Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default When we get old (er)

Will we be doing any of the following:

Press the buttons on our TV Remote really hard if it doesn't do what we
want?

After locking the car with the remote, walk round and give each door 3 or 4
pulls of the door handle?

Use a Krooklock on our car despite it having an immobiliser and deadlocks?

Give the taps an extra turn to the off position every time we go near the
sink.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/16 17:03, DerbyBorn wrote:
Will we be doing any of the following:

Press the buttons on our TV Remote really hard if it doesn't do what we
want?

Already do - because my volume buttons are knackered!

After locking the car with the remote, walk round and give each door 3 or 4
pulls of the door handle?

Do that if leaving all day in a less friendly area. Partly to check all
windows are fully closed and that the doors are too. When 3 other people
just piled out, I don't like making assumptions.

Use a Krooklock on our car despite it having an immobiliser and deadlocks?

No. Last time I used one, it was on my Maxi at uni. And someone used to
still pick the door lock (not hard) and get the lock off and push the
car around the car park for a joke! So I never bothered - if students
can get the off, I dare say proper crims can too!

Give the taps an extra turn to the off position every time we go near the
sink.

I installed 1/4 turn levers to avoid that!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 16:03:17 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Will we be doing any of the following:

Press the buttons on our TV Remote really hard if it doesn't do what we
want?

What! You don't do that already? :-)

After locking the car with the remote, walk round and give each door 3
or 4 pulls of the door handle?

Never do (I might check the that the lock buttons are down or recycle
from unlocked to locked and alarmed) so can't see me breaking an
established habit.

Use a Krooklock on our car despite it having an immobiliser and
deadlocks?

I have a vague recollection that I *might* have used a crook lock on a
Reliant three wheeler nearly four decades ago but not more recently than
that, so again, not an established habit I'm likely to have any reason to
resume at any time in the future.

Give the taps an extra turn to the off position every time we go near
the sink.

Actually, that's a habit of younger people rather than us more knowing
'old timers' who know better than to prematurely wear out kitchen mixer
tap washers by needless excess compression. I've developed a well
established habit of closing such taps with the barest of sufficiency to
shut them off (knowing full well, that on mixer taps particularly,
there's a considerable latency between properly closing a tap and the
cessation of drips from their rather capacious spouts).

If such a tap doesn't seem to have been shut off sufficiently, I'll only
apply the gentlest of tweaks to 'fully close' said tap. In this case,
"sufficient" is more than enough and any more is just going to needlessly
shorten the tap washer renewal maintenance cycle. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Actually, that's a habit of younger people rather than us more
knowing
'old timers' who know better than to prematurely wear out kitchen
mixer tap washers by needless excess compression. I've developed a
well established habit of closing such taps with the barest of
sufficiency to shut them off (knowing full well, that on mixer taps
particularly, there's a considerable latency between properly closing
a tap and the cessation of drips from their rather capacious spouts).

If such a tap doesn't seem to have been shut off sufficiently, I'll
only
apply the gentlest of tweaks to 'fully close' said tap. In this case,
"sufficient" is more than enough and any more is just going to
needlessly shorten the tap washer renewal maintenance cycle. :-)

I orient the C and H marked domes so that they are in the correct
orientation when the tap is adequately turned off. Turning off a tap is
akin to placing a lid over a hole - forcing the tap closed is a sign that
all is not well - eventually the thread starts to wear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 5:03:20 PM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
Will we be doing any of the following:

Are we going to have the game of seeing who is the oldest here so that he/she can be saying they've been doing these things for 50 years !

Press the buttons on our TV Remote really hard if it doesn't do what we
want?

Don't watch telly

After locking the car with the remote, walk round and give each door 3 or 4
pulls of the door handle?

Never have - I just listen to the clunk of all the locks going over.

Use a Krooklock on our car despite it having an immobiliser and deadlocks?

What's a Krooklock ? Or am I too old ?

Give the taps an extra turn to the off position every time we go near the
sink.

Ahh - now that's a different story. Just how many times do I go to bed after my wife and have to do just that !! But then we use a kitchen mixer tap that is clearly designed for mains pressure hot water and just how often do either of us leave the hot water running because we can't hear it !!

I'll add in my pet hates of things left in passageways to be tripped over and always have to be moved, and ditto for china etc. left right on the edge of worktops and tables just waiting to be knocked to the floor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Will we be doing any of the following:

Press the buttons on our TV Remote really hard if it doesn't do what
we want?

Nope.

After locking the car with the remote, walk round and give each door
3 or 4 pulls of the door handle?

Er, yes.

Use a Krooklock on our car despite it having an immobiliser and
deadlocks?

Nope.

Give the taps an extra turn to the off position every time we go near
the sink.

Hell no.

You forgot giving the fridge door a push to make sure it is closed when you
walk past it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02-Aug-16 5:03 PM, DerbyBorn wrote:
Will we be doing any of the following:

Press the buttons on our TV Remote really hard if it doesn't do what we
want?

I rarely get to use it.

After locking the car with the remote, walk round and give each door 3 or 4
pulls of the door handle?

I am usually too far away to do that. I simply look to see if the
mirrors have folded in.

Use a Krooklock on our car despite it having an immobiliser and deadlocks?

The harder you make it for somebody to steal your car, the greater the
risk that you will get mugged for the keys. Besides, mine has a tracker.

Give the taps an extra turn to the off position every time we go near the
sink.

Difficult with 1/4 turn taps.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 16:03:17 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

After locking the car with the remote, walk round and give each door 3
or 4 pulls of the door handle?

Doing that on my car unlocks it again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rob
Graham writes

Ahh - now that's a different story. Just how many times do I go to bed
after my wife and have to do just that !! But then we use a kitchen
mixer tap that is clearly designed for mains pressure hot water and
just how often do either of us leave the hot water running because we
can't hear it !!

I check the house doors are locked.

I'll add in my pet hates of things left in passageways to be tripped
over and always have to be moved, and ditto for china etc. left right
on the edge of worktops and tables just waiting to be knocked to the
floor.

You missed the table lamp that is the only acceptable way to light the
unoccupied dining room and has to be placed just where a passing elbow
can knock it flying.

Otherwise, after nearly 48 years not counting courtship, most of the
annoyances have mellowed.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/16 18:03, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:

Hell no.

You forgot giving the fridge door a push to make sure it is closed when you
walk past it.

Do at work,

Don't at home because my fridge beeps like a whiny thing if it's not
closed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/16 19:23, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Rob
Graham writes

Ahh - now that's a different story. Just how many times do I go to
bed after my wife and have to do just that !! But then we use a
kitchen mixer tap that is clearly designed for mains pressure hot
water and just how often do either of us leave the hot water running
because we can't hear it !!

I check the house doors are locked.

Going out for 1/2 hour - don't care.

Going away for a week: check everything 600 times!

I'll add in my pet hates of things left in passageways to be tripped
over and always have to be moved, and ditto for china etc. left right
on the edge of worktops and tables just waiting to be knocked to the
floor.

You missed the table lamp that is the only acceptable way to light the
unoccupied dining room and has to be placed just where a passing elbow
can knock it flying.

Otherwise, after nearly 48 years not counting courtship, most of the
annoyances have mellowed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

Hell no.

You forgot giving the fridge door a push to make sure it is closed when you
walk past it.

Do at work,

Don't at home because my fridge beeps like a whiny thing if it's not
closed

First thing I'd do is remove the beeper. Cars that do that when lights are on annoy me to.

--
Would you like to join me in a drink?
Do you think we'll both fit?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Will we be doing any of the following:

Press the buttons on our TV Remote really hard if it doesn't do what we
want?

After locking the car with the remote, walk round and give each door 3 or 4
pulls of the door handle?

Use a Krooklock on our car despite it having an immobiliser and deadlocks?

Give the taps an extra turn to the off position every time we go near the
sink.

That's OCD not getting old (er).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 August 2016 17:38:25 UTC+1, Johnny B Good wrote:
there's a considerable latency between properly closing a tap and the
cessation of drips from their rather capacious spouts).

I always give the spout a little wiggle when the flow ceases.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

DerbyBorn wrote:

Hell no.

You forgot giving the fridge door a push to make sure it is closed when
you
walk past it.

Do at work,

Don't at home because my fridge beeps like a whiny thing if it's not
closed

First thing I'd do is remove the beeper.

More fool you. Its handy to avoid not closing it properly accidentally.

Cars that do that when lights are on annoy me to.

More fool you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

Hell no.

You forgot giving the fridge door a push to make sure it is closed when
you
walk past it.

Do at work,

Don't at home because my fridge beeps like a whiny thing if it's not
closed

First thing I'd do is remove the beeper.

More fool you. Its handy to avoid not closing it properly accidentally.

I'd fix the magnet.

Cars that do that when lights are on annoy me to.

More fool you.

I might want to leave the lights on, for example for me to see the gate or garage door I'm opening.

--
United Airlines Flight Attendant: "Ladies and Gentlemen, as you are all now painfully aware, our Captain has landed in Seattle. From all of us at United Airlines we'd like to thank you for flying with us today and please be very careful as you open the overhead bins as you may be killed by falling luggage that shifted during our so called "touch down."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

I keep a Krooklock in the car. I leave it as an exercise for the reader
as to what it's for.

I keep the 3' metal handle for opening the loft hatch behind my bedroom
door, though I can comfortably reach the catch without it :-P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

Hell no.

You forgot giving the fridge door a push to make sure it is closed
when
you
walk past it.

Do at work,

Don't at home because my fridge beeps like a whiny thing if it's not
closed

First thing I'd do is remove the beeper.

More fool you. Its handy to avoid not closing it properly accidentally.

I'd fix the magnet.

The magnet isnt broken.

Cars that do that when lights are on annoy me to.

More fool you.

I might want to leave the lights on, for example for me to see the gate or
garage door I'm opening.

Even you should be able to ignore the beeping when that happens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 20:13:21 +0100, Tim Watts

DerbyBorn wrote:

Hell no.

You forgot giving the fridge door a push to make sure it is closed
when
you
walk past it.

Do at work,

Don't at home because my fridge beeps like a whiny thing if it's not
closed

First thing I'd do is remove the beeper.

More fool you. Its handy to avoid not closing it properly accidentally.

I'd fix the magnet.

The magnet isnt broken.

If it's working, it would close easily.

Cars that do that when lights are on annoy me to.

More fool you.

I might want to leave the lights on, for example for me to see the gate or
garage door I'm opening.

Even you should be able to ignore the beeping when that happens.

No, I cannot ignore noises.

--
An elderly British gentleman of 83 arrived in Paris by plane. At the French
customs desk he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his carry-on
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

Hell no.

You forgot giving the fridge door a push to make sure it is closed
when
you
walk past it.

Do at work,

Don't at home because my fridge beeps like a whiny thing if it's not
closed

First thing I'd do is remove the beeper.

More fool you. Its handy to avoid not closing it properly accidentally.

I'd fix the magnet.

The magnet isnt broken.

If it's working, it would close easily.

But not automatically.

Cars that do that when lights are on annoy me to.

More fool you.

I might want to leave the lights on, for example for me to see the gate
or
garage door I'm opening.

Even you should be able to ignore the beeping when that happens.

No, I cannot ignore noises.

Corse you can. If someone said they would shoot you
if you didn't ignore the beeps, you'd ignore the beeps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 21:57:49 +0100, Rod Speed

DerbyBorn wrote:

Hell no.

You forgot giving the fridge door a push to make sure it is closed
when
you
walk past it.

Do at work,

Don't at home because my fridge beeps like a whiny thing if it's not
closed

First thing I'd do is remove the beeper.

More fool you. Its handy to avoid not closing it properly accidentally.

I'd fix the magnet.

The magnet isnt broken.

If it's working, it would close easily.

But not automatically.

I'm as forgetful as they come, but leaving your fridge door open has to be about as stupid as driving along with your car door open.

Cars that do that when lights are on annoy me to.

More fool you.

I might want to leave the lights on, for example for me to see the gate
or
garage door I'm opening.

Even you should be able to ignore the beeping when that happens.

No, I cannot ignore noises.

Corse you can. If someone said they would shoot you
if you didn't ignore the beeps, you'd ignore the beeps.

But they'd still annoy me.

--
It's only illegal if you're caught.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

Hell no.

You forgot giving the fridge door a push to make sure it is closed
when
you
walk past it.

Do at work,

Don't at home because my fridge beeps like a whiny thing if it's
not
closed

First thing I'd do is remove the beeper.

More fool you. Its handy to avoid not closing it properly
accidentally.

I'd fix the magnet.

The magnet isnt broken.

If it's working, it would close easily.

But not automatically.

I'm as forgetful as they come, but leaving your fridge door open has to be
about as stupid as driving along with your car door open.

Doesn't have to be left wide open so that is noticeable.

Cars that do that when lights are on annoy me to.

More fool you.

I might want to leave the lights on, for example for me to see the
gate
or
garage door I'm opening.

Even you should be able to ignore the beeping when that happens.

No, I cannot ignore noises.

Corse you can. If someone said they would shoot you
if you didn't ignore the beeps, you'd ignore the beeps.

But they'd still annoy me.

So infrequently that only a fool would disconnect the beeper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 22:48:35 +0100, Rod Speed

DerbyBorn wrote:

Hell no.

You forgot giving the fridge door a push to make sure it is closed
when
you
walk past it.

Do at work,

Don't at home because my fridge beeps like a whiny thing if it's
not
closed

First thing I'd do is remove the beeper.

More fool you. Its handy to avoid not closing it properly
accidentally.

I'd fix the magnet.

The magnet isnt broken.

If it's working, it would close easily.

But not automatically.

I'm as forgetful as they come, but leaving your fridge door open has to be
about as stupid as driving along with your car door open.

Doesn't have to be left wide open so that is noticeable.

That implies you tried to close it and failed. So like I said, you need a better magnet.

Cars that do that when lights are on annoy me to.

More fool you.

I might want to leave the lights on, for example for me to see the
gate
or
garage door I'm opening.

Even you should be able to ignore the beeping when that happens.

No, I cannot ignore noises.

Corse you can. If someone said they would shoot you
if you didn't ignore the beeps, you'd ignore the beeps.

But they'd still annoy me.

So infrequently that only a fool would disconnect the beeper.

Not if I always came home in the evening, left the lights on to get out and open the garage door, then got back in to drive the car in.

--
Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

[...]

Nope, just that you didn't close it properly.

So like I said, you need a better magnet.

Wrong, as always.

Cars that do that when lights are on annoy me to.

More fool you.

I might want to leave the lights on, for example for me to see the
gate
or
garage door I'm opening.

Even you should be able to ignore the beeping when that happens.

No, I cannot ignore noises.

Corse you can. If someone said they would shoot you
if you didn't ignore the beeps, you'd ignore the beeps.

But they'd still annoy me.

So infrequently that only a fool would disconnect the beeper.

Not if I always came home in the evening, left the lights on to get out
and open the garage door, then got back in to drive the car in.

With the wrecks you drive, sure. Makes no sense in a non wreck tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 23:21:37 +0100, Rod Speed

DerbyBorn wrote:

[...]

Best see a doctor about your lack of dexterity.

So like I said, you need a better magnet.

Wrong, as always.

You do understand magnetism?

Cars that do that when lights are on annoy me to.

More fool you.

I might want to leave the lights on, for example for me to see the
gate
or
garage door I'm opening.

Even you should be able to ignore the beeping when that happens.

No, I cannot ignore noises.

Corse you can. If someone said they would shoot you
if you didn't ignore the beeps, you'd ignore the beeps.

But they'd still annoy me.

So infrequently that only a fool would disconnect the beeper.

Not if I always came home in the evening, left the lights on to get out
and open the garage door, then got back in to drive the car in.

With the wrecks you drive, sure. Makes no sense in a non wreck tho.

Why would that make the bleeper more or less annoying?

--
Barber: "Your hair is getting grey."
Customer: "Try cutting a little faster."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 22:46:54 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Huge wrote:

I keep a Krooklock in the car. I leave it as an exercise for the reader
as to what it's for.

I keep the 3' metal handle for opening the loft hatch behind my bedroom
door, though I can comfortably reach the catch without it :-P

My son is a chef. He has a pepper mill:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000P1TQZY

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

[...]

No doctor can do anything about a lack of dexterity.

So like I said, you need a better magnet.

Wrong, as always.

You do understand magnetism?

And I understand how fridge doors work too.

Cars that do that when lights are on annoy me to.

More fool you.

I might want to leave the lights on, for example for me to see the
gate
or
garage door I'm opening.

Even you should be able to ignore the beeping when that happens.

No, I cannot ignore noises.

Corse you can. If someone said they would shoot you
if you didn't ignore the beeps, you'd ignore the beeps.

But they'd still annoy me.

So infrequently that only a fool would disconnect the beeper.

Not if I always came home in the evening, left the lights on to get out
and open the garage door, then got back in to drive the car in.

With the wrecks you drive, sure. Makes no sense in a non wreck tho.

Why would that make the bleeper more or less annoying?

No one said it did.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 23:43:32 +0100, Rod Speed

DerbyBorn wrote:

[...]

You can get creams or something.

So like I said, you need a better magnet.

Wrong, as always.

You do understand magnetism?

And I understand how fridge doors work too.

By magnetism.

Cars that do that when lights are on annoy me to.

More fool you.

I might want to leave the lights on, for example for me to see the
gate
or
garage door I'm opening.

Even you should be able to ignore the beeping when that happens.

No, I cannot ignore noises.

Corse you can. If someone said they would shoot you
if you didn't ignore the beeps, you'd ignore the beeps.

But they'd still annoy me.

So infrequently that only a fool would disconnect the beeper.

Not if I always came home in the evening, left the lights on to get out
and open the garage door, then got back in to drive the car in.

With the wrecks you drive, sure. Makes no sense in a non wreck tho.

Why would that make the bleeper more or less annoying?

No one said it did.

Then what was your point?

--
A single blonde pregnant girl goes to the grocery store. A couple that she knows notices she's pregnant.
The lady asks her, "Whose baby is it?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2016 17:09, Tim Watts wrote:
On 02/08/16 17:03, DerbyBorn wrote:
Will we be doing any of the following:

Press the buttons on our TV Remote really hard if it doesn't do what we
want?

Already do - because my volume buttons are knackered!

Now there's a really simple DIY job right there.

Carefully "fiddling" your way around the seam of the remote you'll
eventually workout where the internal clips hide (4 most likely)and
which direction to ease them with a fine bladed tool to split the case.

Once you have the remote in half(s) the conductive "rubber" key-pad can
be lifted off as a complete sheet and you'll spot the dirty contacts on
the PCB.
Give them all a wipe with your preferred cleaning solvent (Think I used
nail varnish remover last time) and clean the contact side of the rubber
buttons while you're at it.

Reassemble and your remote is good as new once more.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote
in message ...
[...]

With some of'em, with solvent, you'll totally screw the carbon tracks/pads,
ebay here we come.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oh look, chuckle brothers again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2016 21:15, Mike Lander wrote:

That's OCD not getting old (er).

OCD now there's a topic that deserves it's very own thread...

1 - Always turning back around once you've left the car and pinging the
remote to see the indicators flash (for those of us without auto folding
mirrors)

2 - having to re-arrange the dishwasher every day because "they" have
put randomly intermingled cutlery in the cutlery drawer or put a small
plate between 2 big plates etc.

3 - re-hanging all the washing on the airer with nylons on the bottom
rungs and cottons on the top rungs... grouping socks together in pairs
and oh so many other things I'd be listing them all night.

I find it odd that I'm OCD to the tiniest degree with stuff like cable
runs, clip spacing and stuff like that but my work space whether it be
paperwork or tools looks like we've been burgled....

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2016 01:26, bm wrote:

With some of'em, with solvent, you'll totally screw the carbon tracks/pads,
ebay here we come.

I was going to say "soapy water" but haven't ever used soapy water
myself but yes it's something to be wary of.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote
in message ...
[...]

Nah, you're playing at it -
You forgot about looking at all the switched 13A sockets 8 or 16 times,
on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off or multiples of 8 and looking away before the
switches have time to change their minds.
Looking at the knobs on the gas cooker, 1 2 3 4 5 6, 1 2 3 4 5 6.
Triple checking the door locks, again 8 times.
Checking that the toaster socket is off in case it might operate its own
button.
Checking that the dog is still in the building, oh yea, and the wife.
Years ago I should've had a checklist, these days I've given up all that
crap, I just go to bed ****ed
With old age comes "******** to it" (in my case).
..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

[...]

None that do a damned thing about dexterity.

So like I said, you need a better magnet.

Wrong, as always.

You do understand magnetism?

And I understand how fridge doors work too.

By magnetism.

There is more involved than just magnetism.

[...]

What was yours ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes

1 - Always turning back around once you've left the car and pinging the
remote to see the indicators flash (for those of us without auto folding
mirrors)

2 - having to re-arrange the dishwasher every day because "they" have
put randomly intermingled cutlery in the cutlery drawer or put a small
plate between 2 big plates etc.

3 - re-hanging all the washing on the airer with nylons on the bottom
rungs and cottons on the top rungs... grouping socks together in pairs
and oh so many other things I'd be listing them all night.

You've got a spycam in my house, haven't you? :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 01:28:31 +0100, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

[...]

None of which is OCD. OCD is when you find it hard to conduct a normal
life because of much more pronounced versions of the above.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/16 01:14, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
On 02/08/2016 17:09, Tim Watts wrote:

Already do - because my volume buttons are knackered!

Now there's a really simple DIY job right there.

Carefully "fiddling" your way around the seam of the remote you'll
eventually workout where the internal clips hide (4 most likely)and
which direction to ease them with a fine bladed tool to split the case.

Once you have the remote in half(s) the conductive "rubber" key-pad can
be lifted off as a complete sheet and you'll spot the dirty contacts on
the PCB.
Give them all a wipe with your preferred cleaning solvent (Think I used
nail varnish remover last time) and clean the contact side of the rubber
buttons while you're at it.

Reassemble and your remote is good as new once more.

I'll try that - ta.

I used to think it was the conductive layer wearing off that caused
failure, not dirt.