fred

In article , Mike Harrison
writes
The valve had a plastic cap (like a car tyre cap), and two O rings at the bottom
which have gone
hard and cracked.
The plastic cap doesn't look like it's meant to take any pressure, so I suspect that
whatever's
inside is leaking and the cap had been holding it until the O rings cracked.

Unfortunately it's buried behind pipes so I've not been able to unscrew the top bit
(which I assume
does unscrew).

It's an automatic air vent which has a float and valve assembly inside. The
valve commonly fails over time making it leak. The cap can be screwed
down to remove that risk, but if you get air into your system is may collect
in the boiler and risk damage. As a short term measure you can screw
down a new cap, but I'd replace it when you get a free moment (before
winter). They're under a fiver from a plumbers' merchant.

BTW, I know your pic was small, but this is meant to be a no binaries
group, the proper way to show one is to upload it to a free pic site & post a
link. Thin end of the wedge, blah, blah, yawn.

HTH
--
fred
Mike Harrison

Default What's this leaky thing in my boiler...? - thing.jpg (0/1)

This thing in my ferroli boiler (see attatched pic) has started leaking from the valve thing at the
top.

What is it ? It's only attatched to the water circuit, so I assume it's either a temp or pressure
relief valve.

The valve had a plastic cap (like a car tyre cap), and two O rings at the bottom which have gone
hard and cracked.
The plastic cap doesn't look like it's meant to take any pressure, so I suspect that whatever's
inside is leaking and the cap had been holding it until the O rings cracked.

Unfortunately it's buried behind pipes so I've not been able to unscrew the top bit (which I assume
does unscrew).

Should I investigate further - if something inside has broken/worn will I be able to get a
replacement, or shall I just bodge up a proper cap to seal up the top valve....?
:::Jerry::::

"Mike Harrison" wrote in message
This thing in my ferroli boiler (see attatched pic) snip

Another plank who thinks Usenet is either email or a web forum. :~(

Grunff

fred wrote:

BTW, I know your pic was small, but this is meant to be a no binaries
group, the proper way to show one is to upload it to a free pic site & post a
link. Thin end of the wedge, blah, blah, yawn.

In fact my news server kindly removed it for me, so I didn't get to see
it. This will be true for many others.

--
Grunff
Jenny Brooks

[...]

Looks like pressure release valve from top of water pump, try draining some
of the water out of your radiator system.

Jen

Suz

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"Mike Harrison" wrote in message
This thing in my ferroli boiler (see attatched pic) snip

Another plank who thinks Usenet is either email or a web forum. :~(

yap yap

:::Jerry::::

"Suz" wrote in message

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"Mike Harrison" wrote in message
This thing in my ferroli boiler (see attatched pic) snip

Another plank who thinks Usenet is either email or a web forum. :~(

yap yap

You will when your NNTP server's OS dumps uk.d-i-y because it's is led to
think that it has become a binary group due to the ignoranuses of the
world...

raden

In message , Mike Harrison
writes
What is it ? It's only attatched to the water circuit, so I assume it's
either a temp or pressure
relief valve.

The valve had a plastic cap (like a car tyre cap), and two O rings at
the bottom which have gone
hard and cracked.
The plastic cap doesn't look like it's meant to take any pressure, so I
suspect that whatever's
inside is leaking and the cap had been holding it until the O rings cracked.

Unfortunately it's buried behind pipes so I've not been able to unscrew
the top bit (which I assume
does unscrew).

Should I investigate further - if something inside has broken/worn will
I be able to get a
replacement, or shall I just bodge up a proper cap to seal up the top
valve....?

It's an automatic air vent

BTW, posting photos to this newsgroup is not appreciated, please put it
on a website and post the link in future

--
geoff
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
raden writes:

BTW, posting photos to this newsgroup is not appreciated, please put it
on a website and post the link in future

I'm intreagued because any binary was stripped out before the
original article got to my servers (which is naughty as edited
articles are not supposed to be propagated).

I wonder where that happened? Path header here reads:

news.belwue.de!feed.news.tiscali.de!newsfeed.freen et.de!
fr.ip.ndsoftware.net!proxad.net!proxad.net!62.253. 162.219.MISMATCH!
news-out.ntli.net!newsrout1.ntli.net!news-in.ntli.net!ntli.net!
newspeer1-win.ntli.net!newsfe3-gui.ntli.net.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail

so it must have been one of these (wasn't the first two, as
I run both of those).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:03:29 +0000, Mike Harrison wrote:

[...]

No picture found (which is not permitted on this NG anyway - post a reference to
a web page is the nromal procedure).

From your description I would say you are talking about an automatic air
vent. See SealedCH FAQ below.

- -
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

CM67 Optimum Start algorithm Set Square UK diy 115 February 13th 04 11:11 PM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 01:44 PM
Another heating problem question! David Hearn UK diy 9 December 12th 03 09:29 PM
Replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 38 November 13th 03 12:10 AM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 8th 03 12:34 AM