Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default When we get old (er)

On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 00:09:12 +0100, Davey wrote:

Snip

What tablets?

The things you put in to wash the dishes! The detergent!

I don't use tablets.

Me too neither. I use Finish powder - which you can only get in 1kg
plastic jobs now rather than the 3kg ones that used to be available.
They've pushed all the suckers towards tablets as they are more
expensive.

I buy them for convenience. And they cost **** all, especially
supermarket's own.

But the salt in them is useless as it gets nowhere near the water
softener.

Whatever it does, we use use tablets, we live in a Very Hard Water area,
and we never have any problems associated with hard water when using our
dishwasher.

That's the standard response. I'll keep using the salt. The last
dishwasher lasted nearly 16 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 00:25:53 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:

On Mon, 08 Aug 2016 23:35:09 +0100, Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 08 Aug 2016 22:54:46 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Bob Eager
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Aug 2016 22:29:52 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:

On Mon, 08 Aug 2016 22:08:47 +0100, Bob Eager
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Aug 2016 20:15:59 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:

On Mon, 08 Aug 2016 20:13:29 +0100, wrote:

On Monday, 8 August 2016 16:12:44 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Mon, 08 Aug 2016 13:22:35 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 4 August 2016 21:08:50 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

The latest Bosch only cost me $50 at a garage sale and works
fine.

for me it'd be the running cost that would annoy me I
suspect.

More fool you. It actually costs less to run than doing it by
hand.

Sure? Dishwashers only wash properly at something like 75C.
You don't use anything like that temperature by hand, most of
the work is done by scrubbing, but a dishwasher can't scrub.
You also drip dry things, or dry them with a towel. The
dishwasher uses heat.

Dishwashers use water blasting with grit to scrub dishes.

I didn't realise there was grit in the tablets.

Only old ones use a hot drying cycle now.

Mine is only about 2 years old and it does. So they dry by magic?

What tablets?

The things you put in to wash the dishes! The detergent!

I don't use tablets.

Me too neither. I use Finish powder - which you can only get in 1kg
plastic jobs now rather than the 3kg ones that used to be available.
They've pushed all the suckers towards tablets as they are more
expensive.

http://cpc.farnell.com/shorrock-tric...r-powder-10kg/

dp/
SA01340

Morrisons tablets are 5p each.

I never enter Morrisons.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news

wrote:

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 4 August 2016 21:08:50 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 4 August 2016 09:01:42 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
On 04/08/2016 08:49, Andy Burns wrote:
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

apparently "they don't make dishes
anymore" so we only have deep bowls

My (not ancient) crockery has rice bowls and cereal dishes, I
find
the
rice bowls far better for cereal, than the cereal bowls which
are
too
shallow and slosh out the sides to easily.

you'll appreciate the havoc that
causes trying to load the machine efficiently

Not really, no space for a washdisher here.

Washing up by hand only takes about 3 or 4 minutes with just the
two
of
us.

Even less with takeways. :-)

A Fishwasher is a waste of money to us and simply something else
go
wrong, also takes up unnecessary space.

I cod do with one when I'm really lazy

Can't see why I should be doing what a machine can do for me.

for me it depends on the machine.

It actually depends on how much work is involved in doing it by hand.

I can make a cup of tea all by myself I don;t need a teasmaid
they just seem more trouble than they are worth.

And only a fool thinks that about a dishwasher or washing machine.

I run mine about every 9 days for the normal stuff and another run
for the full sized beer bottles we call long necks every 24 days.

I don't have one to run.

More fool you.

Soemthing wrong with the washing machine at the WE.
took from friday 8pm to sunday 6pm to do a wash
although I turned it off at night.

Time to get it fixed.

If I get off my arse and fix the original one that is now
40+ years old and likely just has a scaled up solenoid
valve, I'll likely have two, mainly so I can just put stuff
straight into the appropriate dishwasher as it is used.

how many of yuo are there ?

One.

The latest Bosch only cost me $50 at a garage sale
and works fine.

for me it'd be the running cost that would annoy me I suspect.

More fool you. It actually costs less to run than doing it by hand.

Sure?

Yep, essentially because hand washing after
every meal uses a hell of a lot more hot water
than running the dishwasher every 4 days or so.

Dishwashers only wash properly at something like 75C. You don't use
anything like that temperature by hand,

Yes, but you use a hell of a lot more water.

most of the work is done by scrubbing, but a dishwasher can't scrub.
You
also drip dry things, or dry them with a towel. The dishwasher uses
heat.

Not always, my original one didn't, just did a hot rinse and you
just open the door when its finished and let the stuff air dry.

I don't need to be there to open the door.

And get to wear the higher cost of doing it the stupid way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Monday, 8 August 2016 21:38:12 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote
Rod Speed wrote
tabbypurr wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote

The latest Bosch only cost me $50 at a garage sale and works fine.

for me it'd be the running cost that would annoy me I suspect.

12-20p a wash versus half an hour or so of hand washing.

Mine is closer to 5p a wash and that is with Finish, not some cheap
****.

Finish costs more than 5p a tablet.

Not at the best prices it is ever sold for it doesnt.

My figure was TCO per wash.

So was mine tho the only additional cost is the cost
of heating the water. I dont bother with rinse aid
and never need to do anything about hard water.

Finish tabs are over 5p each.

Not at the best prices they arent.

Electricity use is over 5p per wash.

Not with the best dishwashers and best electricity prices.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news

wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 4 August 2016 21:08:50 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

The latest Bosch only cost me $50 at a garage sale and works
fine.

for me it'd be the running cost that would annoy me I suspect.

More fool you. It actually costs less to run than doing it by hand.

Sure? Dishwashers only wash properly at something like 75C. You
don't
use anything like that temperature by hand, most of the work is done
by
scrubbing, but a dishwasher can't scrub. You also drip dry things,
or
dry them with a towel. The dishwasher uses heat.

Dishwashers use water blasting with grit to scrub dishes. Only old
ones
use a hot drying cycle now.

That would explain why the new one (new model) I bought last year
uses...errr...heat.

No other way to dry dishes really.

The obvious alternative is a final hot rinse.

More EU greenie regulations?

Nope, my original dishwasher always did it like that and
it was designed before the EU had even been invented.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
Morrisons tablets are 5p each.

I never enter Morrisons.

It's getting out unscathed that is the problem.

--
*Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-08-08, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Bob Eager
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Aug 2016 22:29:52 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:

[36 lines snipped]

The things you put in to wash the dishes! The detergent!

I don't use tablets.

Me too neither.

+1

The only time we tried them, the dishes didn't get properly clean & we
found the soggy remains of the tablet in the bottom of the washer.

I use Finish powder - which you can only get in 1kg plastic jobs now
rather than the 3kg ones that used to be available.

Annoying, isn't it?

Did you see the CPC link I posted for the 10kg tubs?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-08-08, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Bob Eager
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Aug 2016 22:29:52 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:

[36 lines snipped]

The things you put in to wash the dishes! The detergent!

I don't use tablets.

Me too neither.

+1

The only time we tried them, the dishes didn't get properly clean & we
found the soggy remains of the tablet in the bottom of the washer.

I use Finish powder - which you can only get in 1kg plastic jobs now
rather than the 3kg ones that used to be available.

Annoying, isn't it?

Did you see the CPC link I posted for the 10kg tubs?

I did. Have you actually used this stuff? And did it meet with SWNFI
approval?

Been using it for years.

I used to notice a slight chlorine-ey smell but I don't any more. You can
always get teh 5kg tub to try it out!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-08-08, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Bob Eager
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Aug 2016 22:29:52 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:

[36 lines snipped]

The things you put in to wash the dishes! The detergent!

I don't use tablets.

Me too neither.

+1

The only time we tried them, the dishes didn't get properly clean &
we found the soggy remains of the tablet in the bottom of the washer.

Then you clearly need a better designed dishwasher.

I use Finish powder - which you can only get in 1kg plastic
jobs now rather than the 3kg ones that used to be available.

Annoying, isn't it?

They've pushed all the suckers towards tablets as they are more
expensive.

And exactly the same stuff. The science of detergents is hardly advancing
at
breakneck pace. They've got to come up with "New!", "Improved!" somehow.

It has improved significantly with dishwashers and still does.

One brand of tablets that were significantly cheaper than Finish
ended up leaving a bit of a hazed on the glassware after multiple
cycles. Finish never did and the operation that had the dud tablets
eventually fixed theirs so it no longer does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 10:55:23 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

Did you see the CPC link I posted for the 10kg tubs?

10kg £24.50 + free delivery is £2.45/kg or 4.9p per 20g. I don't know what rinse aid adds to that cost. It's very close to the cost of tablets.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 03:42:12 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 10:55:23 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

Did you see the CPC link I posted for the 10kg tubs?

10kg £24.50 + free delivery is £2.45/kg or 4.9p per 20g. I don't know
what rinse aid adds to that cost. It's very close to the cost of
tablets.

I repeat my statement about salt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 12:53:35 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 03:42:12 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 10:55:23 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

Did you see the CPC link I posted for the 10kg tubs?

10kg £24.50 + free delivery is £2.45/kg or 4.9p per 20g. I don't know
what rinse aid adds to that cost. It's very close to the cost of
tablets.

I repeat my statement about salt.

Why? You need to add salt in hardwater areas whichever one you use, so it's immaterial.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

apparently "they don't make dishes
anymore" so we only have deep bowls

My (not ancient) crockery has rice bowls and cereal dishes, I find
the
rice bowls far better for cereal, than the cereal bowls which are
too
shallow and slosh out the sides to easily.

you'll appreciate the havoc that
causes trying to load the machine efficiently

Not really, no space for a washdisher here.

Washing up by hand only takes about 3 or 4 minutes with just the two
of
us.

Even less with takeways. :-)

A Fishwasher is a waste of money to us and simply something else to go
wrong, also takes up unnecessary space.

I cod do with one when I'm really lazy

Can't see why I should be doing what a machine can do for me.

for me it depends on the machine.

It actually depends on how much work is involved in doing it by hand.

If it were significanlty less hassle then I'd think about a machine
but for me it wouldn;t be significanlty less hassle to have a dishwasher.

I can make a cup of tea all by myself I don;t need a teasmaid
they just seem more trouble than they are worth.

And only a fool thinks that about a dishwasher or washing machine.

I can wash a cup up too and much quicker than putting it in a dish washers adding teh detergent settig the cycle then waiting around for it oot finish..

I tend to rinse a used tea cup under hot running water, empty that running water into the cup then empty it, cup then ready to be refiled with hot water to make tea.

I run mine about every 9 days for the normal stuff and another run
for the full sized beer bottles we call long necks every 24 days.

I don't have one to run.

More fool you.

why, I can work out how to do the washing up, I don;t need a list of instructions either.

Soemthing wrong with the washing machine at the WE.
took from friday 8pm to sunday 6pm to do a wash
although I turned it off at night.

Time to get it fixed.

Yep, so time to look at it first, see where the problem is.
-10E is low water pressure as it's happened before, but not sure what -90E is as yet.
I never get these errors when washing dishes.

If I get off my arse and fix the original one that is now
40+ years old and likely just has a scaled up solenoid
valve, I'll likely have two, mainly so I can just put stuff
straight into the appropriate dishwasher as it is used.

how many of yuo are there ?

One.

but you need two dishwashers.

The latest Bosch only cost me $50 at a garage sale
and works fine.

for me it'd be the running cost that would annoy me I suspect.

More fool you. It actually costs less to run than doing it by hand.

That's what they tell you have you actually worked it out for yourself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 8 August 2016 13:24:04 UTC+1, wrote:
On Monday, 8 August 2016 12:31:55 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 4 August 2016 21:08:50 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

The latest Bosch only cost me $50 at a garage sale
and works fine.

for me it'd be the running cost that would annoy me I suspect.

12-20p a wash versus half an hour or so of hand washing.

Takes me less than a few miniutes and a couple of squerts of washing up liquid DOES NOT cost even 12p.
My friend dishwasher runs overnight so not the fastest way to wash a cup you want.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 05:25:35 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

I repeat my statement about salt.

Why? You need to add salt in hardwater areas whichever one you use, so
it's immaterial.

No. Salt doesn't soften water. The water softener in the machine does
that. The salt recharges it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 13:58:59 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 8 August 2016 13:24:04 UTC+1, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 8 August 2016 12:31:55 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 4 August 2016 21:08:50 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

The latest Bosch only cost me $50 at a garage sale
and works fine.

for me it'd be the running cost that would annoy me I suspect.

12-20p a wash versus half an hour or so of hand washing.

Takes me less than a few miniutes and a couple of squerts of washing up liquid DOES NOT cost even 12p.
My friend dishwasher runs overnight so not the fastest way to wash a cup you want.

I don't believe you can wash a dishwasherful of stuff in a few minutes. But seriously, I'm not interested in discussing it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 14:01:26 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 05:25:35 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

I repeat my statement about salt.

Why? You need to add salt in hardwater areas whichever one you use, so
it's immaterial.

No. Salt doesn't soften water. The water softener in the machine does
that. The salt recharges it.

Wake up at the back. Honestly.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Aug 2016 13:01:23 GMT
Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 05:25:35 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

I repeat my statement about salt.

Why? You need to add salt in hardwater areas whichever one you use,
so it's immaterial.

No. Salt doesn't soften water. The water softener in the machine does
that. The salt recharges it.

Agreed, and we find that the tablets do that just fine, even in our Very
Hard Water area. If there is a need to add additional salt, then you are
using the wrong tablets, or the machine's softener is dead. That can
happen.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 14:12:45 UTC+1, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 14:01:26 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 05:25:35 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

I repeat my statement about salt.

Why? You need to add salt in hardwater areas whichever one you use, so
it's immaterial.

No. Salt doesn't soften water. The water softener in the machine does
that. The salt recharges it.

for which you need to put salt in the salt holder either way, whether you use tabs or powder. Thus your comment about salt is 100% irrelevant to the cost of tabs versus powder.

Someone get Bob a brain.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 05:25:35 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

I repeat my statement about salt.

Why? You need to add salt in hardwater areas whichever one you use, so
it's immaterial.

No. Salt doesn't soften water. The water softener in the machine does
that. The salt recharges it.

Why is there salt in washing up liquid, then?

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 14:11:52 UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 13:58:59 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 8 August 2016 13:24:04 UTC+1, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 8 August 2016 12:31:55 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 4 August 2016 21:08:50 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

The latest Bosch only cost me $50 at a garage sale
and works fine.

for me it'd be the running cost that would annoy me I suspect.

12-20p a wash versus half an hour or so of hand washing.

Takes me less than a few miniutes and a couple of squerts of washing up liquid DOES NOT cost even 12p.
My friend dishwasher runs overnight so not the fastest way to wash a cup you want.

I don't believe you can wash a dishwasherful of stuff in a few minutes. But seriously, I'm not interested in discussing it.

At least your right about that, but unkike you it seems I can wash up a cup within a few minutes where as you seem to want to put it in a dishwasher.
But for me to get a dishwahser full of stuff would take me nearly a week, how is that economical or fast.

Perhaps IF I had a family of 4+ or I ran gastro pub, or a resturant or somethijng abopve the scale of just me I migth have condidered a dishwasher.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 14:34:49 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 05:25:35 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

I repeat my statement about salt.

Why? You need to add salt in hardwater areas whichever one you use, so
it's immaterial.

No. Salt doesn't soften water. The water softener in the machine does
that. The salt recharges it.

Why is there salt in washing up liquid, then?

Do the more expensive washing poweders use rock or sea salt or will any salt do. ;-)

I wonder if the cost of adding salt is included in teh calculations.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2016 15:18, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

There's two of us and I can wash up by hand well within 10 minutes
after a meal.
Why on earth would we need a fishwasher! We'd need to buy double of
every piece of cutlery and crockery as well.
After a full dishwasher wash, you'd then have to spend several minutes
putting everything away. What a load of faffing about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 06:12:43 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 14:01:26 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 05:25:35 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

I repeat my statement about salt.

Why? You need to add salt in hardwater areas whichever one you use,
so it's immaterial.

No. Salt doesn't soften water. The water softener in the machine does
that. The salt recharges it.

Wake up at the back. Honestly.

I am awake. You clearly are not. Salt in tablets doesn't work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 06:18:52 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 14:12:45 UTC+1, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 14:01:26 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 05:25:35 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

I repeat my statement about salt.

Why? You need to add salt in hardwater areas whichever one you use,
so it's immaterial.

No. Salt doesn't soften water. The water softener in the machine does
that. The salt recharges it.

for which you need to put salt in the salt holder either way, whether
you use tabs or powder. Thus your comment about salt is 100% irrelevant
to the cost of tabs versus powder.

Someone get Bob a brain.

NT

I give up. You clearly will never understand.

I'm not going to bother to explain; my brain works fine. But as a clue,
you might find out *when* the recharge cycle happens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 15:18:06 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

I can see no basis for such a claim. I knew this would be a brainless discussion.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 15:41:46 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 06:12:43 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 14:01:26 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 05:25:35 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

I repeat my statement about salt.

Why? You need to add salt in hardwater areas whichever one you use,
so it's immaterial.

No. Salt doesn't soften water. The water softener in the machine does
that. The salt recharges it.

Wake up at the back. Honestly.

I am awake. You clearly are not. Salt in tablets doesn't work.

No-one on this thread has claimed salt in tablets does do anything.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 15:43:27 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 06:18:52 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 14:12:45 UTC+1, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 14:01:26 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 05:25:35 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

I repeat my statement about salt.

Why? You need to add salt in hardwater areas whichever one you use,
so it's immaterial.

No. Salt doesn't soften water. The water softener in the machine does
that. The salt recharges it.

for which you need to put salt in the salt holder either way, whether
you use tabs or powder. Thus your comment about salt is 100% irrelevant
to the cost of tabs versus powder.

Someone get Bob a brain.

I give up. You clearly will never understand.

I'm not going to bother to explain; my brain works fine. But as a clue,
you might find out *when* the recharge cycle happens.

I'm taken aback by the extent of your brain failure. Having used ion exchangers I do know enough about them to know that in hard water areas, you still need to put salt in the salt container in a dishwasher. What salt there is or isn't in the detergent tablet is completely irrelevant, it does not recharge the ion exchanger.

At this point I give not one single hoot what else you have to say. Your permissible daily limit of stupid has been exceeded.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Why is there salt in washing up liquid, then?

Do the more expensive washing poweders use rock or sea salt or will any salt do. ;-)

Only from Waitrose.

--
*Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 15:37:32 +0100, Bod wrote:

[...]

Because you're not lazy like us. And I don't put things away either. Dirty dishes collect in piles on the draining board, when it looks like a load, I empty anything left in the dishwasher and stick the dirty things in. As I need things which have run out on the cupboards, I get one from the dishwasher.

--
We always hold hands. If I let go, she shops.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 19:35:54 +0100, Bod wrote:

[...]

What's yuk about it?

--
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2016 19:44, James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

Piling up dirty dishes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 19:51:33 +0100, Bod wrote:

[...]

The dirt dries on pretty quickly.

--
The wife said to me last night "If you turn the bedside lamp off I'll take it up the arse."
Maybe I should have waited for the bulb to cool down first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Why is there salt in washing up liquid, then?

I guess to aid a saponification process to remove grease.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/16 20:17, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 05:25:35 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

I repeat my statement about salt.
Why? You need to add salt in hardwater areas whichever one you
use, so
it's immaterial.

No. Salt doesn't soften water. The water softener in the machine does
that. The salt recharges it.

Why is there salt in washing up liquid, then?

there isn't

To impress mugs like you, I shud think.

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

[...]

Corse it would if you use it properly. Leave it open, put stuff in it after
you have used it. When its something like full, close the door and run it.

Even if your kitchen is so badly designed that you can't leave it open
even you should be able to manage to open the door to put some
more stuff in it after the meal and to close the door after doing that.

I can make a cup of tea all by myself I don;t need a teasmaid
they just seem more trouble than they are worth.

And only a fool thinks that about a dishwasher or washing machine.

I can wash a cup up too and much quicker than putting it in a dish washers

Bull**** you can.

adding teh detergent settig the cycle

Even a terminal ****wit such as yourself should have noticed that you
only have to do that when its close to full of stuff that needs washing.

then waiting around for it oot finish.

Even a terminal ****wit such as yourself should have noticed
that you dont actually have to wait around while it happens.

I tend to rinse a used tea cup under hot running water,
empty that running water into the cup then empty it,
cup then ready to be refiled with hot water to make tea.

Even a terminal ****wit such as yourself should have noticed
that there is more involved than just the cup for the tea.

I run mine about every 9 days for the normal stuff and another run
for the full sized beer bottles we call long necks every 24 days.

I don't have one to run.

More fool you.

why,

Because its a lot easier and wastes a lot less of your time
putting stuff in a dishwasher and running it when its close
to full than washing all that stuff by hand after ever meal.

Soemthing wrong with the washing machine at the WE.
took from friday 8pm to sunday 6pm to do a wash
although I turned it off at night.

Time to get it fixed.

If I get off my arse and fix the original one that is now
40+ years old and likely just has a scaled up solenoid
valve, I'll likely have two, mainly so I can just put stuff
straight into the appropriate dishwasher as it is used.

how many of yuo are there ?

One.

but you need two dishwashers.

Dont need two, I choose to have two.

The latest Bosch only cost me $50 at a garage sale
and works fine.

for me it'd be the running cost that would annoy me I suspect.

More fool you. It actually costs less to run than doing it by hand.

That's what they tell you

No one ever told me that.

have you actually worked it out for yourself.

Yep. And even if it didnt, the cost is so low that I'm not
actually stupid enough to do that by hand to save so little.

Washing the clothes by hand instead of in the machine
would save me a little since I wash entirely in cold water
but I'm not actually stupid enough to do that by hand either.