmQgdGhlIGVhcnMuLi4NCg0KD QoiVG9tIFdhdHNvbiIgPHRqd2F0
c29uQENMVUVUT0tFTi5zbmlwLm5ldD4gd3JvdGUgaW4gbWVzc 2FnZSBuZXdzOmI1NzFlNTU4YTVi
MzIzMzY3YWJlODEzZmNiZjk5NWZhQG5ld3MudGVyYW5ld3MuY 29tLi4uDQo+IE9uIFNhdCwgMjIg
Tm92IDIwMDMgMjA6NDQ6NTUgLTA1MDAsICJzb2xhcm1hbiINC j4gPHNhbGVzdGVybWl0ZUBsZWFk
ZXJzYnlleGFtcGxlLmNvbT4gd3JvdGU6DQo+IA0KPiA+SSByZ W1lbWJlci4uLi4uIFhlcm94IDgy
MC1JSSBDUE0gbWFjaGluZS4uLiBBaC4uIG5vdyB0aGVtIHdhc yB0aGUgZGF5cyENCj4gDQo+IE1p
bmUgd2VyZSBhIFRlbGV2aWRlbyBDUG0sIG1pdCBEb2xsaWVzI Ch0d2luIGZsb3BwaWVzKS4NCj4g
DQo+IEhhcmQgZHJpdmVzIGtlcHQgaW4gYWlyIGNvbmRpdGlvb mVkIGx1eHVyeSBieSBmb2xrcyBm
YXIgcmljaGVyIHRoYW4gaQ0KPiANCj4gSSBkaW5uYSBtaXNzI HRoYXQgV29yZHN0YXIgdi4xDQo+
IA0KPiBBbHRobyBJIHdhcyBzbWl0dGVuIGJ5IHN1Y2ggdGVzd G9uZXJvbmljIGNvbW1hbmRzIGFz
DQo+IA0KPiAnZ2xvYmFsIHNlYXJjaCBhbmQgZGVzdHJveScNC j4gDQo+IHllIGdhZHoNCj4gDQo+
IA0KPiBSZWdhcmRzLCBUb20NCj4gVGhvbWFzIEouIFdhdHNvb i1DYWJpbmV0bWFrZXINCj4gR3Vs
cGggTWlsbHMsIFBlbm5zeWx2YW5pYQ0KPiBodHRwOi8vdXNlc nMuc25pcC5uZXQvfnRqd2F0c29u

Hey solar man. Fix your newsreader. You're illegible to us unix types.
Scott Lurndal

Larry Blanchard writes:
In article ,
says...
aHR0cDovL3dlYi5hcmNoaXZlLm9yZy93ZWIvMTk5NjEwMTkyMj E5MjEvaHR0cDovL3d3dy5ib2Fy
ZHdhdGNoLmNvbS8NCg0KDQoiVG9tIFdhdHNvbiIgPHRqd2F0c2 9uQENMVUVUT0tFTi5zbmlwLm5l
dD4gd3JvdGUgaW4gbWVzc2FnZSBuZXdzOmVhZjRmMDkyNTg4Nz k1NjZjNzdjMTYyM2ZkYmQ3YzA4

snip

Why am I getting this? It seems from the replies that others are getting
readable text. Is this some format that Gravity doesn't support?

More microsoft idiocy.

Base64-encoding ISO-8859-1 (standard Latin of which USASCII is a
subset) text.

HDR Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
HDR Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
HDR X-Priority: 3
HDR X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
HDR X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158
HDR X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165

In particular, note the Content-Tranfer-Encoding. Stupid microsoft.

scott

Wayne SIKORSKI

[...]

Hi Tom,

The "Techs" from SNiP have said the same thing to me many times, I am one of
the "few" usenet users on their system.

The Voicenet server seems to be working better than when they attempted to
host their own servers. I currently use a free news server out of Berlin,
Germany. They are strictly a text server and do not carry binary newsgroups.
http://news.cis.dfn.de/

Wayne

Mark Jerde

Mark Jerde wrote:

How much of the problem is that all the newsreads I'm familar with

Grrrr.... For "newsreads" read "newsreaders"

-- Mark

Mark Jerde

Tom Watson wrote:

What is going on with this Usenet thing? Are the ISP's right in
claiming that Usenet is dying? And, given that the ISP's don't care,
what is the most reliable way to read and post on Usenet?

How much of the problem is that all the newsreads I'm familar with a
- Somewhat feature-free.
- Hard to set up.

Perhaps a newsreader as easy to use as MS Word, that handled:
- Deleting obvious porn.
- Synchronized input from multiple news servers.
- On the user's choice, deleted all multi posts
would be successful, and would help increase the popularity of newsgroups.

Going to HTML format by default may help too... g

-- Mark

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 13:46:44 GMT, "George Gibeau"
brought forth from the murky depths:

Tom,

I teach in the Networking Technologies department at the local community
college - this semester I am teaching 3 sections of an Intro to Networking

-snip-
shocked to see no one was using this great resource. (But then again, most
of these kids don't even know how to get around in DOS ;-))

I remember teaching the local Marines how NOT to use
WordimPerfect to edit their config.sys and autoexec.bat
files. Hell, I remember back when an operating system
fit on a single-sided 5-1/4" floppy. (Dad's Kaypro w/ CPM)
Ask your kids about those for a laugh.

Usenet is the second (if not top) most valuable resource on
the Internet. Search Engines and their access are top. But
if you need a question about ANYTHING answered in a matter
of minutes, Usenet comes through every time. And most of the
answers are somewhat right, too! =:0

Stain and Poly are their own punishment
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 14:31:02 GMT, Tom Watson

wrote:

That's absolutely false. Hell, you _alone_ have responded to
at least 50 trolls on this group this month. Your 1/2 dozen
troll-responding buddies did the same. glare

Why would anyone ask for a moderated forum when we have you, Larry?

And sit up straight, boy. What a posture!

Stain and Poly are their own punishment
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
Charlie Self

Larry Jaques writes:

-snip-
shocked to see no one was using this great resource. (But then again, most
of these kids don't even know how to get around in DOS ;-))

I remember teaching the local Marines how NOT to use
WordimPerfect to edit their config.sys and autoexec.bat
files. Hell, I remember back when an operating system
fit on a single-sided 5-1/4" floppy. (Dad's Kaypro w/ CPM)
Ask your kids about those for a laugh.

Dad's KayPro? Had my own KayPro, thanks. Loved that thing, but didn't love
WordPerfect on it, so I used WordStar, after I had trouble with Perfect Writer.
Both just about totally vanished from ANY scene now.

Charlie Self

"Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the
frog dies of it." E. B. White