Silvan

Default Is Usnet Dying?

George wrote:

Spoken like an urban type. For some, there is a single choice. Or pay
distance charges.

An urban type... That's sort of funny.

I guess comparatively speaking, maybe, but I wouldn't characterize this as
an urban area.

I think the main factor here is that we got into technology early.
Supposedly the Blacksburg Electronic Village project was the very first one
to open the doors of the internet to the general public. After a couple
years of state-sponsored $6 internet, they talked a pair of companies into
starting ISPs, and kicked all the non-university types off the BEV.

We had ISPs back in 1993, and I don't think very many places did back then.
Definitely not many (or not any) places as rural in nature as this one.
(I'm still with the same ISP I signed up with after getting kicked off the
BEV, incidentally. My first provider was Radford University, then the BEV,
and then these guys for the past 10 or so years.)

You think any of the kids understand the Windows modem icon? I remember
my 300 had the top molded to mate comfortably with a standard desk set, as

Sounds like you'd lump me in with the "kids." So yes, I do. We had one of
those things when I was a wee lad, but I never used it for much. When I
got into BBSing in about middle school, it was via a PC with an internal
1200 baud modem. Dad used the 300 baud acoustic coupler deal for work,
from a Heathkit dumb terminal.

He might still have it. Should I try to sell it on eBay?

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/