Mark

Default Is Usnet Dying?

Larry Jaques wrote:

I saw Keith Emerson spinning and playing 8' off the stage
wilst strapped to a piano bench and an electric grand piano
(or was that the MOOG?) at the Cal Jam. THE Cal Jam, not some
second string later concert. We were close enough to center
of the infield that the QUAD sound system worked.
/dating myself

I think I saw that on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. ??

That had to have been over thirty years ago.

There's been some good music composed after the 18th century. Just not a
whole lot recently.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

Conan the Librarian

Larry Jaques wrote in message . ..

I saw Keith Emerson spinning and playing 8' off the stage
wilst strapped to a piano bench and an electric grand piano
(or was that the MOOG?) at the Cal Jam. THE Cal Jam, not some
second string later concert. We were close enough to center
of the infield that the QUAD sound system worked.
/dating myself

Ahem. First of all, it's bad form to date yourself, but I guess if
no one else will do it. As for ELP, I saw them play in what I'm
guessing was the same tour (around the time of the release of Brain
Salad Surgery). Quad sound and Emerson was playing what looked like a
cross between a giant B-3 and something from Phantom of the Opera.
(Or was that the drugs?)

They were right in the middle of Take A Pebble (and it's about a 12
minute song on the album, and much longer live) when the cops pulled
the plug and turned all the lights on. It seems they were trying to
enforce a no-smoking ban and some of the crowd wasn't cooperating.
*cough*

While the law officer was waddling offstage, Emerson started into
something that sounded strangely like keystone cops music. He then
proceeded to re-start Take A Pebble from the beginning and this time
there were no interruptions.

IIRC, they closed the show with Karn Evil ("come see the show",
etc.) and he ended it with the effects on the quad system going
full-tilt-boogie from corner to corner of the auditorium while the
synthesizer went up in smoke. (Or was that the drugs?)

A couple of years ago I dug out a bunch of old ELP stuff, and when
I put it on I was struck by how pretentious, overbearing and pompous
it was. In other words, it sounded as good as ever.

Chuck Vance
Just say (tmPL) God, those were the days. (Or was that the
drugs?)
Scott Cramer

On 12 Dec 2003, Conan the Librarian spake unto rec.woodworking:

A couple of years ago I dug out a bunch of old ELP stuff, and when
I put it on I was struck by how pretentious, overbearing and pompous
it was. In other words, it sounded as good as ever.

Amen to that. I lived in north Jersey during my high school years,
half an hour from New York City. Got to see lots of great shows at Madison
Square Garden and the Capitol Theater in Passaic - Jethro Tull, Allman
Bros., Frank Zappa & the Mothers, and speaking of pompous and pretentious,
Yes. Rick Wakeman wasn't quite as bombastic as Keith Emerson, but he
wasn't any slouch, either.

The most memorable - this was the late sixties to mid 70's, mind you,
so 'memorable' is relative - was a Pink Floyd concert on the 4th of July at
the Garden. It was the 'Animals' tour, we had seats on the floor about 12
rows from the stage, dead center. They played most of 'Wish You Were Here'
and some of 'Dark Side of the Moon' in addition to 'Animals.' At one point
some idiots in the nosebleed seats started tossing firecrackers off the
balconies (it being the 4th of July, after all) and Roger Waters got
seriously ticked off and interrupted the show, telling the malefactors to
"sod off." The crowd went wild, and the nonsense stopped.

Today's synthetic pop crap and rap "music" can't hold a candle, never
mind 20,000 Bic lighters, to those days.
Silvan

Larry Jaques wrote:

Very hard to choose, but probably a tie between "Obscured
by Clouds" and "Dark Side of the Moon".

I like DSotM a good bit too, but it just doesn't do quite as much for me as
some of their other albums. Probably because I never have learned to love
"the Great Gag in the Sky" (That's a joke, Larry... Gag, as in horking,
ralphing, spewing... I hate that song. Which probably means you think
it's the best part of the whole album.

Favorite songs: Free Four, Childhood's End, Fearless,
Wish You Were Here, Several Species of Small Furry Animals
Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict, Time,
Breathe, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, (their early stuff)

Add "Julia Dream" and "That Fat Old Sun" to that list.

I like "The Wall" but not as much as most people do, and anything after that
is crap.

Of course, I liked Zappa and King Crimson, too.

Titties and beer... What was that, "Baby Snakes?"

Barfing Pumpkin Records I think... Wow, it's been a long time. I'm not a
Zappa fan, but my best friend growing up adored him.

I guess I'd have to say mine is "Wish You Were Here," but it's not out
front by much.

EXCELLENT song.

One of the few "real" songs I can play on the guitar too. I seldom try to
play other people's music, so most people think I "can't play anything"
until I break that one out.

SWMBO's bedtime song too. I've been playing that every night for her for
years now.

Actually, there were two or three good disco songs.

No comment. gag, kaff, choke

Well, come on, I grew up listening to the BeeGees. Mom was a big fan. Some
of it rubbed off.

good country song. Rap/hip hop is the musical equivalent of bird cage
lining.

Ah, you betcha.

"Ka ka kaoum ba, wheeeee-eeeee.", brother.

I thought it was just "ba BUZZ BUZZ thump BUZZ thump mothaFUKKA" repeated
for ad nauseam, with brief bits of sampled James Brown stuck in for
variety.

(Now, James Brown makes me want to say it loud that I'm black and I'm proud
and get up offa that thang and I feel good. James Brown rocks, ba ba ba ba
bum, yeah. It's not because I'm a white guy that I don't like rap.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 21:25:16 -0500, Silvan
brought forth from the murky depths:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Very hard to choose, but probably a tie between "Obscured
by Clouds" and "Dark Side of the Moon".

I like DSotM a good bit too, but it just doesn't do quite as much for me as
some of their other albums. Probably because I never have learned to love
"the Great Gag in the Sky" (That's a joke, Larry... Gag, as in horking,
ralphing, spewing... I hate that song. Which probably means you think
it's the best part of the whole album.

You mean the black vocalists in the background with the
full range of voice routine? Gags me, too.

Add "Julia Dream" and "That Fat Old Sun" to that list.

I don't recall either, FWIW.

I like "The Wall" but not as much as most people do, and anything after that
is crap.

Agreed. The Wall was fun, but...

Of course, I liked Zappa and King Crimson, too.

Titties and beer... What was that, "Baby Snakes?"

The technical excellence that was his band on Hot Rats.
(which one of my sister's friends left after a party and
never came back to get.

"I'm a little pimp with my hair gassed back."

One of the few "real" songs I can play on the guitar too. I seldom try to
play other people's music, so most people think I "can't play anything"
until I break that one out.

I just picked up a violin and will be swinging cats shortly.
I've always loved Jean Luc Ponty and about any electric fiddle
or violin music. Wish me luck. (Oh, 'twas $26 on *b*y.)

Actually, there were two or three good disco songs.

No comment. gag, kaff, choke

Well, come on, I grew up listening to the BeeGees. Mom was a big fan. Some
of it rubbed off.

And some folks learn to beat women from their fathers.
Neither, in my definite opinion, is good, right, or fair.

(Now, James Brown makes me want to say it loud that I'm black and I'm proud
and get up offa that thang and I feel good. James Brown rocks, ba ba ba ba
bum, yeah. It's not because I'm a white guy that I don't like rap.)

I'm not fond of screamers, no matter what race or gender, thanks.
But if you and he feels good, fine. Just don't make me listen to
any of it. (or Christmas music, R&B, disco, or rap)

(Oops, better add my violin practice to that. Got plugs & muffs?)

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Frank Shute

Larry Jaques wrote:

Very hard to choose, but probably a tie between "Obscured
by Clouds" and "Dark Side of the Moon".

I like DSotM a good bit too, but it just doesn't do quite as much for me as
some of their other albums. Probably because I never have learned to love
"the Great Gag in the Sky" (That's a joke, Larry... Gag, as in horking,
ralphing, spewing... I hate that song. Which probably means you think
it's the best part of the whole album.

You mean the black vocalists in the background with the
full range of voice routine? Gags me, too.

The "black vocalist" was a white girl: Clare Torry. Yes, I'm another
Floyd anorak Saw them at Knebworth circa 1975.

About the only modern band I listen to nowadays is Blur, most of the
rest is overpriced effluent. Record sales going down because of
piracy? I think not.

snip

--

Frank

Silvan

Frank Shute wrote:

About the only modern band I listen to nowadays is Blur, most of the
rest is overpriced effluent. Record sales going down because of
piracy? I think not.

Yeah, seriously. I don't even go to record stores anymore. What's the
point? While there's some stuff there I wouldn't mind having, it's a
matter of buying an entire CD for one mildly interesting song, and the
cheap CDs are $25 now. I don't have money to **** away like that.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Roy Smith

Usenet has been dying for 20 years. I expect it will continue to die
for the next 20 years.
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:06:08 -0500, Silvan

Frank Shute wrote:

About the only modern band I listen to nowadays is Blur, most of the
rest is overpriced effluent. Record sales going down because of
piracy? I think not.

(Sorry, Frank, but I'm not with you on Blur having just listened
to the first 6 samples from their 'Best Of' CD.)

Yeah, seriously. I don't even go to record stores anymore. What's the
point? While there's some stuff there I wouldn't mind having, it's a
matter of buying an entire CD for one mildly interesting song, and the
cheap CDs are $25 now. I don't have money to **** away like that.

Go to www.cheap-cds.com and get all the old stuff for under ten bucks.
(Up until this year when they upped their shipping rates, their
handling rates, and the CD prices.) But they're still the best deal
in^H^Hout of town now that they get $3 more per title, the greedy
bastids.(either at Cheap or distributors)

---
- Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. -
http://diversify.com Web Applications

Frank Shute

Frank Shute wrote:

About the only modern band I listen to nowadays is Blur, most of the
rest is overpriced effluent. Record sales going down because of
piracy? I think not.

(Sorry, Frank, but I'm not with you on Blur having just listened
to the first 6 samples from their 'Best Of' CD.)

Not to worry....they're an acquired taste! I was going to mention that
I quite liked `Great Gig in the Sky' but I thought better of it

With regards the original question `Is Usenet Dying?' No. I've seen
other groups undergo troll attacks like this group recently
experienced; eventually the trolls get bored (like the one on this
group seems to have done) and some semblance of sanity returns.
Filters are essential though.

Whilst people keep on reading news the ISPs will support it. A full
feed sucks up a frightening amount of bandwidth/storage but
bandwidth/storage prices are falling and as far as I'm concerned I
wouldn't consider using an ISP that didn't offer netnews.

We're in a small minority of 'net users but you have to remember that
most of the techs at ISPs really need to read Usenet in order to do
their jobs, since that's the case it's then trivial to give your
customers access to your news server.

--

Frank

Silvan

Larry Jaques wrote:

Go to www.cheap-cds.com and get all the old stuff for under ten bucks.

Hrm... Under ten bucks sounds good.

(Up until this year when they upped their shipping rates, their
handling rates, and the CD prices.) But they're still the best deal
in^H^Hout of town now that they get $3 more per title, the greedy
bastids.(either at Cheap or distributors)

Oh.