Charlie Self

Default Is Usnet Dying?

Silvan writes:

I guess that's it right there. Working on my car used to be an end unto
itself. Something I *did* for fun. Now it's something I *have* to do,
that robs me of time spent doing something else.

Yeah. I can remember doing a lot of work on my old Studebaker because I had to,
but it was also fun. I enjoyed hell out of ripping into my new '57
Chevy...until it came time to tune those dual 4 barrels. Went screaming to my
old man for help then.

But now, I don't even like to check the oil. What a difference a *few* years
can make!

Charlie Self

"Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the
pleasant fact that there are only ten of them." H. L. Mencken

Silvan

Mark Jerde wrote:

I'm not saying these ideas are any good. Just agreeing with the late Earl
Nightengale that you can come up with at least one idea that can change
your life for the better.

None of your ideas are bad per se, but they're variations on themes I've
pondered many times before. All I can really say is that I don't see
anything language-related in my future, for any of myriad reasons. A
decade ago, it might have been different, but I'm not the same person I was
then. The skills and the interest are both long cold.

When I no longer have to drive a truck to stave off bankruptcy, and can
weather a pay cut, I'll probably move into a different job with the same
employer. I'm already lining something up. I like my employer a great
deal; just not my job. The main reason I'm reaching a point where I can no
longer tolerate my job is because standing on an accelerator 10 hours a day
is ruining my knee.

Transferring to new job at the same place is a very practical, pragmatic,
mature dream. I keep my years of service, vacation, 401(k), profit
sharing, etc. These things are more important to me at this stage of life
than *what* I do for a living. I'd like to have a rewarding, fulfilling
career, but nothing I would *like* to do is capable of delivering a
regular, uninterrupted, absolutely dependable stream of income. The
mortgage company doesn't give a damn whether or not I'm content in my work;
they just want the house payment on time.

That, or I win the lottery and pay off the house. Then I have lots of
options.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Brian Henderson

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 03:05:56 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

You were calling the wrong places, mayhap. These people are local, and
they're Chinese. They have really good prices. I think maybe they get
good deals from the manufacturers because they speak Chinese fluently.

Half these places were the Chinese guys and they were still
overcharging. Their retail markup must be ridiculous, plus they were
trying to charge $75 an hour for labor.

Not better, not worse. I can do a brake job. Take an afternoon and get
greasy, rip open a few knuckles, make a big mess on my driveway, and not
have any time left over to do anything fun.

If you know what you're doing, there's no mess and no ripped knuckles.
A socket set, a pair of long-nose pliers and brake parts and you're
done in an hour. No muss, no fuss.
Silvan

Luigi Zanasi wrote:

The only thing that bug's me more than people who don't know how to use
apostrophe's are people who put accents where they don't belong to make

^^^^^!!!!
Isn't there a fundamental law of the universe stating that any usenet
post complaining about or correcting spelling and grammatical mistakes
will have spelling and/or grammar errors? :-)

Is your irony detector broken?

I agree with you. My pet peeve is that dishwatery Seattle imitation of
real caffè latte (in Italian) or café au lait (in French), the so
called "Latté". Latte means milk, not coffee, and takes no accent.

I never thought about that. Of course, I don't know Italian. I can only
fake it a little.

There is no longer any excuse with the multitude of language
dictionaries on the web to misspell foreign words.

Nope.

Here's a business idea for you, Silvan. Offer your services as an
editor at the multitude of French and Spanish web sites with horrible
English translations. For relatively benign examples, go see:

Hmmmm... That's a good angle to think about. Translations into one's
native tongue are always fundamentally better.

Manuals". BTW, "Adieu" is one word. ;-)

Is it?

Yup. It is. Did it used to be two words, the way "today" used to be
spelled with a hypen?

Oh well. I freely admit my French sucks anyway. French never has been my
language. I only studied it because it was the only other offering at my
high school, and once I had it, I just continued. My accent is pretty
wretched too. I never have been able to get the vowels right.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

But now, I don't even like to check the oil. What a difference a *few*
years can make!

Yeah, and with me it's only about a decade. Maybe even five years since I
used to enjoy that stuff.

Reminds me, I need to change the oil next year.

I used to do it twice a year, but I only put 1200 miles a year on my car,
and it just seems like a waste of money, skin, blood, and hand cleaner.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 21:01:03 -0500, Silvan
brought forth from the murky depths:

I used to do it twice a year, but I only put 1200 miles a year on my car,
and it just seems like a waste of money, skin, blood, and hand cleaner.

And all that condensed water in the oil (now creating sulphuric acid)
is actually -good- for the bearings, right?

Do yourself a favor. Spend $18.67 every 4 months at WallyWorld and
get fresh oil installed. (Your engine may outlive you.)

Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord.
http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online
mrdancer

"Silvan" wrote in message
Brian Henderson wrote:

My point was that it would have cost me 2-3x more to buy an entirely
new system. One place quoted me $2200 for a computer that I built
myself for $500. A couple others couldn't even build the system I
wanted because they only used Intel chips and I wanted AMD.

You were calling the wrong places, mayhap. These people are local, and
they're Chinese. They have really good prices. I think maybe they get
good deals from the manufacturers because they speak Chinese fluently.

IMHO, I can build a cheap computer for roughly what a cheap computer costs
at WallyWorld (e.g. - eMachines). When the components of the system
approach $1000 or so, is where there is a real advantage to
'building-yer-own'. I get most of my parts from newegg.com, they have
excellent service and decent prices.

The main reason I build my own systems (and those for my friends) is that I
know what kind of components are going into the system. I can pick and
choose my own quality power supply, heatsink, fans, etc. With a cheap
eMachine system, you're getting a cheap POS power supply that will likely
give you problems on your first upgrade or addition of a powered
peripheral... that's a headache I don't need.

Besides, I order the parts from newegg, they come to my door 4 days later
tax-free, and I can put the system together in the time it takes me to drive
to WallyWorld, deal w/ the hassle of the WallyWorld crowds, and drive back
home. ;-)

Luigi Zanasi

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:56:21 -0500, Silvan
scribbled

Luigi Zanasi wrote:

The only thing that bug's me more than people who don't know how to use
apostrophe's are people who put accents where they don't belong to make

^^^^^!!!!
Isn't there a fundamental law of the universe stating that any usenet
post complaining about or correcting spelling and grammatical mistakes
will have spelling and/or grammar errors? :-)

Is your irony detector broken?

Oops! It was. My lame excuse is that I dinna see "bug's", which makes
it rather obvious.

snip
Manuals". BTW, "Adieu" is one word. ;-)

Is it?

Yup. It is. Did it used to be two words, the way "today" used to be
spelled with a hypen?

Yup, comes from "à Dieu" according to my Larousse. But that was way
before you were born.

Oh well. I freely admit my French sucks anyway. French never has been my
language. I only studied it because it was the only other offering at my
high school, and once I had it, I just continued. My accent is pretty
wretched too. I never have been able to get the vowels right.

That comes from speaking a mouth-deforming language like English all
your life. Almost no pure vowels, all diphthongs. And then you
Murricans insist on diphthonguizing some that should be pure, like the
"a" in cat.

Luigi
Writing this while drinking his second caffè latte this morning.
Replace "no" with "yk" for real email address
Brian Henderson

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 18:02:15 GMT, "mrdancer"
wrote:

The main reason I build my own systems (and those for my friends) is that I
know what kind of components are going into the system. I can pick and
choose my own quality power supply, heatsink, fans, etc. With a cheap
eMachine system, you're getting a cheap POS power supply that will likely
give you problems on your first upgrade or addition of a powered
peripheral... that's a headache I don't need.

I'd be a complete pain at any system builder because I know exactly
what I want in my system. I know exactly what brand I want, exactly
what component I want and I won't take anything else. Most of them
try to use the least expensive parts and off-brands so they make more
profit but I want the top of the line. If I'm going to pay for it, I
want something that will last.

Easier and cheaper to do it myself.
Charlie Self

Tim Douglass writes:

Me, I was Co-Author of a computer book several years ago. Seems like I
made $2500 or so.

Yeah, well...with 2 exceptions, I made more money in royalties off some 12 page
booklets I wrote back in '67 and '68 that were distributed, free by Lions'
Clubs, IIRC, to high school driver ed classes. And I only got half the
royalties because there was a "co-author" on the best of them. The co-authoer
loaned us his better known name, essentially, for half the payment. If memory
serves, I got about half a 8% royalty on a 25 or 30 cent booklet, but made
about $4500 the first year off at least one of them. Takes a lot of booklets...

Charlie Self

"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who
believe it." George Carlin

Charlie Self

Tim Douglass responds:

loaned us his better known name, essentially, for half the payment. If

memory
serves, I got about half a 8% royalty on a 25 or 30 cent booklet, but made
about $4500 the first year off at least one of them. Takes a lot of

booklets...

No too bad. To keep it in perspective, two of us worked for about 6
months full-time to produce that book - all for about $2500 each. Not
the best wages I've ever pulled. But the book gave us an "in" with
some people that resulted in a multi-million dollar contract for the
company, which was the real motivation for writing it.

That makes more sense. To add some perspective, when I wrote one of those
booklets, I'd just lost a job paying about $110 a week, doing writing and
magazine editing for the local (Schenectady--then channel 17--WMHT) public TV
station.

And I got $300 for my second or third magazine article sale, to Science &
Mechanics.

Charlie Self

"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who
believe it." George Carlin

Silvan

Brian Henderson wrote:

greasy, rip open a few knuckles, make a big mess on my driveway, and not
have any time left over to do anything fun.

If you know what you're doing, there's no mess and no ripped knuckles.
A socket set, a pair of long-nose pliers and brake parts and you're
done in an hour. No muss, no fuss.

Yeah, whatever you say, Chief. No fuss, no muss, sounds like you're a
freaking master mechanic for sure. Feel free to come by and do my brakes
any time you want. I guaran-damn-tee you that you won't get through a job
on one of *my* rust buckets in an hour. It'll probably take you that long
just to get a wheel off.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Tim Douglass

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 23:37:13 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Brian Henderson wrote:

greasy, rip open a few knuckles, make a big mess on my driveway, and not
have any time left over to do anything fun.

If you know what you're doing, there's no mess and no ripped knuckles.
A socket set, a pair of long-nose pliers and brake parts and you're
done in an hour. No muss, no fuss.

Yeah, whatever you say, Chief. No fuss, no muss, sounds like you're a
freaking master mechanic for sure. Feel free to come by and do my brakes
any time you want. I guaran-damn-tee you that you won't get through a job
on one of *my* rust buckets in an hour. It'll probably take you that long
just to get a wheel off.

Since I have an air compressor for my nail guns I bought an impact
wrench last Spring. That is far and away the best tool I've ever
bought for mechanical work. I've added an air ratchet to it as well.
Wish I'd had those 20 years ago when I was doing lots of work on cars.
Back then buddy and I once changed the clutch on his hot rod in about
2 hours, which isn't too bad when you consider it required removing
and reinstalling the engine.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

ClydesdaleMTB

Brian Henderson wrote:

Yeah, whatever you say, Chief. No fuss, no muss, sounds like you're a
freaking master mechanic for sure. Feel free to come by and do my brakes
any time you want. I guaran-damn-tee you that you won't get through a job
on one of *my* rust buckets in an hour. It'll probably take you that long
just to get a wheel off.

Sounds like your vehicles suffer from both your ham fisted mechanical
skills as well as years of pitiful neglect.

I do ALL my own mechanical work and there is not a single job on any of
my cars I cannot do myself. From a simple brake job, all the way to
dropping the transmission out or pulling the motor and stripping the
block.... and these are OLD New England vehicles (salt+snow+age=rust).

--
John G.
http://www.shavings.net/survival.htm

1987 745 Turbo 440,000 miles
1988 764 Turbo 310,000 miles
1988 765 turbo 145,000 miles

Silvan

Tim Douglass wrote:

Since I have an air compressor for my nail guns I bought an impact
wrench last Spring. That is far and away the best tool I've ever

Wouldn't do me any good since it would just wrench the studs off anyway.

bought for mechanical work. I've added an air ratchet to it as well.
Wish I'd had those 20 years ago when I was doing lots of work on cars.
Back then buddy and I once changed the clutch on his hot rod in about
2 hours, which isn't too bad when you consider it required removing
and reinstalling the engine.

If it was an old car 20 years ago, it was probably relatively easy to pull
the engine. People from the '60s back had it made. Nowadays it's hard to
even *find* the engine under all the wires and hoses.

Still, that's pretty impressive!

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

ClydesdaleMTB wrote:

Brian Henderson wrote:

Yeah, whatever you say, Chief. No fuss, no muss, sounds like you're a
freaking master mechanic for sure. Feel free to come by and do my brakes

Sounds like your vehicles suffer from both your ham fisted mechanical
skills as well as years of pitiful neglect.

Yeah, well, OK. I've thought about it a bit. I probably *do* suck at that
kind of stuff. I was snide because I was feeling defensive, but I really
don't have any *reason* to be defensive. The fact is, I just haven't done
that much car work. Four brake jobs in 15 years, three mufflers, a water
pump, a few valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, wires, etc.... I shouldn't
be expected to do any of these jobs in an hour because I haven't done
anything often enough to be quick and confident about it.

So I was a smartass without good reason, and I apologize to both of you and
anyone else who's thinking what an asshole I am about now.

I still stand by what I said originally though. I really don't enjoy car
work at all, and if I could afford to, I'd never fool with it again.

It's a PITA, a black hole for time, and yes, I invariably cut myself or bark
my knuckles on something. And yes, for that matter, I *am* clumsy. Clumsy
as hell. I always have been. I get defensive about it, but I can't help
it. My hands twitch, and I move with all the delicate grace of a
three-legged rhinoceros. I accomplish what I do in spite of these
limitations, and in the end I don't do too damn bad at all.

There's no shame in admitting I suck at auto mechanics. So there. I suck
at auto mechanics. I suck at sports too. Hooooo boy. Lucky for me, my
wife doesn't care about any of these things, which is why I'm not a
31-year-old virgin. There's hope even for dorks like me.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

solarman

We got "skills" man....SKILLS... I always loved the look of
someone who couldn't figure out where all the wires and hoses
go....and then we put them all back in a couple of minutes...

"Silvan" wrote in message
Tim Douglass wrote:

[...]

Linux fanatic, and certified Geek; registered Linux user

#243621
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

solarman wrote:

We got "skills" man....SKILLS... I always loved the look of
someone who couldn't figure out where all the wires and hoses
go....and then we put them all back in a couple of minutes...

I'll bet. That's one I've never had any real desire to do, even back when I
was thinking of myself as a car guy.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 02:45:33 -0500, Silvan

solarman wrote:

We got "skills" man....SKILLS... I always loved the look of
someone who couldn't figure out where all the wires and hoses
go....and then we put them all back in a couple of minutes...

I'll bet. That's one I've never had any real desire to do, even back when I
was thinking of myself as a car guy.

That was my forte, too. I loved tearing into dashboards and creating
new wiring harnesses for crashed vehicles when we couldn't find a new
harness. Ever use 2 full rolls of electrical tape on a single project?
Of course, doing that on a full and dripping garbage truck was the one
time I really disliked that job. Their taillight harness got chewed
by a wheel and I had to rewire it when it was full and R I P E !

I have more fun behind a keyboard nowadays, though.

-----
= The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. =
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Henry E Schaffer

In article ,
solarman wrote:
We got "skills" man....SKILLS... I always loved the look of
someone who couldn't figure out where all the wires and hoses
go....and then we put them all back in a couple of minutes...

Some of the skills aren't so hard if you pay attention. A buddy of
mine needed to replace a burned out headlight and wanted to have a
garage do it because he wasn't sufficiently "skilled". I told him I'd
talk him through the job.

First, I said unscrew the screws holding on the rim of the headlight.
He removes the first screw ok, drops it on the ground, and moves the
screwdriver to the next screw head.

"Wait" I said "first practice putting back the screw you just removed."

Talk about a blank look! "It disappeared!" he wailed.

(Yes, I watched where it fell - and everything then went fine.)

Was his problem "lack of skill"? I'd call it something else - more
like paying attention, or keeping focused.
--
--henry schaffer

Brian Henderson

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 16:24:06 -0500, ClydesdaleMTB
wrote:

Brian Henderson wrote:
Yeah, whatever you say, Chief. No fuss, no muss, sounds like you're a
freaking master mechanic for sure. Feel free to come by and do my brakes
any time you want. I guaran-damn-tee you that you won't get through a job
on one of *my* rust buckets in an hour. It'll probably take you that long
just to get a wheel off.

Sounds like your vehicles suffer from both your ham fisted mechanical
skills as well as years of pitiful neglect.

Actually, I didn't write that, that was a response to me. Watch the
attribs.

I do ALL my own mechanical work and there is not a single job on any of
my cars I cannot do myself. From a simple brake job, all the way to
dropping the transmission out or pulling the motor and stripping the
block.... and these are OLD New England vehicles (salt+snow+age=rust).

Pretty much the same here, although there are some jobs I will hand
off to the professionals, simply because they've got better tools and
more time than I do. But I certainly can drop a transmission or pull
an engine or replace any component in the car if necessary and more
often than not, I can do it for 1/3 the price and time that a
professional shop can.
mrdancer

news
wrote:

The main reason I build my own systems (and those for my friends) is that

know what kind of components are going into the system. I can pick and
choose my own quality power supply, heatsink, fans, etc. With a cheap
eMachine system, you're getting a cheap POS power supply that will likely
give you problems on your first upgrade or addition of a powered
peripheral... that's a headache I don't need.

I'd be a complete pain at any system builder because I know exactly
what I want in my system. I know exactly what brand I want, exactly
what component I want and I won't take anything else. Most of them
try to use the least expensive parts and off-brands so they make more
profit but I want the top of the line. If I'm going to pay for it, I
want something that will last.

Easier and cheaper to do it myself.

Here's another compelling reason to build your own:
Test
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=1

Summary
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=18

Here's a quote:
"The Pentium III based Celerons offered, at one time, acceptable
performance. However, it is clear that in the value segment today, Intel has
nothing to offer but a high clock speed. AnandTech readers will know to stay
away from the Celeron at all costs; however, what is troublesome are the
number of retail customers who are faced with the decision between a higher
priced 2.6GHz Celeron system and an Athlon XP 2200+. We would highly
encourage system vendors like Compaq and eMachines to shift their low-end
focus to AMD if their customers are of any importance at all. As we've seen
through our extensive benchmarking, the Celeron's performance is truly
dismal; so while Intel is quite competitive in the mid-range and high-end
segments, their value processors are inexcusably slow compared to AMD."
End Quote.

Most folks who don't know any better will always choose the Pentium
(Celeron), not knowing the amount of performance they are giving up.

Then there are the overclocking guys (another compelling reason to build
your own). With quality components and a few changes in the BIOS, a lot of
guys are running the AMD Barton 2500+ (1.83Ghz) processor at an actual
2.2Ghz, which would put it on par with a Pentium4 3.0Ghz chip. The Barton
chip is $86 and the P4 chip is $268 (ref: newegg.com). $182 more for equal
performance!

Swingman

Sounds like the guy who called me for a job today. Fresh out of some 6 month
wonder engineer course, probably paid for with my tax dollars: "Duh .....
man! ......... uh, not .... sure ........ hey, but did I, uh ..... call you,
uh ... yesterday? I, uh .... can't remember ..... but,... hey, I am, uh ....
looking to go, uh to, you know, to work, in .... a , you know ...uh, .... a
recording studio. Who did ... you, uh say .... uh, this was?"

.... Hell of it is, judging from what I am hearing these days, I probably
turned down a future Grammy engineer.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Henry E Schaffer" wrote in message

First, I said unscrew the screws holding on the rim of the headlight.
He removes the first screw ok, drops it on the ground, and moves the
screwdriver to the next screw head.

"Wait" I said "first practice putting back the screw you just removed."

Talk about a blank look! "It disappeared!" he wailed.

(Yes, I watched where it fell - and everything then went fine.)

Was his problem "lack of skill"? I'd call it something else - more
like paying attention, or keeping focused.
--
--henry schaffer

Silvan

Swingman wrote:

... Hell of it is, judging from what I am hearing these days, I probably
turned down a future Grammy engineer.

Yup, probably. One of the guys unloading my truck yesterday... Well, he's
one of *those* kids. I made some comment in good-natured jest, and his
reply was "Man, I ain't gonna be doin' this for long, man, I'm gonna go to
college and become a sound engineer and then I'm gonna be rich as **** dude
so be nice to me."

Yeah, OK, sure... I don't even think he's being unrealistic, considering
the last time I bought a newly-released CD was seven years ago, and it
wasn't that good.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Charlie Self

Mark & Juanitia writes:

Yup, probably. One of the guys unloading my truck yesterday... Well, he's
one of *those* kids. I made some comment in good-natured jest, and his
reply was "Man, I ain't gonna be doin' this for long, man, I'm gonna go to
college and become a sound engineer and then I'm gonna be rich as **** dude
so be nice to me."

Yeah, OK, sure... I don't even think he's being unrealistic, considering
the last time I bought a newly-released CD was seven years ago, and it
wasn't that good.

... he probably is being unrealistic. The last time a lot of people
bought a CD was seven years ago, and it isn't because they're
downloading .wav's; there just isn't that much good stuff out there. But
then, like I've said before, IMO, they stopped writing music in about
1820 or so.

I was trying to recall when the last time I bought a CD was...about 2-3 years
ago, picked up a couple Kenny G recordings. At the same time, I bought some
rock music...Bill Haley & The Comets and an old Ann Murray. My musical
sophistication doesn't reach back as far as Mark's, or as deeply probably, but
in all honesty, I can say F**K every other word without paying 15 bucks for the
CD. Or without thinking about someone like Leean Rimes, in an article in
yesterday's paper, talking about how she straightened her life out after "all
her troubles." The kid's 21, worth maybe 50 million bucks, and who gives a
damn.

I can remember his name now...ah, English for yard, Garth something or
other...who kept putting out medicore songs in a medicore voice and selling
millions of copies, while telling his fans that they had to take chances, get
involved. IIRC, he retired at 35 or so, worth nearly half a billion.

I'm not about to add to it.

Charlie Self

"In the final choice a soldier's pack is not so heavy as a prisoner's chains."
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Silvan

Mark & Juanita wrote:

... he probably is being unrealistic. The last time a lot of people
bought a CD was seven years ago, and it isn't because they're
downloading .wav's; there just isn't that much good stuff out there. But

True. I like *looking* at a lot of what's out there now, but with the
volume off for pity's sake!

then, like I've said before, IMO, they stopped writing music in about
1820 or so.

More like the 1700s.

Well, except for Pink Floyd. J. S. Bach and Pink Floyd. What a weirdo I
am.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Mark Jerde

Silvan wrote:

then, like I've said before, IMO, they stopped writing music in about
1820 or so.

More like the 1700s.

Well, except for Pink Floyd. J. S. Bach and Pink Floyd. What a
weirdo I am.

Some Metallica and Rammstein music is to me non-boring. (Most music is.)
Are you familiar with either of these bands? Neither is chained to the "E
cord, E minor cord, and bar" of so many other bands.

-- Mark

Silvan

Mark Jerde wrote:

Some Metallica and Rammstein music is to me non-boring. (Most music is.)
Are you familiar with either of these bands? [snip]

I know what the Metallica logo looks like, sort of. Does that count?

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:33:05 -0500, Silvan
brought forth from the murky depths:

Well, except for Pink Floyd. J. S. Bach and Pink Floyd. What a weirdo I
am.

I've seen P.D.Q. Bach in concert (what a hoot) and still
adore Pink Floyd.

Much of today's music could be considered chamber pot music.
Rap makes me miss disco.

Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications
Swingman

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:33:05 -0500, Silvan

I've seen P.D.Q. Bach in concert (what a hoot) and still
adore Pink Floyd.

Hey, Betty Sue Bach was an awesome player ... you gotta be to play those
notes that fall off the staff into a pile on the page like that.

Rap makes me miss disco.

An excellent wielding of the ultimate musical insult.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

Silvan

Larry Jaques wrote:

I've seen P.D.Q. Bach in concert (what a hoot) and still
adore Pink Floyd.

A man of good taste then. What's your favorite album?

I guess I'd have to say mine is "Wish You Were Here," but it's not out front
by much.

Much of today's music could be considered chamber pot music.
Rap makes me miss disco.

Actually, there were two or three good disco songs. There might even be a
good country song. Rap/hip hop is the musical equivalent of bird cage
lining.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Iraxl Enb

More like the 1700s.

Well, except for Pink Floyd. J. S. Bach and Pink Floyd. What a weirdo I
am.

Floyd and ELP. And nothing else matters I guess...

irax.

Tom Watson

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:33:05 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Well, except for Pink Floyd.

OBWW: "Careful with that axe, Eugene."

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
Silvan

Tom Watson wrote:

Well, except for Pink Floyd.

OBWW: "Careful with that axe, Eugene."

Yeah man.

(I said that to my boy a lot when I was teaching him how to use one.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:16:22 -0500, Silvan

Larry Jaques wrote:

I've seen P.D.Q. Bach in concert (what a hoot) and still
adore Pink Floyd.

A man of good taste then. What's your favorite album?

Very hard to choose, but probably a tie between "Obscured
by Clouds" and "Dark Side of the Moon".

Favorite songs: Free Four, Childhood's End, Fearless,
Wish You Were Here, Several Species of Small Furry Animals
Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict, Time,
Breathe, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, (their early stuff)

Of course, I liked Zappa and King Crimson, too.

I guess I'd have to say mine is "Wish You Were Here," but it's not out front
by much.

EXCELLENT song.

Much of today's music could be considered chamber pot music.
Rap makes me miss disco.

Actually, there were two or three good disco songs.

No comment. gag, kaff, choke

There might even be a
good country song. Rap/hip hop is the musical equivalent of bird cage
lining.

Ah, you betcha.

"Ka ka kaoum ba, wheeeee-eeeee.", brother.

(from SSOSAGTIACAGWAP)

P.S: Now people will have no doubt whatsoever about my sanity.

I sent in my $5, so * http://www.diversify.com/stees.html
why haven't I been 'saved'? * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:49:27 -0600, Iraxl Enb
brought forth from the murky depths:

More like the 1700s.

Well, except for Pink Floyd. J. S. Bach and Pink Floyd. What a weirdo I
am.

Floyd and ELP. And nothing else matters I guess...

I saw Keith Emerson spinning and playing 8' off the stage
wilst strapped to a piano bench and an electric grand piano
(or was that the MOOG?) at the Cal Jam. THE Cal Jam, not some
second string later concert. We were close enough to center
of the infield that the QUAD sound system worked.
/dating myself