Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another thing about electric cars

On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 11:46:46 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

alan_m wrote:

I find the heated front screen on my car a bonus in frost/winter
conditions.

Presume Ford have a patent stranglehold on heated screens? They seem to
chuck it in on even their base models, but other manufacturers either
don't have it as an option, or it costs arms and legs ...

I believe that they do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2020 13:45, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Liquorice pretended :
That would frequently just cover the car in ice and/or create an ice
rink around the car... Aerosol deicer on the side windows struggles
or even freezes at times. Start the car, press the auto defrost
button. Wander round clearing the side windows, lights etc. By the
time those have been done the screen is either clear or the wipers
can just push it off.

I used to always do the warm water trick, never a problem.

Ford had the patent on the built into the screen heater wires, which
prevented other manufacturers using the system. I think Volvo were
allowed use of it. They worked great, when I owned Ford Granadas.

My freelanders had it.

--
WOKE is an acronym... Without Originality, Knowledge or Education.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim... wrote:
another nail in the coffin for the "just drop by the fuel station on your
way to work for a daily fast charge" solution, for those of us who live
in
suburban streets without off street parking

There's no real reason there couldn't be lots of on street chargers. Such
things already exist. Just not enough of them, if and when electric cars
become the norm.

The reason is:

a) someone has to pay for them to be installed (usually well in advance of
the critical mass of them being needed)

b) they clutter up the street

there are three of them at the end of my street

The online apps suggest that they get used about 25% of the time (usually
during the day when people park for an hour or two to go shopping)

I suspect that no-one in the street (or the 4 surrounding streets that these
chargers serve) has bought a plug-in expecting to charge up there overnight
as, on a long term basis, 3 chargers is an insufficient number for the 200
households that surround them

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
There's no real reason there couldn't be lots of on street chargers. Such
things already exist. Just not enough of them, if and when electric cars
become the norm.

The reason is:

a) someone has to pay for them to be installed (usually well in advance of
the critical mass of them being needed)

Someone had to pay for petrol stations too.

b) they clutter up the street

That never stopped the councils with parking meters and so on.

there are three of them at the end of my street

The online apps suggest that they get used about 25% of the time
(usually during the day when people park for an hour or two to go
shopping)

I suspect that no-one in the street (or the 4 surrounding streets that
these chargers serve) has bought a plug-in expecting to charge up there
overnight as, on a long term basis, 3 chargers is an insufficient number
for the 200 households that surround them

Round here they are not situated outside a house. They are on a side
street down the side of the garden wall. If, however, there are as many
electric cars as petrol etc as at present, things will have to change.

As a percentage of the cost of a new EV, I doubt they are that expensive -
especially when they are made by the million.

--
*Husband and cat lost -- reward for cat

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 15:02:38 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Ford had the patent on the built into the screen heater wires,

which
prevented other manufacturers using the system. I think Volvo were

allowed use of it. They worked great, when I owned Ford Granadas.

My freelanders had it.

So does mine and the two Disco II's before that. There is some link
somewhere between Ford and Land Rover though. Fitted a decent light
in the roof lining for the rear loadspace in the Freelander. The lamp
unit, identical to the lamp unit in the rear passenger compartment of
the FL, is Ford and from the Galaxy people carrier.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tim... wrote:
[...]

what is going to cost money is installing the infrastructure needed to
power them.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2020 12:13, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 11:32:20 +0000, alan_m wrote:

In most cases even with previously de-frosting windows unless the
interior of the car in warm, or there is stream of hot air to the
windows, they will mist/freeze up again rather quickly. I find the
heated front screen on my car a bonus in frost/winter conditions.

+1

Heated screen is one of the top requirements for a car. Way above
poncy heated seats. B-) Doesn't half draw some power though, very
noticeable change in engine note when when switched on, far more than
the heated rear screen lights etc combined.

If the controls are also set to blow air at the windscreen the AC may be
automatically switched on to dry the incoming air.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 29, 2020 at 11:42:42 AM UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 03:21:25 -0800 (PST), fred wrote:

The article in yesterdays Guardian high lighted this. The problem there
lay with the users lack of knowledge on using an electric vehicle.

Disagree. They knew they would have to stop for a fast charge on the
return leg and had planned for that(*). The problems started when
that planned fast charger and almost every other one in the area was
also non-functional.

(*) You can't assume that they could plug into 13A socket at their
destination. Maybe the trip was just to drop a food
parcel/medicines/WHY off to someone before lockdown 2. ie they didn't
stop for any appreciable lenght of time.

--
Cheers
Dave.

I disagree. They should have planned a re-charge before their battery was too depleted, even if this meant stopping on the way up. I regularly do a trip which exceeds my battery capacity. I have located a charge point 75%of the journey on the out leg. At my destination I again have access to a choice of charge points which means if my first choice on the way up isn't available I can still manage the first leg of my journey. If all these choices are unavailable I can head for a near big city where there are multiple choices.
I've only ever once had a non functioning charge station. I did have to wait a short while on one other occasion when the fast charge point was occupied but I didn't have to wait too long and anyway could have started with an available slow charger if necessary. Max charge time on a fast charge is generally 45minutes after which a penalty kicks in so people do not tend to hog the charge point. 30 minutes fast charge gives me in excess of 100 miles. All it takes is a little planning not unlike making a journey in a small plane where you're going to masked bloody sure you have sufficient fuel AND a contingency plan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2020 11:03, Tim Streater wrote:
On 29 Nov 2020 at 10:23:45 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 09:11:13 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 08:25:35 -0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

I never really understood heated seats, must be one of the most
wasteful ways to heat things up.

Last three cars have had heated seats. Don't like them, even the current
car with two heat seatings. The lowest still makes your arse and back
hot and sweaty and don't do anything for feet, knees or hands. What do
you have to do, wear long johns and gloves?

I love mine, simply because my back can be very stiff first thing in the
morning. The heated seat does wonders; I start off on the top setting (3)
and move down to 2, 1 and then off.

+1

They are the best way to get warm quickly in a cold car. They don't have to be
on for very long.

Didn't the Swedes (where this idea came from) prove that they
reduced accidents in the early morning ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2020 11:46, Andy Burns wrote:
alan_m wrote:

I find the heated front screen on my car a bonus in frost/winter
conditions.

Presume Ford have a patent stranglehold on heated screens?* They seem to
chuck it in on even their base models, but other manufacturers either
don't have it as an option, or it costs arms and legs ...

I found it really useful on a 1990 Escort. The heating wires were rather
distracting in the fog, though, as you focussed on them rather than the
road ahead.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2020 05:00, williamwright wrote:

Presumably the battery capacity drops with age and usage. That's another
variable then. Dare I put the heater on? Shall I try to drive without
the headlamps on? etc etc.

Maybe travel rugs will come back.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Max Demian
wrote:
On 29/11/2020 05:00, williamwright wrote:

Presumably the battery capacity drops with age and usage. That's
another variable then. Dare I put the heater on? Shall I try to drive
without the headlamps on? etc etc.

Maybe travel rugs will come back.

In this family, they've never gone away.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 29/11/2020 13:45, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Liquorice pretended :
That would frequently just cover the car in ice and/or create an ice
rink around the car... Aerosol deicer on the side windows struggles
or even freezes at times. Start the car, press the auto defrost
button. Wander round clearing the side windows, lights etc. By the
time those have been done the screen is either clear or the wipers
can just push it off.

I used to always do the warm water trick, never a problem.

Ford had the patent on the built into the screen heater wires, which
prevented other manufacturers using the system. I think Volvo were
allowed use of it. They worked great, when I owned Ford Granadas.

My freelanders had it.

Jaguars too but there were owned by Ford at some point. Maybe Landrover
too?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
fred explained on 29/11/2020 :
Also if embarking on a long journey research it first, establish the location
of charging stations and plot the route accordingly around all high power
charging stations and make allowance for any that may be occupied or not
working. A good app will tell you this. The low power ones are useless unless
you anticipate staying near one for a long period of time.

An unimaginable amount of guess work, hoping and planning for a
relatively trip, when compared to what I would need to do in my diesel.
In my diesel I just need to decide where I want to go and go, no
refuelling planning, whether I set off with a full or empty tank. If I
do need fuel, I am certain to find it day or night almost anywhere and
refuelling takes just minutes - no searching for stations, no finding
them closed, broken, or not compatible.

Without a doubt the charging network isnt up to speed yet and its gonna
take some time. For many folk though, the vast majority of charging will
be done at home so the quality of the charging network isnt a major issue.
For these for (like myself) an EV makes an enormous amount of sense.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Ford had the patent on the built into the screen heater wires, which
prevented other manufacturers using the system. I think Volvo were
allowed use of it. They worked great, when I owned Ford Granadas.

My freelanders had it.

Jaguars too but there were owned by Ford at some point. Maybe Landrover
too?

Yes ford owned jag and landrover before selling both to tata, who
eventually merged them both to form JLR.

Volvo were also owned by ford (but not for long)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2020 10:58, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I find seat heaters quite effective. Your body has the ability via the
blood stream, to spread warmth in one part of your body, to the rest of
your body.

If my feet are cold I put a jumper on. Once my trunk is hot my feet are OK.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2020 12:22, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Heated screen is one of the top requirements for a car.

I just pour a few litres of fairly cool water over the car, only takes a
few seconds and works on all windows and door mirrors, not just front
and rear.

When it's really bad out there I put an electric fan fire in the van and
leave it running for ten minutes. That works perfectly.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2020 12:20, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

An unimaginable amount of guess work, hoping and planning for a
relatively trip, when compared to what I would need to do in my diesel.
In my diesel I just need to decide where I want to go and go, no
refuelling planning, whether I set off with a full or empty tank. If I
do need fuel, I am certain to find it day or night almost anywhere and
refuelling takes just minutes - no searching for stations, no finding
them closed, broken, or not compatible.

Nor having to endure a half hour wait being ripped off for coffee or
food in motorway services whilst waiting for charge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2020 16:40, fred wrote:

[...]

Good grief, what a palaver! My equivalent is: drive until the fuel gauge
reads about half way, start looking for a filling station, fill up.

Planning it like an aeroplane journey indeed! What a load of arse!

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2020 12:07, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 08:44:48 +0000, alan_m
wrote:
snip

Just fit a diesel heater

I've got two of these and they work fine. They draw about 1A but cycle
on and off depending on the thermostat setting. The don't half make a
lot of heat.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
another nail in the coffin for the "just drop by the fuel station on your
way to work for a daily fast charge" solution, for those of us who live in
suburban streets without off street parking

There's no real reason there couldn't be lots of on street chargers. Such
things already exist. Just not enough of them, if and when electric cars
become the norm.

I don't think the greenies will encourage that. They don't really like
ordinary working class people having cars anyway; they think the proles
should all be on public transport, and they have no instinctive regard
for individual freedom because they are basically communistic.

I don't see any political push from any direction for on-street parking
facilities in poorer areas.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2020 11:26, Fredxx wrote:
On 29/11/2020 05:00:17, williamwright wrote:
Presumably the battery capacity drops with age and usage. That's
another variable then. Dare I put the heater on? Shall I try to drive
without the headlamps on? etc etc.

I'm sure there will be a diesel heater accessory sold as a range
extender which can use red diesel.

Anything diesel can use red diesel. Some engines are designed to run on
paraffin.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Without a doubt the charging network isnt up to speed yet and its gonna
take some time. For many folk though, the vast majority of charging will
be done at home so the quality of the charging network isnt a major issue.
For these for (like myself) an EV makes an enormous amount of sense.

But if people like you can, and mainly do, charge at home, that won't
incentivise the charging networks to expand, so people who can't charge
at homes won't buy EVs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
There's no real reason there couldn't be lots of on street chargers. Such
things already exist. Just not enough of them, if and when electric cars
become the norm.

The reason is:

a) someone has to pay for them to be installed (usually well in advance of
the critical mass of them being needed)

Someone had to pay for petrol stations too.

But people don't have to park in front of petrol pumps for extended
periods of time so the petrol stations don't also need to be car parks.

Perhaps this can be an earner in towns for cash strapped councils. Only
allow charging stations to be installed in council run car parks where
"normal" parking charges apply.

How is Elfin Safety going to cope with charging points on roads with
trip hazards from flying charging leads and with the insulation that may
not be up to scratch after a period of misuse?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 29/11/2020 12:13, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 11:32:20 +0000, alan_m wrote:

In most cases even with previously de-frosting windows unless the
interior of the car in warm, or there is stream of hot air to the
windows, they will mist/freeze up again rather quickly. I find the
heated front screen on my car a bonus in frost/winter conditions.

+1

Heated screen is one of the top requirements for a car. Way above
poncy heated seats.

I'll settle for one with a radio that cannot play Vanessa Feltz broadcasts.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Ford had the patent on the built into the screen heater wires, which
prevented other manufacturers using the system. I think Volvo were
allowed use of it. They worked great, when I owned Ford Granadas.

My freelanders had it.

Jaguars too but there were owned by Ford at some point. Maybe Landrover
too?

Yes ford owned jag and landrover before selling both to tata, who
eventually merged them both to form JLR.

Volvo were also owned by ford (but not for long)

Ford also owned Mazda for a time

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote:
On 29/11/2020 11:26, Fredxx wrote:
On 29/11/2020 05:00:17, williamwright wrote:
Presumably the battery capacity drops with age and usage. That's
another variable then. Dare I put the heater on? Shall I try to drive
without the headlamps on? etc etc.

I'm sure there will be a diesel heater accessory sold as a range
extender which can use red diesel.

Anything diesel can use red diesel. Some engines are designed to run on
paraffin.

There's no difference between 'red diesel' and 'diesel' except the
addition of a bit of dye.

Paraffin is a different beast.

Old/basic/simple diesel engines will run on almost anything, that's
one of their advantages, but modern diesel car engines are somewhat
fussier.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2020 21:48, Tim Streater wrote:
On 29 Nov 2020 at 20:44:40 GMT, ARW wrote:

On 29/11/2020 12:13, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 11:32:20 +0000, alan_m wrote:

In most cases even with previously de-frosting windows unless the
interior of the car in warm, or there is stream of hot air to the
windows, they will mist/freeze up again rather quickly. I find the
heated front screen on my car a bonus in frost/winter conditions.

+1

Heated screen is one of the top requirements for a car. Way above
poncy heated seats.

I'll settle for one with a radio that cannot play Vanessa Feltz broadcasts.

Who's she?

A clueless ugly fat bird with opinions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2020 11:21, fred wrote:
On Sunday, November 29, 2020 at 10:59:39 AM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
I have a friend who has an electric car, VW I think, and it has heated
seats as well. I never really understood heated seats, must be one of
the most wasteful ways to heat things up.

Not so. On a petrol car etc, they get up to heat very quickly - far
quicker than the coolant driven heater. And since they only heat your bum,
quite an efficient way of doing things.

--
*How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink? *
Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I love heated seats but would also like a heated steering wheel as my fingers take a long time to warm up but my present car has an app that allows me to preheat the interior and I rarely use the heated seats now.
There's more rubbish talked about electric cars and range. The simple way to use an electric car effectively is to keep topping up the battery when possible and not treated it like a petrol engine and run the tank low before refilling it. Also if embarking on a long journey research it first, establish the location of charging stations and plot the route accordingly around all high power charging stations and make allowance for any that may be occupied or not working. A good app will tell you this. The low power ones are useless unless you anticipate staying near one for a long period of time. I think the Tesla stations should be available to all even if they charge more for non Tesla cars Personally I have a BMW i3 rex which has a small motor bike engine which is used to recharge the battery when it gets too low and means as long as i can get to a petrol filling station I'm not going to be stuck and I could even carry a gallon of petrol if I was anal about it.
The article in yesterdays Guardian high lighted this. The problem there lay with the users lack of knowledge on using an electric vehicle.

When I first heard about heated steering wheels I thought "what toss".
Then I had a diesel hire car in Germany one October when it was cold in
the mornings. That car had stupid touchscreens so you couldn't wear
gloves. With the heated steering wheel your hands and fingers are nice
and warm even in the cold car and you can work the touchscreens.

I've got a heated wheel on my current car and it is just brilliant.
Heated seats are a bit keen though unlike my last car. There's only
three heat settings, quite warm, bloody hell that's hot and **** me my
arse is on fire. Although they do seem to run cooler after 10mins.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright laid this down on his screen :
If my feet are cold I put a jumper on. Once my trunk is hot my feet are OK.

Correct. If the core of your body is cool, then circulation to the
extremities is reduced, in favour of the core and brain. Keep the core
warm enough and your extremities will also be warm enough too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 29/11/2020, Dave Liquorice supposed :
The lamp
unit, identical to the lamp unit in the rear passenger compartment of
the FL, is Ford and from the Galaxy people carrier.

Manufactures collect ready made parts from a number of suppliers, so it
is common to find identical parts on several different models and ar
manufacturer's vehicles. Some suspension items from a Galaxy are common
to my Rover and much cheaper if purchased for the Ford.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking alan_m wrote :
If the controls are also set to blow air at the windscreen the AC may be
automatically switched on to dry the incoming air.

I leave my climate on year round.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote :
personally I prefer sitting on a cold seat (though not a freezing cold one)

but I still want my arms and legs to be warm

Leather is the worst in cold weather, but the more expensive option.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred laid this down on his screen :
They should have planned a re-charge before their battery was too depleted,
even if this meant stopping on the way up.

As I read it, that is what they did.
I regularly do a trip which
exceeds my battery capacity. I have located a charge point 75%of the journey
on the out leg. At my destination I again have access to a choice of charge
points which means if my first choice on the way up isn't available I can
still manage the first leg of my journey. If all these choices are
unavailable I can head for a near big city where there are multiple choices.

So you set off with a plan A, B and C, where C involves extra miles out
of your way. It seems a bit extreme to me, that I would need so many
backup plans for every longer trip I decided to make. Seems more like a
campaign, than a simple trip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ formulated on Sunday :
Without a doubt the charging network isnt up to speed yet and its gonna
take some time.

I suspect it will never be adequate, because of the infrastructure
needed to support it.

For many folk though, the vast majority of charging will
be done at home so the quality of the charging network isnt a major issue.
For these for (like myself) an EV makes an enormous amount of sense.

Yes, I can see the point where a driver does a shorter range regular
trip most all of the time and can charge at home.

I am the opposite, now retired - I never use the car for short
journeys, I either walk or use public transport. My car is only used
for much longer trips. When I was working, I drove many miles per day,
no regular routes, no chance to work out where I could recharge if I
were to run out of juice and no certainty of even getting home the same
day. Often setting off, I would be redirected at least once on route to
my planned destination.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mm0fmf was thinking very hard :
I've got a heated wheel on my current car and it is just brilliant. Heated
seats are a bit keen though unlike my last car. There's only three heat
settings, quite warm, bloody hell that's hot and **** me my arse is on fire.
Although they do seem to run cooler after 10mins.

I have not worn gloves in the driving seat since the 60's :-)

My car only has heated seats on or off, they are thermostatically
controlled and switch off after several minutes of use, by which time
my bum and back are toasty.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote on 29/11/2020 :
I've got two of these and they work fine. They draw about 1A but cycle on and
off depending on the thermostat setting. The don't half make a lot of heat.

Mine chucks out a little over 5Kw. It gets my system up to temperature
in 20 minutes from below freezing whilst still parked in my garage, at
the cost of a few ml of diesel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) explained :
There's no real reason there couldn't be lots of on street chargers. Such
things already exist. Just not enough of them, if and when electric cars
become the norm.

No reason at all, apart from the power infrastructure needed to power
them, like cables, distribution networks, sub-stations and power
generation. Well'll be fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2020 22:30, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 29/11/2020, Dave Liquorice supposed :
*The lamp
unit, identical to the lamp unit in the rear passenger compartment of
the FL, is Ford and from the Galaxy people carrier.

Manufactures collect ready made parts from a number of suppliers, so it
is common to find identical parts on several different models and ar
manufacturer's vehicles. Some suspension items from a Galaxy are common
to my Rover and much cheaper if purchased for the Ford.

I once had a Citroen ZX and it was always cheaper to buy the parts for a
Peugeot which shared the same engine and running gear items.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) presented the following explanation :
Someone had to pay for petrol stations too.

They were a gradual development, over 120 years and ICE became more
widespread and greater distances were covered. For electric vehicles we
expect and need high capacity charging to be available now.

It would not be such a problem if the charging were instant, like
fillingup with diesel, but imagine a garage choked up with cars sat
there for many hours, recharging, whilst a long queue builds up outside
all waiting to recharge.