Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default Another thing about electric cars

On Sunday, November 29, 2020 at 11:42:42 AM UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 03:21:25 -0800 (PST), fred wrote:

The article in yesterdays Guardian high lighted this. The problem there
lay with the users lack of knowledge on using an electric vehicle.

Disagree. They knew they would have to stop for a fast charge on the
return leg and had planned for that(*). The problems started when
that planned fast charger and almost every other one in the area was
also non-functional.

(*) You can't assume that they could plug into 13A socket at their
destination. Maybe the trip was just to drop a food
parcel/medicines/WHY off to someone before lockdown 2. ie they didn't
stop for any appreciable lenght of time.

--
Cheers
Dave.

I disagree. They should have planned a re-charge before their battery was too depleted, even if this meant stopping on the way up. I regularly do a trip which exceeds my battery capacity. I have located a charge point 75%of the journey on the out leg. At my destination I again have access to a choice of charge points which means if my first choice on the way up isn't available I can still manage the first leg of my journey. If all these choices are unavailable I can head for a near big city where there are multiple choices.
I've only ever once had a non functioning charge station. I did have to wait a short while on one other occasion when the fast charge point was occupied but I didn't have to wait too long and anyway could have started with an available slow charger if necessary. Max charge time on a fast charge is generally 45minutes after which a penalty kicks in so people do not tend to hog the charge point. 30 minutes fast charge gives me in excess of 100 miles. All it takes is a little planning not unlike making a journey in a small plane where you're going to masked bloody sure you have sufficient fuel AND a contingency plan