Frank Shute

Default Is Usnet Dying?

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 05:01:40 GMT, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:06:08 -0500, Silvan
brought forth from the murky depths:

Frank Shute wrote:

About the only modern band I listen to nowadays is Blur, most of the
rest is overpriced effluent. Record sales going down because of
piracy? I think not.

(Sorry, Frank, but I'm not with you on Blur having just listened
to the first 6 samples from their 'Best Of' CD.)

Not to worry....they're an acquired taste! I was going to mention that
I quite liked `Great Gig in the Sky' but I thought better of it

With regards the original question `Is Usenet Dying?' No. I've seen
other groups undergo troll attacks like this group recently
experienced; eventually the trolls get bored (like the one on this
group seems to have done) and some semblance of sanity returns.
Filters are essential though.

Whilst people keep on reading news the ISPs will support it. A full
feed sucks up a frightening amount of bandwidth/storage but
bandwidth/storage prices are falling and as far as I'm concerned I
wouldn't consider using an ISP that didn't offer netnews.

We're in a small minority of 'net users but you have to remember that
most of the techs at ISPs really need to read Usenet in order to do
their jobs, since that's the case it's then trivial to give your
customers access to your news server.

--

Frank