Andy Jeffries

Default Wood - why so expensive?

I've been looking around for some wood (to make a Woodworking bench out
of, later will be making small/simple furniture). B&Q and Homebase are
WAY expensive. I went to my local Elmes (Buildbase) and they quoted:

3x3 - 1.40/m
5x1 - 1.70/m

This still seems quite expensive when you are making anything more than a
small shelf?

Is there a cheaper place to get wood (I'm in SG1, Stevenage) or is that
normal?

I've heard about wood reclaimers yards, but I haven't got a
thicknesser/planer and can't find one nearby.

Where do y'all get your wood from?

Cheers,

Andy
Jonathan@Home

Just looked on Yell.com, not many timber merchants, 2, but a few timber
importers thought not many in SG1. Timber Yards are the cheapest place to
get lumber, up north it's Howarth Timber that I use.

Cheers
Jonathan

Andy Jeffries

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 14:34:01 +0100, RichardS wrote:
3x3 - 1.40/m
5x1 - 1.70/m

you don't quote your units for the wood. If it's 3"x3 (75mmx75mm) and 5"x1"
(25mmx125mm) then Champion's price list quotes £4.29/m and £2.33
respectively for premier planed softwood.

Blimey, then either Elmes are giving me a good price. I do indeed mean
75x75 and 25x125 (I usually work in mm, but I know most DIYers/chippies
work in old money!)

If you're after hardwood, then my experience is to be prepared for a rather
sharp pain in the wallet, if you don't have the machinery to cope with sawn,
waney-edge boards (I don't, yet...). I'm told that there is a very good
hardwood supplier in Bishop's Stortford, but I don't know the name of them
unfortunately.

Damn! Sounded good until the last half sentence :-)

Cheers,

Andy
gandalf

"Andy Jeffries" wrote in message
news

I've been looking around for some wood (to make a Woodworking bench out
of, later will be making small/simple furniture). B&Q and Homebase are
WAY expensive. I went to my local Elmes (Buildbase) and they quoted:

3x3 - 1.40/m
5x1 - 1.70/m

------------
Seems OK to me. I've just dug out my last bill from the Timber merchant that I
use and the prices are as follows:
2x4 - 1.65/m
2x6 - 2.45/m
4x4 - 3.95/m
MDF 8'x4'x18mm - 12.95 each

The wood is just pine and it is planed all round or P.S.E. as they call it now.
The dimensions are nominal and will be just under what's quoted, i.e. 2x4 is not
still 2x4 once the planer has been at it.

This still seems quite expensive when you are making anything more than a
small shelf?

------------
It's not like it grows on trees you know.

Incidentally, as you're making a bench, my bench with all the wood, the glue,
screws, some sawing to size charge for the MDF cost altogether 102.96. But I've
since spent another 20 odd quid on a vice. And boy is this bench a beast. It
will last forever (so long as it doesn't get wet). So, providing you ignore the
hundreds of pounds worth of 'got to have' power toys you'll use building it, a
home made bench is cheap.

stuart noble

Andy Jeffries wrote in message ...
Blimey, then either Elmes are giving me a good price. I do indeed mean
75x75 and 25x125 (I usually work in mm, but I know most DIYers/chippies
work in old money!)

They're probably quoting you for construction timber/studding. Sawn rather
than planed but these days it's a very good finish. You wouldn't make a
staircase out of it but fine for a bench.

RichardS

"Andy Jeffries" wrote

Snip

http://www.atkinsandcripps.co.uk/ are the suppliers in B.S.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Treatment needed for wood for breadbin? Laurie R UK diy 7 August 8th 03 11:17 AM
Glass and Wood suppliers Doki UK diy 12 August 4th 03 02:05 PM
Floating wood floor. ian UK diy 4 July 25th 03 06:44 PM
wood laminate flooring Daniel UK diy 9 July 24th 03 02:33 PM
Bending Wood ? Reteplav UK diy 7 July 23rd 03 05:44 PM