Hugo Nebula

Default One thing begets another

I posted here recently about a noisy boiler. Well, I fixed that with
some Fernox noise suppressant. However, as soon as I did that, the
pump has started making a noise. It's a very loud vibration, which to
me sounds like the bearings could be on their way out. It only does
it after running for 10 minutes or so, usually when things fire up in
the morning. When it cools down, it's fine.

1. Could this have anything to do with the noise suppressant I put in
the system? The noises started only a day or two later.

2. How long between the pump making these noises and the thing going
tits up? I'm about to put the house on the market, and I don't want
to shell out for a new pump unless I have to. OTOH, I don't want it
rumbling away while I've got a potential purchaser looking around. Is
there a cheap and nasty bodge to keep the thing running quietly?
--
Hugo Nebula
'What you have to ask yourself is, "if no-one on the internet wants
BigBird

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message
news
I posted here recently about a noisy boiler. Well, I fixed that with
some Fernox noise suppressant. However, as soon as I did that, the
pump has started making a noise. It's a very loud vibration, which to
me sounds like the bearings could be on their way out. It only does
it after running for 10 minutes or so, usually when things fire up in
the morning. When it cools down, it's fine.

1. Could this have anything to do with the noise suppressant I put in
the system? The noises started only a day or two later.

2. How long between the pump making these noises and the thing going
tits up? I'm about to put the house on the market, and I don't want
to shell out for a new pump unless I have to. OTOH, I don't want it
rumbling away while I've got a potential purchaser looking around. Is
there a cheap and nasty bodge to keep the thing running quietly?

A bodge may get you past a purchasers visit it may not limit your liability
dependent on what declarations you are asked to make by the purchaser, their
solicitors or in the questionnaire. Could cost you more in the long run.

If you cannot prove servicing and maintenance the purchaser may even make a
boiler service part of the terms before exchange.

IMM

[...]

You should have used the Fernox acid decaler. Flushed out 4 times and added
inhibitor.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Recessed Lights - Back Covers - Is there such a thing? TheScullster UK diy 6 April 27th 04 10:21 PM
OT-John Kerry Gunner Metalworking 137 February 11th 04 07:38 PM
Is there any such thing as a wood filler that doesn't crack? Alex UK diy 1 September 9th 03 05:31 PM
What is the future of manufacturing? Hardwired Metalworking 157 August 22nd 03 01:14 AM
Electronic/Automatic welding masks - a good thing? Frank UK diy 1 July 21st 03 12:39 PM