Keith Carlson

Default Is Usnet Dying?

"Swingman" wrote in message
news.com...
The format of UseNet is what is so attractive to me ... I just like using

my
e-mail client to participate and never cared a tinker's damn for web based
forums.

However, I participated in an e-book forum for a number of years using a
list server and it was almost like being on UseNet, as the _comfort_ of

your
e-mail client was preserved.

I would not be adverse to trying it again.

I wonder how many don't care for web forums? One big advantage would be to
have a moderated forum. Be able to block random posters by requiring
registration, and being able to step in when a thread gets out of hand.

Usenet still has its place. IIRC, the original reason for Usenet was to give
a forum for open expression, especially for politics and other controversial
subjects.

Hard to see how a woodworking group needs that freedom of expression,
though.