Alex

Default Is there any such thing as a wood filler that doesn't crack?

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has any particular brands to recommend?

Over the years I've used fine surface fillers, two part fillers (not car
body ones though), outdoor, indoor, deep gap, rapid set blah blah. but they
all seem to crack after a while - and I'm sure I prepare the cracks
properly.

I repaired my front door last summer, with a combination of Dulux
Weathershield exterior filler, and some two part filler for the bigger gaps.
Used the Weathershield paint system, ensuring to paint end grain on both
ends of the door. Looked lovely This year - bloody huge gaps around the
panels, filler cracked and falling out - is there anything I can do, or
should I just accept this?

My final question is - the previous owner covered our panelled interior
doors with hardboard, and used many, many panel pins. Now that the hardboard
has been removed I'm left with many small holes in the door - what filler
would be best for filling these prior to painting?

Thanks

Alex

---

stuart noble

Alex wrote in message ...
I repaired my front door last summer, with a combination of Dulux
Weathershield exterior filler, and some two part filler for the bigger

gaps.
Used the Weathershield paint system, ensuring to paint end grain on both
ends of the door. Looked lovely This year - bloody huge gaps around the
panels, filler cracked and falling out - is there anything I can do, or
should I just accept this?

There is no filler that will withstand the movement that *can* take place in
wooden panels unless it is so flexible it feels like rubber. However it is
not normal for wood to keep on moving unless it is repeatedly getting soaked
and drying out.

Removing flexible filler spog UK diy 2 September 6th 03 01:00 PM
Wood Burning Stoves andrewpreece UK diy 4 August 19th 03 11:49 AM
Plastic filler (grout) round bath? Alan Holmes UK diy 1 August 10th 03 02:10 PM
Wood - why so expensive? Andy Jeffries UK diy 5 August 8th 03 01:21 PM
Floating wood floor. ian UK diy 4 July 25th 03 06:44 PM