George Gibeau

Default Is Usnet Dying?

Tom,

I teach in the Networking Technologies department at the local community
college - this semester I am teaching 3 sections of an Intro to Networking
Basics course - just last week I was teaching a section on TCP/IP and its
related sub-protocols - and as part of that lecture I was talking about
NNTP - in all 3 classes I asked who knew what NNTP was - I got 50+ blank
stares over the course of the day. Having explained what NNTP is, I then
asked who used Newsgroups - and again got the blank 1000 yard stare. Man
did I feel old - especially when I explained to them that you used to get
your news by telnetting into a mainframe and just typing News ;-). I then
took about 15 minutes and gave them a brief demo of at least reading news
with Google as well as setting up Outlook Express (and talking about
dedicated newsreaders). Not sure how many converts I made, but I was
shocked to see no one was using this great resource. (But then again, most
of these kids don't even know how to get around in DOS ;-))

-George-

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
s.com...
I read someone's comment the other day about how their ISP claimed
that "no one uses newsgroups anymore."

My own ISP has made the same comment to me when I've called to
complain about inadequate Newsgroup service. They seem to feel that
their customer base uses Usenet in only a marginal fashion. They act
as though they couldn't be bothered.

This newsgroup, in particular, seems to be vibrant and well
subscribed. The chess newgroups that I lurk on seem to be in the same
condition.

When I look at the Netscan statistics, I see signs that there are many
active groups.

Why this attitude by the ISP's?

I use two newsgroup providers, TeraNews being my backup, because my
ISP's provider is often out of whack. TeraNews is fine for a backup
but is often down.

However, I've had complaints from some that they don't see my posts
when they come through my ISP's provider (Voicenet, I believe) because
their system does not pick up the posts.

I've tried reading the group through Google but it seems to have a lot
of lag time between the time that posts are made and when they show up
on Google.

What is going on with this Usenet thing? Are the ISP's right in
claiming that Usenet is dying? And, given that the ISP's don't care,
what is the most reliable way to read and post on Usenet?

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson