gandalf

Default Wood - why so expensive?

"Andy Jeffries" wrote in message
news

I've been looking around for some wood (to make a Woodworking bench out
of, later will be making small/simple furniture). B&Q and Homebase are
WAY expensive. I went to my local Elmes (Buildbase) and they quoted:

3x3 - 1.40/m
5x1 - 1.70/m

------------
Seems OK to me. I've just dug out my last bill from the Timber merchant that I
use and the prices are as follows:
2x4 - 1.65/m
2x6 - 2.45/m
4x4 - 3.95/m
MDF 8'x4'x18mm - 12.95 each

The wood is just pine and it is planed all round or P.S.E. as they call it now.
The dimensions are nominal and will be just under what's quoted, i.e. 2x4 is not
still 2x4 once the planer has been at it.

This still seems quite expensive when you are making anything more than a
small shelf?

It's not like it grows on trees you know.

Incidentally, as you're making a bench, my bench with all the wood, the glue,
screws, some sawing to size charge for the MDF cost altogether 102.96. But I've
since spent another 20 odd quid on a vice. And boy is this bench a beast. It
will last forever (so long as it doesn't get wet). So, providing you ignore the
hundreds of pounds worth of 'got to have' power toys you'll use building it, a
home made bench is cheap.