Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another thing about electric cars

In article ,
tim... wrote:
There's no real reason there couldn't be lots of on street chargers. Such
things already exist. Just not enough of them, if and when electric cars
become the norm.

The reason is:

a) someone has to pay for them to be installed (usually well in advance of
the critical mass of them being needed)

Someone had to pay for petrol stations too.

b) they clutter up the street

That never stopped the councils with parking meters and so on.

there are three of them at the end of my street

The online apps suggest that they get used about 25% of the time
(usually during the day when people park for an hour or two to go
shopping)

I suspect that no-one in the street (or the 4 surrounding streets that
these chargers serve) has bought a plug-in expecting to charge up there
overnight as, on a long term basis, 3 chargers is an insufficient number
for the 200 households that surround them

Round here they are not situated outside a house. They are on a side
street down the side of the garden wall. If, however, there are as many
electric cars as petrol etc as at present, things will have to change.

As a percentage of the cost of a new EV, I doubt they are that expensive -
especially when they are made by the million.

--
*Husband and cat lost -- reward for cat

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.