Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default When we get old (er)

On Thursday, 11 August 2016 10:54:43 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 10 August 2016 19:50:59 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 00:56:42 +0100, Johnny B Good
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 19:51:33 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 09/08/2016 19:44, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 19:35:54 +0100, Bod wrote:

====snip====

Yuk!

What's yuk about it?

Piling up dirty dishes.

Yeah, my thought too. It's bad enough piling up dirty dishes *into*
the
dishwasher but to consider piling them up on the draining board is
beyond
the pale imho.

Do you have OCD?

A friend has it so I know the effects it can have.

Do you wash your hands 30 times a day?

N ot iunless I go to teh toilet 30 times a day.

Which you obviously do being such a ****ty person.

Only to flush your **** where it belongs.

It's just a small amount of food that soon dries out, it doesn't smell..

What has smell go to do with it. Do you think food poisening is
trnasmitted by smell do you think ecoli is transmitted by smelling ?

You dont get food poisoning when you wash them in a dishwasher.

really.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/heal...ller-bugs.html

Do yuo think leaving a dirty plate in a diushwasher for a week is such a good idea, I'd rather wash it before the food rots.

It's the emptying of the cleaned dishes and cutlery *out* of the
dishwasher which both me and the missus find a bit of a chore. Filling
the dishwasher seems less of a pain (unless your other half is hell
bent
on sabotaging your efforts at honing your skills as a "Load Master")..

If you use your crockery from the dishwasher, there's hardly any to take
out by the time you do the next load.

IS the dishwasher the best place to store clean and dirty plates side by
side

He doesnt do that.

How do you know. idf he or anyone isn;.t wasting time taking stuff from teh dishwahser and putting it in cupboards.

I guess one way to eliminate the "Putting the dishes away" problem is
install *two* dishwasher machines[1] so you can alternate between them
as
a clean dishes 'source' and a dirty dishes 'sink' - no need for a full
size dishes/crockery cupboard[2] then! :-)

Why would you need that? I just use the clean ones in the dishwasher
while the dirty ones pile up on the sink.

Is piling a weeks worth of dishes up in the sink a good option I wouldn't have thought so.

For me the sink is the place where I get clean drinking water
usually by putting a pint class under the cold tap, if there;s
plates piled up I can't get the glass under the tap.

He said ON the sink, not IN the sink, stupid.

How can yuo put thinks on a sink if it;s not in the sink.
Maybe it;s your american language but in the UK we have a sink which is the sucken bit of teh unit where you put the water, the bit next to it is called teh draining board.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 11 August 2016 01:35:12 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 16:18:38 +0100, whisky-dave
wrote:

On Wednesday, 10 August 2016 15:18:30 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 10:23:48 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , James Wilkinson
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 20:50:23 +0100, Tim Streater

wrote:

Your method is too much of a faff. We just load as we go and
empty
once
its run overnight.

But you have to open the dishwasher and pull the tray out for
every
single
dish. Much less time consuming to do all the loading in one go.

No, once per meal.

You never have snacks? Are you that regimented?

I had 2 wagon wheels and two toffee kit-kats for breakfat what exactly
needs going in the dishwasher ?

if I have soemn snakes tonigh it'll be a cake of some sort of a packet
of
crips, I had worchester sauce again I found no need for a dishwasher
didn;t even find need for a plate, although I wish I had a machine to
automatically open the bags for me, it would save lots of time and
probbly cheaper than opening them myself ;-P

Can you tell, me what snacks need a dishwasher ?

Well I stick things in the dirty dishes pile many times a day.

Makes more sense to use the same plate for snacks until
it gets too dirty to use if you are into messy snacks.

why wait until it gets too dirty ?

Because it works fine when it isnt.

and how do you judge too dirty.

I told you in the next para.

I use the same plate repeatedly for the massive great
slab of multigrain toast with marg and my marmalade
that is my only breakfast and only get a clean plate
when some of the marg has leaked thru the hole that
the paddle makes in the bread machine or when some
or the marmalade has fallen off onto the plate.

You see if I found a bit of marg or whatever on the plate
I;d get a kitchen towel or something and wipe it off,

Doesnt happen enough to bother.

i'd take me a few seconds why would I put it in the dishwaher and
leave it for a week+ then take 30+ minutes waiting for it to be washed ?

Because it gets washed a lot better and even a terminal ****wit such
as yourself should have noticed that you can do anything you like while
it is being washed. It takes less time to drop the dirty one in the
dishwasher
and grab a new clean one that to get the marg/marm off the dirty one.

reams of your even sillier **** flushed where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yep, really.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/heal...ller-bugs.html

Just because some fool journo claims something to flog newspapers...

Do yuo think leaving a dirty plate in a diushwasher for a week is such a
good idea,

Yep, when they are washed they are much cleaner than you can ever do
manually.

I'd rather wash it before the food rots.

There is no food to rot.

It's the emptying of the cleaned dishes and cutlery *out* of the
dishwasher which both me and the missus find a bit of a chore.
Filling
the dishwasher seems less of a pain (unless your other half is hell
bent
on sabotaging your efforts at honing your skills as a "Load
Master").

If you use your crockery from the dishwasher, there's hardly any to
take
out by the time you do the next load.

IS the dishwasher the best place to store clean and dirty plates side
by
side

He doesnt do that.

How do you know.

He's said that.

idf he or anyone isn;.t wasting time taking stuff
from teh dishwahser and putting it in cupboards.

He says he stacks the dirty stuff on the sink.

I guess one way to eliminate the "Putting the dishes away" problem
is
install *two* dishwasher machines[1] so you can alternate between
them
as
a clean dishes 'source' and a dirty dishes 'sink' - no need for a
full
size dishes/crockery cupboard[2] then! :-)

Why would you need that? I just use the clean ones in the dishwasher
while the dirty ones pile up on the sink.

Is piling a weeks worth of dishes up in the sink

He said ON the sink, not IN the sink.

a good option I wouldn't have thought so.

Not a shred of evidence that you are actually capable of thought.

For me the sink is the place where I get clean drinking water
usually by putting a pint class under the cold tap, if there;s
plates piled up I can't get the glass under the tap.

He said ON the sink, not IN the sink, stupid.

How can yuo put thinks on a sink if it;s not in the sink.

On the draining areas beside the sink, ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 August 2016 21:08:50 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 4 August 2016 09:01:42 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
On 04/08/2016 08:49, Andy Burns wrote:
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

apparently "they don't make dishes
anymore" so we only have deep bowls

My (not ancient) crockery has rice bowls and cereal dishes,
find
the
rice bowls far better for cereal, than the cereal bowls
which
are
too
shallow and slosh out the sides to easily.

you'll appreciate the havoc that
causes trying to load the machine efficiently

Not really, no space for a washdisher here.

Washing up by hand only takes about 3 or 4 minutes with just
the
two
of
us.

Even less with takeways. :-)

A Fishwasher is a waste of money to us and simply something
else
go
wrong, also takes up unnecessary space.

I cod do with one when I'm really lazy

Can't see why I should be doing what a machine can do for me.

for me it depends on the machine.

It actually depends on how much work is involved in doing it by
hand.

If it were significanlty less hassle then I'd think about a machine
but for me it wouldn;t be significanlty less hassle to have a
dishwasher.

Corse it would if you use it properly. Leave it open, put stuff in it
after
you have used it. When its something like full, close the door and run
it.

How long will it take to fill ?

In my case normally 9-10 days depending on what I've had for the
evening meal. Its basically full when all the full sized dinner plates
are dirty and the time that takes to happen varys a little depending
on what I have had for dinner. I dont use a full sized dinner plate
with every evening meal.

So you basically have a 9 or 10 set dinner service

Nope, I buy the large dinner plates as individual plates, Corelles.

So how many do you need for the week ?

which you go through before you start washing up.

Yes, once there are no more clean ones, I do a dishwasher
run with the dishwasher mostly full when I do it like that.

So how many plates, cups spoons, dishes do you need. ?

You see if I have a meal after I finshed it goes in the sink,
next time I need a similar plate I pick it from teh sink wash it,

More fool you.

why, what's the point on leaving it in a dishwasher all week and having to get another plate.

it really deosn;t take me 10 mins it gets a
wash rinse and sits draining I don;t wipe up.

Still a lot more farting around than just putting it in the
dishwasher .

No it''s not for me, an idiuot lijke you might think it is less hassle but then what about the hassle of havign so many plates to store and buy.

and then when there are no more clean largest
dinner plates, closing the dishwasher and start it running.

So you can;t eat until teh plates clean in sometime in 30 mins time.

By the time my meal is reay the plates pretty
much dry even in the winter and I reuse that plate.

Many of my meals have the potato still in its
jackets microwaved on the plate the meal will be
eaten off, under a plastic cover in the microwave.

Isn;t the cover in teh dishwasher because you used it yesterday and the plate and the knife and fork and teh cup that you drank from.

What you seem to be saying is that you you donlt
wash anything until you have a full dish washer

Yes.

How many plates knives and forks is that then.

Surely you;d be betetr off buying extar dish washers thenb start them all off at the same time then you could wash a years loads of dishes in 30 mins, not that would be fasgter than me.

for me that will mean I'll have to buy another 10 plates

Hardly the end of civilisation as we know it.

But a waste of money space and resourses.
I noticed on my recyle site that there;'s 30s electric cookers being offerexd for free. I'll, let you kkno if 30 dishwashers appear then you won;t have to wash up for perhaps 6 months and then it'll only take you 30 mins to wash all those dishes.

and as I have 5 ort so cups of tea in the evening

More fool you.

that means I'l have to buy at least
25 cups to last me the week,

Or you could chose to do the dishwasher run
when its full of dirty cups.

So how many dirty cups does it take to fill a dishwasher ?

instead of the largest
dinner plates if you are such a tea addict.

No wonder you end up washing your hands 30 times a day.

I don't.
Why do you wait a week before washing your hands. ?

it really isn't that difficult to wash a cup,
I do NOT need a dishwasher to do it.

I dont need a dishwasher to wash anything, but I have better things
do to with my time than to do stuff a machine does much better.

I have better things to do with my time than fill a dishwasher and have to wait a week to switch it on. I don;t want to get home on a wednesday and not be able to have a cup of tea because my 15 mugs are all in teh ishwasher which I can;t use until the end of the week so I have to go out and buy another 30+ mugs, same with plates.

What I would prefer is someone to fill my cup for me
as that takes me longer to do than the washing.

I'm not actually stupid enough to drink that much tea.

Well you're stupid enough to do many other things so you're not missing out on being stupid.
what wrong with drinking 5 cups of tea a day.

Even if your kitchen is so badly designed that you can't leave it open
even you should be able to manage to open the door to put some
more stuff in it after the meal and to close the door after doing that.

yes but what's the point.

The point is not ****ing 10 minutes of your time
against the wall washing up by hand after each meal.

It take sme a couple of minutes at most

Still a complete waste of time.

not as big awaste as 30mins+

how long does a dishwasher take 30 mins +

Irrelevant because even a terminal drunken ****wit such
as yourself should have noticed that you can do anything
you like while that dishwasher is washing what is inside it.

but I can;t have a cup of tea or eat because all my plaates and cups are in the dishwasher.

I have alsom found that I don;t need a lareg array of knives.
I find the knife I use with my fish a chips can also be used for
spreading butter or magarine, it can cut burgers, cheese all
sorts of things, so I havent; found a need for lots of cultery
such as fish knives steak knives butter knives.

I prefer to use the appropriate knife for the job.

I find most knives can be used for most things.

Corse they can, but anyone with even half a clue uses the
sort of knife what works best for what they are doing.

Most use the knife that is avaiible. if it;'s too difficult they tend to buy a better knife for the job, but they are unlikely to buy dozens of them because they only wash them in the dishwasher once a week.
How many butter knives to you have and do you have a seperate marmalade knife ?

Only a terminal ****wit such as yourself would try cutting a piece
of bread off a loaf from the bread machine with a butter knife.

I wouldn't have to, you would as your bread knife was used this morning and it;'s now in the dishwasher so you have to find another knofe or go a buy a new bread knife how many bread knives do you have/need ?

I use steak knives for eating most evening meals,

what happens when you;'ve used the steak
knife can you have steak again that week

I can in fact have normal meals all that
two weeks because I have dozens of them.

you'd need more than dozens

One dozen is 12 (unless you're a baker by trade) .
3 meals a day so that's only enough for 4 days not two weeks.

but prefer a proper knife for spreading the marg and marm
on the ****ing great slab of toast that is all I have for breakfast
and for the spreading the marg and relish on the massive
great salami and lettuce open sandwich that I often have
from the dome cut off the vertical loaf with the bread
fresh out of the bread machine.

and what ghappens to this knife after it gets put in teh dishwasher

Nothing, there are plenty more like it.

more foo, you I don;t need to duplicate everything so many times over
because I can reuse things even withing the hour where as you have to wait 2 weeks.

And since this is the best you can manage, here
goes the chain on the rest of your even sillier ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

[...]

A bit less than one a day because some evening meals dont use one.

which you go through before you start washing up.

Yes, once there are no more clean ones, I do a dishwasher
run with the dishwasher mostly full when I do it like that.

So how many plates,

Currently 9 large dinner plates, about 5 smaller plates,
about 5 of the smallest plates. Most dishwasher runs
only all the largest dinner plates need to be washed.

cups

None.

spoons,

Very few, unusual to use more a couple per dishwasher run.

dishes

Just a couple of those, mostly for the stuff like lettuce when having pizza
etc.

do you need. ?

You see if I have a meal after I finshed it goes in the sink,
next time I need a similar plate I pick it from teh sink wash it,

More fool you.

why, what's the point on leaving it in a dishwasher
all week and having to get another plate.

Because its a lot easier to do that than to
wash what has been used after every meal.

it really deosn;t take me 10 mins it gets a
wash rinse and sits draining I don;t wipe up.

Still a lot more farting around than just putting it in the dishwasher .

No it''s not for me,

Even sillier than you usually manage and since this is the best you
can manage, here goes the chain on the rest of your ****.

You were warned.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/11/2016 6:52 AM, whisky-dave wrote:

Maybe it;s your american language but in the UK we have a sink which is the sucken bit of teh unit where you put the water, the bit next to it is called teh draining board.

The troll to whom you are responding isn't American, he's Australian.
And sensible people have him blocked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

[...]

but some meals do it seems and what if you have company....

You see I only needed to buy 4 large dinner plates, probbaley didn't really need 4, but these things tend to come in sets of 4 or more.

if I had a dishwasher I;d need to buy two sets or more or as you have done buy 9 large plates and perhaps over 100 cups.

why, what's the point on leaving it in a dishwasher
all week and having to get another plate.

Because its a lot easier to do that than to
wash what has been used after every meal.

But I don't have to do it after every meal just when I want to re-use the item,
with a spoon that takes as little as 10 seconds rather than 30 mins at the end of the week or month.

it really deosn;t take me 10 mins it gets a
wash rinse and sits draining I don;t wipe up.

Still a lot more farting around than just putting it in the dishwasher
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 08:42:01 +0100
Tim Lamb wrote:

Our use is as above but I cheated and connected the supply to the hot
water feed which comes from an ion exchange softener. We have a low
pressure hot water cistern and long pipe runs so I reckoned the fill
water would be lukewarm at best.

I had wondered about doing that, as the two pipes are close together
under the sink, but since what I have seems to work fine, why bother?
Consider it Plan B if Plan A ever fails.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 11 August 2016 13:19:52 UTC+1, S Viemeister wrote:
On 8/11/2016 6:52 AM, whisky-dave wrote:

Maybe it;s your american language but in the UK we have a sink which is the sucken bit of teh unit where you put the water, the bit next to it is called teh draining board.

The troll to whom you are responding isn't American, he's Australian.

He speaks Americain not English he was taught america in school NOT english.
My french flatmate went to Australia and teh montessori school wanted her because she spoke and taught in English not america which is what most australians get taught.
he mostly uses amaerica spelling check out his post for teh word thru amonst others.

And sensible people have him blocked.

Yes I'm sure they do, they might also have blocked Hitler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 11 August 2016 12:11:44 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 11 August 2016 10:54:43 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

You dont get food poisoning when you wash them in a dishwasher.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/11/2016 8:57 AM, whisky-dave wrote:

He speaks Americain not English he was taught america in school NOT english.
My french flatmate went to Australia and teh montessori school wanted her because she spoke and taught in English not america which is what most australians get taught.
he mostly uses amaerica spelling check out his post for teh word thru amonst others.

You, of all people, shouldn't criticise other folk's spelling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 11 August 2016 14:00:59 UTC+1, wrote:
On Thursday, 11 August 2016 12:11:44 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 11 August 2016 10:54:43 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

You dont get food poisoning when you wash them in a dishwasher.

really.

Yep, really.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/heal...ller-bugs.html

Just because some fool journo claims something to flog newspapers...

This article is junk grade journalism. There are bugs of most types everywhere, including E coli etc. It's not news and it's not useful information to say we found them on another spot somewhere.

NT

Yes it is because there are fools on here that think because they use a dishwasher that's their guarantee the bugs are all gone and everything is clean.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 11 August 2016 14:10:20 UTC+1, S Viemeister wrote:
On 8/11/2016 8:57 AM, whisky-dave wrote:

He speaks Americain not English he was taught america in school NOT english.
My french flatmate went to Australia and teh montessori school wanted her because she spoke and taught in English not america which is what most australians get taught.
he mostly uses amaerica spelling check out his post for teh word thru amonst others.

You, of all people, shouldn't criticise other folk's spelling.

I'm not criticising his spelling, but it shows who taught him English that's all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 19:35:54 +0100, wrote:

====snip====

Yuk!

What's yuk about it?

Piling up dirty dishes.

Yeah, my thought too. It's bad enough piling up dirty dishes *into*
the
dishwasher but to consider piling them up on the draining board is
beyond the pale imho.

====snip====

Considering the advantages of becoming a "Two Dishwasher Family"
(convenience, redundancy and reduced damage risk to the "Best
Crockery"),
I'm surprised it isn't a common theme in the more spacious family home
kitchen these days.

There is a two drawer dishwasher available (Fisher and Paytel
IIRC). Having used it, I can assure you that it is totally crap for
traditional unit. Two dishwashers are appealing, but only if mounted at
waist level to avoid the getting to the back low down area.

I rather suspected such two drawer dishwashers were likely to be crap.
Unfortunately, the drop down door would be a bit of an impediment to
waist level mounting a couple of full size machines due to their larger
size compared to a drop down oven door.

Still, it was just a thought. I wonder if anyone has actually road
tested such an arrangement? It's one of those ideas that seem fine on
paper but until it's tested, might well have more cons than pros in the
harsh light of practice.

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 09:10:20 -0400, S Viemeister wrote:

On 8/11/2016 8:57 AM, whisky-dave wrote:

He speaks Americain not English he was taught america in school NOT
english.
My french flatmate went to Australia and teh montessori school wanted
her because she spoke and taught in English not america which is what
most australians get taught.
he mostly uses amaerica spelling check out his post for teh word thru
amonst others.

You, of all people, shouldn't criticise other folk's spelling.

APPLAUSE! :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 11 August 2016 16:01:35 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 11 August 2016 14:00:59 UTC+1, tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 11 August 2016 12:11:44 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 11 August 2016 10:54:43 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

You dont get food poisoning when you wash them in a dishwasher.

really.

Yep, really.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/heal...ller-bugs.html

Just because some fool journo claims something to flog newspapers...

This article is junk grade journalism. There are bugs of most types everywhere, including E coli etc. It's not news and it's not useful information to say we found them on another spot somewhere.

Yes it is because there are fools on here that think because they use a dishwasher that's their guarantee the bugs are all gone and everything is clean.

Nothing's perfect but they're way cleaner than handwashing. I know from experiencing a fair few people's handwashing, which varies from variable to dismal.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

And completely trivial to check if there is any black
mould on the door seals. There isnt with my dishwasher.

I know from experiencing a fair few people's
handwashing, which varies from variable to dismal.

And never gets within a bulls roar of the gleaming
result you get with the best dishwashers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Thursday, 11 August 2016 16:01:35 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 11 August 2016 14:00:59 UTC+1, tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 11 August 2016 12:11:44 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 11 August 2016 10:54:43 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

You don't get food poisoning when you wash them in a dishwasher.

really.

Yep, really.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/heal...shwashers-harb
our-killer-bugs.html

Just because some fool journo claims something to flog newspapers...

This article is junk grade journalism. There are bugs of most types
everywhere, including E coli etc. It's not news and it's not useful
information to say we found them on another spot somewhere.

Yes it is because there are fools on here that think because they use a
dishwasher that's their guarantee the bugs are all gone and everything
is clean.

Nothing's perfect but they're way cleaner than handwashing. I know from
experiencing a fair few people's handwashing, which varies from variable
to dismal.

NT

They are *not* cleaner than my handwashing. Which includes inspection,
rinsing and further inspection for non-wetted areas as well as visible
residue.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message

[...]

Yes they are, MUCH cleaner.

Which includes inspection, rinsing and further inspection
for non-wetted areas as well as visible residue.

And nothing even remotely like as gleaming
clean as the best of the dishwashers produce.

Completely trivial to pick what has been done in the best
of the dishwashers with a proper double blind trial.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

No, I'm in the UK too and I said "draining board" or "by the sink" or some such thing.

--
Saying that she is promiscuous is an understatement.
She'll go zero to sixty-nine in under fifteen seconds."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johnny B Good wrote:

[...]

A 2/3rds height drawer machine might be feasible. The two drawer unit
was too shallow to stack sensibly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 21:23:58 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Roger Hayter
wrote:
They are *not* cleaner than my handwashing. Which includes inspection,
rinsing and further inspection for non-wetted areas as well as visible
residue.

Almost certainly they are. For one thing, the water temperature will be
much higher, typically, then your hands can stand. Second, what d'ye
actually use to wipe the dirty dish with? SWMBO insists on using a
dishcloth (as do most vemales, near as I can tell), rather than a brush,
which has at least some chance of not having previous food on it. A
cloth will always be riddled with germs, too, even though SWMBO does
boil it in bleach from time to time.

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why is there salt in washing up liquid, then?

I thought it was to thicken it.

Early detergents (teepol anyone?) were very thin liquids.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum wrote:
Why is there salt in washing up liquid, then?

I thought it was to thicken it.

Right.

Early detergents (teepol anyone?) were very thin liquids.

Why would you want to thicken it if doing so serves no purpose? Could sort
of understand that with a bleach or whatever that you'd want to stick to
the toilet - but washing up liquid you want to dissolve in the water?

--
*Does fuzzy logic tickle? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-08-11, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Roger Hayter

On Thursday, 11 August 2016 16:01:35 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

Yes it is because there are fools on here that think because they use a
dishwasher that's their guarantee the bugs are all gone and everything
is clean.

Nothing's perfect but they're way cleaner than handwashing. I know from
experiencing a fair few people's handwashing, which varies from variable
to dismal.

They are *not* cleaner than my handwashing. Which includes inspection,
rinsing and further inspection for non-wetted areas as well as visible
residue.

Almost certainly they are.

Of course they are. Hayter's an idiot.

And how much of the dishwasher shine is due to shiny chemicals
deliberately deposited on the glasses etc?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-08-11, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Roger Hayter

[...]

None of it is and you can trivially prove that spectrographically.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/16 22:11, polygonum wrote:
Why is there salt in washing up liquid, then?

I thought it was to thicken it.

Early detergents (teepol anyone?) were very thin liquids.

real detergent is colorless odorless and of very low viscosity. And cots
a couple of pence a litre to make. Teepol is about right.

My chemistry master used to work for Unilever....color, polystyrene
beads, foaming agents and smells are added to make a 'marketable product'

This is 'Ajax'.

http://www.colgate.com/app/Colgate/U...al-Orange.cvsp

Water Consistency
Ammonium C12-C15 Pareth Sulfate Cleaning and Foaming Agent
Lauramidopropylamine Oxide Cleaning and Foaming Agent
SD Alcohol 3-A Controls Thickness and Clarity
Sodium Chloride Controls Thickness
Poloxamer 124 Controls Thickness
Fragrance Pleasant Scent
Preservative Maintains Product Freshness
Pentasodium Pentetate Maintains Product Stability
Sodium Bisulfite Maintains Product Stability
Dyes Color

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
polygonum wrote:

Early detergents (teepol anyone?) were very thin liquids.

Why would you want to thicken it if doing so serves no purpose?

I suspect that years of marketing have convinced the public that thicker
is better. Domestos used to be advertised as thick, so perhaps shoppers
think that washing up liquid etc. should also be thick.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Aug 2016 00:39:47 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 06 Aug 2016 21:13:17 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Thu, 04 Aug 2016 00:08:33 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 22:25:37 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 21:34:42 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 20:34:34 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 02:28:02 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 00:31:42 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 00:03:11 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 23:43:32 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in
message
news On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 23:21:37 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in
message
news On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 22:48:35 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in
message
news On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 21:57:49 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in
message
news On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 20:13:21 +0100, Tim Watts

wrote:

On 02/08/16 18:03, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:

Hell no.

You forgot giving the fridge door a push to make
sure
it
is
closed
when
you
walk past it.

Do at work,

Don't at home because my fridge beeps like a
whiny
thing
if
it's
not
closed

First thing I'd do is remove the beeper.

More fool you. Its handy to avoid not closing it
properly
accidentally.

I'd fix the magnet.

The magnet isnt broken.

If it's working, it would close easily.

But not automatically.

I'm as forgetful as they come, but leaving your fridge
door
open
has
be
about as stupid as driving along with your car door
open.

Doesn't have to be left wide open so that is noticeable.

That implies you tried to close it and failed.

Nope, just that you didn't close it properly.

Best see a doctor about your lack of dexterity.

No doctor can do anything about a lack of dexterity.

You can get creams or something.

None that do a damned thing about dexterity.

Don't they do creams for arthritis?

Nothing to do with dexterity.

People with arthritis are not dexterous.

But when the lack of dexterity has nothing to do
with arthritis, the cream will do absolutely nothing.

You said "No doctor can do anything about a lack of dexterity" - yet
most
loss of dexterity in old age is due to arthritis.

Bull**** it is.

Show detailed stats

Go and **** yourself.

Then I shall assume your belief is incorrect.

Your stupid assumptions are your problem, as always.

No, they are your problem.

Nope.

You failed to convince me of your point.

You have always been, and always will be, completely and utterly
irrelevant. What you may or may not be convinced of in spades.

I'm still waiting.

So like I said, you need a better magnet.

Wrong, as always.

You do understand magnetism?

And I understand how fridge doors work too.

By magnetism.

There is more involved than just magnetism.

No.

Yep, there is also how the hinge system works.

WD40 it then.

Nothing to do with what WD40 is good for.

If the hinge is stiff, WD40 will help.

And when it isnt, it wont.

When it isn't, it doesn't prevent the door closing.

Wrong, as always.

Then what else can go wrong with a hinge?

The bit the axle part turns in shifts.

In English please.

The bit the axle part turns in, shifts.

Never seen a fridge do that. Try not swinging on it.

Cars that do that when lights are on annoy me to.

More fool you.

I might want to leave the lights on, for example for
me
see
the
gate
or
garage door I'm opening.

Even you should be able to ignore the beeping when
that
happens.

No, I cannot ignore noises.

Corse you can. If someone said they would shoot you
if you didn't ignore the beeps, you'd ignore the beeps.

But they'd still annoy me.

So infrequently that only a fool would disconnect the
beeper.

Not if I always came home in the evening, left the lights
on
get
out
and open the garage door, then got back in to drive the
car
in.

With the wrecks you drive, sure. Makes no sense in a non
wreck
tho.

Why would that make the bleeper more or less annoying?

No one said it did.

Then what was your point?

What was yours ?

That a beep every dark evening would **** me off.

And only a fool would cut the beeper in other than a wreck.

Anyone sensible would cut it when they don't need it.

But it isnt the only time it needs to beep.

Yes it is.

Wrong, as always.

Why else would your car beep?

Whenever anything has gone wrong.

Different beepers. Different noise.

Not anymore.

Dunno, I'm not stupid enough to buy new cars.

But are stupid enough to get stuck with **** that has to be disabled so
crudely.

Not crudely, but simply.

****ing crudely when it can no longer beep about anything anymore.

I don't want ****ing beeps!

And usually it's a plug in thing in the fuse and relay box, so
you're
not damaging the car.

But it can't beep when it needs to if you remove it.

I don't want it to beep.

More fool you.

I know when my lights are on because they're lighting up the ground
in
front of the ****ing car!

Not when you have turned them on when it was dark,
had the sun come up while using the car, and then
stop using the car rather later.

I'd switch them off when it began to get light, while I was still
driving.

Plenty don't, hence the reminder.

****wits.

You've never ever forgotten to do anything, ever ? Yeah, right.

Not things I do regularly.

Don't believe that.

I always clean my teeth. In fact if I need to remember to do something tomorrow morning, I put a note on my toothbrush.

It's part of driving the car and is automatic.

Not necessarily when something else unusual happens at the
same time like say when an animal is in the way when driving in.

Turning off lights happens as part of stopping and getting out of the car.

I'm no more likely to forget it than indicating.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Why do you believe this?

--
What is the difference between a female jogger and a sewing machine?
A sewing machine only has one bobbin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 00:03:11 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in
message

DerbyBorn wrote:

[...]

You're sposed to hold your breath, child.

So like I said, you need a better magnet.

Wrong, as always.

You do understand magnetism?

And I understand how fridge doors work too.

By magnetism.

There is more involved than just magnetism.

No.

Yep, there is also how the hinge system works.

WD40 it then.

Nothing to do with what WD40 is good for.

If the hinge is stiff, WD40 will help.

And when it isnt, it wont.

When it isn't, it doesn't prevent the door closing.

Wrong, as always.

Then what else can go wrong with a hinge?

The bit the axle part turns in shifts.

In English please.

The bit the axle part turns in, shifts.

Never seen a fridge do that.

Then you need to get out more.

[...]

More fool you when its something important that needs some action.

[...]

Pathetic.

Bull****.

I'm no more likely to forget it than indicating.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Why do you believe this?

I know that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 00:03:11 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in
message

DerbyBorn wrote:

[...]

Kinky.

So like I said, you need a better magnet.

Wrong, as always.

You do understand magnetism?

And I understand how fridge doors work too.

By magnetism.

There is more involved than just magnetism.

No.

Yep, there is also how the hinge system works.

WD40 it then.

Nothing to do with what WD40 is good for.

If the hinge is stiff, WD40 will help.

And when it isnt, it wont.

When it isn't, it doesn't prevent the door closing.

Wrong, as always.

Then what else can go wrong with a hinge?

The bit the axle part turns in shifts.

In English please.

The bit the axle part turns in, shifts.

Never seen a fridge do that.

Then you need to get out more.

Fridges are usually in not out.

[...]

That's what warning lights are for.

[...]

It's second nature. No more likely to forget it than applying the handbrake.

I'm no more likely to forget it than indicating.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Why do you believe this?

I know that.

Explain.

--
The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:

Early detergents (teepol anyone?) were very thin liquids.

Why would you want to thicken it if doing so serves no purpose?

I suspect that years of marketing have convinced the public that thicker
is better. Domestos used to be advertised as thick, so perhaps shoppers
think that washing up liquid etc. should also be thick.

Maybe it's time to up the marketing stratagy to the 21st century we want washing up liquid with AI (artifical inteligence) we don't want thick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 19:51:33 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 09/08/2016 19:44, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 19:35:54 +0100, Bod wrote:

====snip====

Yuk!

What's yuk about it?

Piling up dirty dishes.

Yeah, my thought too. It's bad enough piling up dirty dishes *into* the
dishwasher but to consider piling them up on the draining board is beyond
the pale imho.

Do you have OCD? Do you wash your hands 30 times a day? It's just a
small amount of food that soon dries out, it doesn't smell.

It's the emptying of the cleaned dishes and cutlery *out* of the
dishwasher which both me and the missus find a bit of a chore. Filling
the dishwasher seems less of a pain (unless your other half is hell bent
on sabotaging your efforts at honing your skills as a "Load Master").

If you use your crockery from the dishwasher, there's hardly any to take
out by the time you do the next load.

I guess one way to eliminate the "Putting the dishes away" problem is to
install *two* dishwasher machines[1] so you can alternate between them as
a clean dishes 'source' and a dirty dishes 'sink' - no need for a full
size dishes/crockery cupboard[2] then! :-)

Why would you need that?

So you don't have to shift the pile on the sink into the
dishwasher when its time to run the dishwasher.

I just use the clean ones in the dishwasher while the dirty ones pile up
on the sink.

Makes more sense to put the dirty stuff straight into the dishwasher
in a kitchen which has been designed to allow the dishwasher to be
left open.

The other alternative to a pair of dishwashers is a single dishwasher
that has spare trays and somewhere to put the extra trays so you
can take the trays of clean stuff out of the dishwasher into the
runners in the cupboard next to it and use the clean stuff out
of those spare trays as you need clean stuff. And put the dirty
stuff straight into the other pair of trays as they get dirty.

Not ideal tho, trays full of dishes arent the lightest thing around.

And if it slips out of your hands you lose a lot of dishes.

Why is it in the 21st century we're still using breakable pots?

--
Why do they rate a movie "R" for "adult language?"
The only people I hear using that language are teenagers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Because the unbreakable ones are considerably more expensive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 00:56:42 +0100, Johnny B Good

Plastic's cheap.

--
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. -- Seneca the Younger 4 b.c.- 65 a.d.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

While it doesn't break as easily, it end up grotty much more quickly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 01:35:00 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

My point exactly, why has plastic not developed into much better things?

--
Are you into casual sex, or should I dress up?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

My point exactly,

Nope.

why has plastic not developed into much better things?

Because it would be much more expensive to have a plastic that
doesn't end up grotty much more quickly than ceramic plates
and glasses etc do even if that is possible and I don't believe it is.

So we accept the fact that being more breakable is something we have to live
with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 08:29:25 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

So you have no idea why we can't make decent plastic?

--
The sensible in the world are doomed to be frustrated by petty, officious idiots.