Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim...[_2_] tim...[_2_] is offline

Default Another thing about electric cars

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim... wrote:
another nail in the coffin for the "just drop by the fuel station on your
way to work for a daily fast charge" solution, for those of us who live
in
suburban streets without off street parking

There's no real reason there couldn't be lots of on street chargers. Such
things already exist. Just not enough of them, if and when electric cars
become the norm.

The reason is:

a) someone has to pay for them to be installed (usually well in advance of
the critical mass of them being needed)

b) they clutter up the street

there are three of them at the end of my street

The online apps suggest that they get used about 25% of the time (usually
during the day when people park for an hour or two to go shopping)

I suspect that no-one in the street (or the 4 surrounding streets that these
chargers serve) has bought a plug-in expecting to charge up there overnight
as, on a long term basis, 3 chargers is an insufficient number for the 200
households that surround them

tim